Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Excuse me quick-step

I'm sure RK's favourite dance would be an Excuse-me Quickstep. Because whenever he sends a football team it is always "after you".

It must be his good upbringing and basic decency. Preston was the same. Give the opposition the initiative and see if we can't get back at em later.

This game was so predictable that a forum member explained exactly what was going to happen before kick-off, I nodded my head and then we watched it unfold.

Defensive overload with Stearman/Maybury and lots of zonal marking to stop Derby playing...

Everything according to plan until half-time when my friend said Davies would whip his team into an attacking frenzy and I said that would mean us conceding the goal we always concede and then we'd start to attack.

Right on cue and exactly as per script.

RK always intended to use Hammond's pace and Levi's skill but as usual me had to be losing before we finally committed to attack.

Levi should ask the statisticians to only record the scoring when he's on the field against his name cos Kelly's going to ruin his record if he's only going to use him as a trouibleshooter when we're losing.

Anyway it was like a ray of sunlight. A bloke behind us had not watched City for two years and called them a disgrace to football after the first half which was hardly likely to make his young son - there for the first time - a potential life supporter.

We said it had actually been quite competent by City standards and if he wants real despair he should watch more often.

Then he saw Levi and asked us why the hell he hadn't played from the start?. I was tempted to say Hullfox and Babylon didn't like him much but couldn't remember if that was actually true so I said it was a bit late for him to be out on a Saturday.

Anyway suddenly Levi was suddenly getting into the heart of Derby's defence like a pintsized scarab beetle, City were stringing five and six passes together, unlikely players started passing and moving, even Hughes and Nils wanted to get involved and I think Tiatto had our first serious shot after 80-odd minutes.

What a treat that was. And it wasn't all. Porter pushed two great balls into the box which almost produced goals, McAuley was so close to a far post header, Hammond scored his goal that the referee contrived a reason to disallow and Hughes whacked a cracker just over the bar in the last seconds.

Suddenly from barely a sniff of goal in 80 minutes we are cracking four worthwhile efforts in 10 minutes and so close to a breakthrough twice more.

And you were left wondering why, why, why does our manager refuse to pick a proper football team in the first place?

I'd implored him to play three up front with Hammond out wide and implored him to use Levi's ability to pass and move. It wasn't the players who really lost that football match today. It was our after-you tactics.

Kelly, once again, was always one step behind Davies tactically. Yes, he was unlucky we didn't equalise but if you leave it too late to attack that is always likely to happen.

I agree with what you say. I think Kelly's tactical thinking isn't the worse its just that he doesn't like to implement it. Hes just a coach still acting like a caretaker manager. Hes stepping ice, in my opinion. He always goes for the safe predictable option with the same predicable results. He doesn't want to unset anyone with his team selection.

In Kellys defence, Johnson (crap ass), Weslo and Williams were out injured. But, why did he play Maybury? Why didn't he start Silly Sylla? Fooking container football thats the only reason. Welsh is bollox. He has never had a good game for us only average as best IMO. I wanted him to do well at first because Tiatto was going through a psychotic session. But he is simular to Low, just out of his depth.

Boring rant over.

Thracian what do you think of McAuley' s stint in attack. I found it an interesting idea albeit desperate but it stinks of leveinism who loved to play players out of position

no-one complained when walsh or elliott we used like that, he wins headers but i have no idea how good his shooting is

Then he saw Levi and asked us why the hell he hadn't played from the start?. I was tempted to say Hullfox and Babylon didn't like him much but couldn't remember if that was actually true so I said it was a bit late for him to be out on a Saturday.

You were right... it isn't true.

Thracian what do you think of McAuley' s stint in attack. I found it an interesting idea albeit desperate but it stinks of leveinism who loved to play players out of position

And Kelly doesn't?

It's serves for an occasional ploy and providing it's as an addition to the front line as it was yesterday. His lack of pace is embarrassing when he plays up front and while he was a nuisance he didn't dominate in the air.

I'd definitely look at 3-4-3 again though. In days past they played 2-3-5 and I've often wondered why you need four at the back when so many teams only play two or even one up front away from home.

Stearman could probably adapt well in a more attacking team to playing the wide right midfield roll, Hammond would be much more dangerous in a three-man attack and Porter is well capable of switching anywhere you like from the left.

With Hammond, Hume and Dodds up front and Stearman, Hughes Tiatto, Porter in midfield it's still light on firepower for me but its got more potential than 4-4-2. It's almost balanced.

Archived