Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lookwhaticando

The Wheels have come off the U18 campaign

lol

Perhaps an exaggeration - but they did lose for once. ;)

Young Foxes Fall To Watford

0,,10274~2995211,00.jpg

Leicester City's under 18 side suffered only their second league defeat of the season when they went down 2-1 at Watford on Saturday.

The young Foxes went into the game looking to banish any memories of Wednesday night's FA Youth Cup defeat to Wolves.

But City would again come unstuck against a very physical Hornets side.

An excellent free kick from Ryan Beswick had given Leicester the lead during the first period, but the home side hit back before the break to make it all square.

And Watford would go on to add a second during the second period to take all three points on the day.

Walkers Youth Academy manager Jon Rudkin said: "The result brings to an end a disappointing week for the Academy, but that shouldn't take anything away from our performance during the first half of the season.

"It was a very physical game. We had to weather the storm during the first period, but we were then able to take the lead through Ryan Beswick.

"But we didn't create much in the second period and Watford were able to go on and win the game."

City: Cisak, Tuttle (Rowe-Turner), Mattock, Lycett, Garner, Gradel (C King), A King, Tejan-Sie, Beswick, McKay, Odhiambo.

OS

lol

Perhaps an exaggeration - but they did lose for once. ;)

OS

I expected it. Watford are an excellent side - one of the few who can regularly match Leicester - and the lads would have been knackered after extra time on Wenesday.

They'd also have been psychologically a bit down

Two defeats in a row. :o

Beaglehole out? lol

Thankfully the nature of the defeats were entirely different to that of our first team setbacks.

As far as I am concerned the main thrust of my criticiism of Kelly has never been about winning or losing it has been about his team selection and tactics.

I didn't feel any differently when the first team won yesterday because the same old problems remained.

Beaglehole lost on Wednesday watching his team have about 60 shots to the oppositions 10. And on Saturday he had a still recovering side, some of whom were injured and I doubt he had many options for naming replacements.

The team, of course, remains top of the League.

Even now we muight not win it. But we do get committed attacking football, the team has scored 31 goals more than the opposition and I don't think we'll be adapting a negative strategy anytime soon.

Watford are a good side. They showed it at Belvoir Drive earlier this season and it would seem they showed it again on Saturday. They've got a Christmas break now to re-charge their batteries physically and mentally and even if their results continue to take a slight downward slide, as long as the performances remain of a similar standard as the first half of the season it should be viewed as a positive season for the under 18s.

Watford are a good side. They showed it at Belvoir Drive earlier this season and it would seem they showed it again on Saturday. They've got a Christmas break now to re-charge their batteries physically and mentally and even if their results continue to take a slight downward slide, as long as the performances remain of a similar standard as the first half of the season it should be viewed as a positive season for the under 18s.

Having said all that though I don't think it is any coincidence that results have slipped in the absence of Max Gradel.

The point about Gradel is that he has to be closely marked or even double-banked and that makes loads more space for people like Odhiambo and Billy McKay - and loads more space for Kingy to run into.

Only two goals in the last two matches is glaring evidence really from a team which has previously been so rampant.

I expected it. Watford are an excellent side - one of the few who can regularly match Leicester - and the lads would have been knackered after extra time on Wenesday.

They'd also have been psychologically a bit down

Indeed, quite how a under 18 team managed to defeat our all conquering (FA cup aside of course) team with the next David Platt in the middle I don't know.

Maybe Watford should start playing their youth team in the Premier League.

Indeed, quite how a under 18 team managed to defeat our all conquering (FA cup aside of course) team with the next David Platt in the middle I don't know.

Maybe Watford should start playing their youth team in the Premier League.

Watford have long matched City's youth team and Leicester would have still been recovering from playing extra time on the Wednesday - nothing unusual in a team struggling after such an effort.

I've no idea how King played that day but he was absolutely outstanding agaisnt Wolves Academy and had more shots in one night than our combined first team midfield have in a month.

David Platt was exceptional as a "ghosting" midfield player but I can still remember him being on the losing side.

Perhaps you can remember good players who were never on the losing side but I can't. And King is on the losing side a lot less regularly than our first team midfielders, that's for sure.

Watford have long matched City's youth team and Leicester would have still been recovering from playing extra time on the Wednesday - nothing unusual in a team struggling after such an effort.

I've no idea how King played that day but he was absolutely outstanding agaisnt Wolves Academy and had more shots in one night than our combined first team midfield have in a month.

David Platt was exceptional as a "ghosting" midfield player but I can still remember him being on the losing side.

Perhaps you can remember good players who were never on the losing side but I can't. And King is on the losing side a lot less regularly than our first team midfielders, that's for sure.

lol because he plays in a crisps and pop league, You cannot call him the best player at this club based on his performances in a league that isn't even Confernce level, and most defenders are caught ball watching/making awful mistakes regularley.

lol because he plays in a crisps and pop league, You cannot call him the best player at this club based on his performances in a league that isn't even Confernce level, and most defenders are caught ball watching/making awful mistakes regularley.

You don't need to go to Academy level to find players making mistakes like trying to run with the ball in defence....just go to the Walkers and watch the first team.

And some of the defending I watched in the Premiership this week was laughable. Ask Stuart Pearce if you're not convinced.

You don't need to go to Academy level to find players making mistakes like trying to run with the ball in defence....just go to the Walkers and watch the first team.

And some of the defending I watched in the Premiership this week was laughable. Ask Stuart Pearce if you're not convinced.

So your telling that the overall level of defending and mistakes made, correct positions taken up, line keeping and man marking is of the same standerd in the Premier league as it is in the Under 18's league. Because if you don't believe that you've got no point.

So your telling that the overall level of defending and mistakes made, correct positions taken up, line keeping and man marking is of the same standerd in the Premier league as it is in the Under 18's league. Because if you don't believe that you've got no point.

Exactly how you moved from what I said to what you're saying I'm saying I've no idea.

Exactly how you moved from what I said to what you're saying I'm saying I've no idea.

Well I stated that defending at under 18 level is poor which is why Andy King and Ashley Chambers may well look like David Platt and Ian Wright, you then started talking about this weeks shambolic Premier League display from Man City. I wasn't suggesting you believe That Premier League Defending is of the same stander as the under 18 league, I was suggesting you have no valid point, which you don't.

Well I stated that defending at under 18 level is poor which is why Andy King and Ashley Chambers may well look like David Platt and Ian Wright, you then started talking about this weeks shambolic Premier League display from Man City. I wasn't suggesting you believe That Premier League Defending is of the same stander as the under 18 league, I was suggesting you have no valid point, which you don't.

My point was that Andy King is the best attacking midfielder at the club. You've said nothing to convince me otherwise.

we should gamble with a under 18 player. either king or gradel.

looking at teams in our league some of the best players are around the 18 mark.

birmingham - best player is 18, albeit on loan from arsenal

ipswich - billy clarke, owen garvan, danny haynes

derby - gilles barnes

there maybe some more aswel but i cant be bothered to go through every side. im not saying any of our players are better than these but they are doing well and deserve a chance. how will we know if their good enough if we don't give them a go. i think we have missed our chance to give king a go, should of been when we had our centre mid injury crisis.

I honestly think that if Kelly thought the youngsters were good enough he would play them. I dont buy this 'chosen men' fallacy, i simply think that Kelly doesn't feel they are ready yet - whether or not he is right is another matter. I think it can easily be forgotten how throwing in a young player too early can harm their development - Freddy Adu in the Us was reckoned to have come off the boil for 18mnths due to over exposure at an early age. I am all for the if they are good enough they are old enough, but if Dodds et al are so good why is noone loaning them (or in Dodds case noone in the league).

Also I do think that although his tactics and motivation arent great, I think Rob knows better than us when it comes to this. He was a very well regarded coach of younger players and he is not afraid to pay the - witness Levi and Logan.

Some of the hyperbole on here would make other teams fans think we have some of the best youngsters in the country. King better than Williams? If that were the case I think Abramovic and Arsene would be sniffing round

Having said all that though I don't think it is any coincidence that results have slipped in the absence of Max Gradel.

The point about Gradel is that he has to be closely marked or even double-banked and that makes loads more space for people like Odhiambo and Billy McKay - and loads more space for Kingy to run into.

Only two goals in the last two matches is glaring evidence really from a team which has previously been so rampant.

According to the OS Gradel played on Saturday at Watford and we lost but our biggest win of recent weeks came against Bristol City when Gradel didn't play any part due to suspension. I take your point that Gradel is a danger to opposition defences but he was involved in the draw at Spurs and defeat at Watford so I think there's more to this slight dip in form than just Gradel.

Archived