Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tevez

David Connolly

Do we miss him? I think we do. Even though we have got hume and fryatt, i still we have had striker problems since connolys departure.

Not enough to get his name right. :unsure::rolleyes::ph34r:

So he's back then? Taken him long enough....

I was actually only asking, but TPH cleared it up anyway. He did score yesterday but has been a nobody for the past couple of seasons. I'm sure he'd have done well for us, but we had to let him go for the price being offered for him. If he can stay fit and get a run going in the Sunderland team, we should be able to see whether we'd have missed him or not. The season he went though he didn't start too badly :)

I was actually only asking, but TPH cleared it up anyway. He did score yesterday but has been a nobody for the past couple of seasons. I'm sure he'd have done well for us, but we had to let him go for the price being offered for him. If he can stay fit and get a run going in the Sunderland team, we should be able to see whether we'd have missed him or not. The season he went though he didn't start too badly :)

He was always lively for us and always offered us an option. Due to deficiencies elsewhere though (like everybody's darling Gudjonsson), Connolly always had to come short and deep for the ball, meaning he wasn't really in an area to 'hurt' teams for us.

A hat-trick against Stoke distorted his figures a bit and then Wigan panicked and overpaid for him.

Good player and if we were to change our playing style and sign a goalscorer too, I think he could be a good signing. Problem is he's fairly similar to Hume in terms of the spaces on the pitch he likes to occupy. Playing both could be an issue.

He was always lively for us and always offered us an option. Due to deficiencies elsewhere though (like everybody's darling Gudjonsson), Connolly always had to come short and deep for the ball, meaning he wasn't really in an area to 'hurt' teams for us.

A hat-trick against Stoke distorted his figures a bit and then Wigan panicked and overpaid for him.

Good player and if we were to change our playing style and sign a goalscorer too, I think he could be a good signing. Problem is he's fairly similar to Hume in terms of the spaces on the pitch he likes to occupy. Playing both could be an issue.

Spot on he was very good for us but was always in the wrong areas of the pitch due to getting no service!

Always dropped deep to provide for others or having the occasional 20 yard shot, sounding familliar yet?

:rolleyes:

Not a big Gudjonsson fan then TPH??

I agree that the hat-trick against Stoke may have made him look better than he was (I think even De Vries started that season off by scoring more goals than Connolly), not that I'm complaining because we got a fee he wasn't worth because of it.

However the problem you have spoken about (Connolly playing in the same places almost identical to the way Hume plays) would leave us with absolutely zero options further forward (because our midfield bar Levi is scared to go towards the opposing box). Because of their similarities we wouldn't be best advised to get DC back. We should concentrate on getting Fatty Fryatt fit again and signing a goalscorer first. If this doesn't work out for us then Connolly may be worth looking at.

He's not what we need right now.

In fact with Fryatt lying idle and Dodds still completely untried I'm not even certain we need a striker.

We certainly need an attacking midfielder but even then we also need a manager who's prepared to play him.

And he needs to be better than the guy we refuse to use, Andy King.

We also need a genuine right winger who's better than another guy we refuse to use, Max Gradel.

Finally we need a proper, natural left-back who can offer proper backing to Levi on the left.

With all those we'll be creating a reasonable amount of chances in a variety of ways and we will see if our strikers really are a bit duff or whether, in fact, they blossom given the right sort of service.

But forced to buy a striker, I would go for a big, strong, awkward so-and-so with a bit more touch and close control than DeVries could manage.

He would provide us with options that don't exist at the moment either from normal play or from set pieces.

A Duncan Ferguson, John Toshack, Joe Royle type if you like.

Not a big Gudjonsson fan then TPH??

I agree that the hat-trick against Stoke may have made him look better than he was (I think even De Vries started that season off by scoring more goals than Connolly), not that I'm complaining because we got a fee he wasn't worth because of it.

However the problem you have spoken about (Connolly playing in the same places almost identical to the way Hume plays) would leave us with absolutely zero options further forward (because our midfield bar Levi is scared to go towards the opposing box). Because of their similarities we wouldn't be best advised to get DC back. We should concentrate on getting Fatty Fryatt fit again and signing a goalscorer first. If this doesn't work out for us then Connolly may be worth looking at.

The point would be that to accomodate 2 players in the same mould, you'd need to probably play one on each side just behind the forwards in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 type system like Chelsea have been known to play with 2 from Duff/Robben/SWP etc in the past.

It would need a massive change in terms of playing staff and someone other than RK (4/4/2) in charge.

In a 4-4-2, no point having Hume and Connolly.

Besides there are many other positions which need cover/strengthening before Hume's place in under threat, IMO.

Anyway, seeing as I've hit the nail on the head, presumably that's thread over.

Goodnight Vienna.

Archived