Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
dandannieldanok

Steve Thompson

As i'm only 16, I can scarecely remember the LCFC of the early 90s. For christmas I got the best 120 goals in LCFC history and noticed Thompson a few times throughout the countdown of goals. I asked my dad about him and he said he was a good player. Is that true or is he being kind?

He had a very good strike on him. Most fans liked him from what I can remember, good player. Bit of unsung hero as El Fezzlearley has said

Scored a belter on his debut at Oxford (if it wasn't his first game is was very soon after it).

Very pedestrian, but his passing, vision, ability to read the game and shooting more than made up for it. He really benefited from having Steve Agnew doing the donkey work alongside him.

That equaliser against Swindon still sends shivers down my spine.

Although I'm not 'too young' to remember him, I only started supporting City around '94, so I don't remember him much.

However, my overriding memory of Steve Thompson was when we were in the Premiership for the first time. We were playing Liverpool at home, and were awarded a penalty. Up steps Thompson...and hits the post. The ball rebounds back to him and he slots away the rebound...only to be flagged offside! I was listening to the Radio Leicester commentary and was jumping up and down celebrating what I thought was a goal - it was only then that I realised that you could be offside from a penalty when it rebounds off the woodwork!

Although I'm not 'too young' to remember him, I only started supporting City around '94, so I don't remember him much.

However, my overriding memory of Steve Thompson was when we were in the Premiership for the first time. We were playing Liverpool at home, and were awarded a penalty. Up steps Thompson...and hits the post. The ball rebounds back to him and he slots away the rebound...only to be flagged offside! I was listening to the Radio Leicester commentary and was jumping up and down celebrating what I thought was a goal - it was only then that I realised that you could be offside from a penalty when it rebounds off the woodwork!

Sorry to burst your bubble Anish but you can't be offside from a penalty in the context you have explained. The player taking the kick can only score from a rebound if another player has touched the ball first, hence why the goal following the rebound off the frame of the goal was chalked off.

Now I am off to a party.

Sorry to burst your bubble Anish but you can't be offside from a penalty in the context you have explained. The player taking the kick can only score from a rebound if another player has touched the ball first, hence why the goal following the rebound off the frame of the goal was chalked off.

Nope mate the woodwork counts as the oppositions player, it's the same from a corner.

Qualified referee here. :thup:

Now I am off to a party.

I take it you didn't read my post properly??

I said I only realised about the offside law from a penalty AFTER Thompson's goal was disallowed. Hence why I was celebrating when the commentator described Thompson scoring from the rebound.

I described Thompson being offside when the ball rebounded back to him off the post - so I was correct after all.

As i'm only 16, I can scarecely remember the LCFC of the early 90s. For christmas I got the best 120 goals in LCFC history and noticed Thompson a few times throughout the countdown of goals. I asked my dad about him and he said he was a good player. Is that true or is he being kind?

Thommo was a great player and a top bloke. When i was about 13 we'd just moved to Blackpool from Leicester and i got myself a paper round and Thommo's mum used to work there, i told her i was a City fan and to which she got him to bring me loads of signed stuff up and hand it to me personally which i thought was special being only 13 at the time. (I've still got the stuff and im 29 tomorrow.)

He used to own a laundrette in Blackpool to did thommo and i think he still ownes it and they wash all the kits for BFC, whre i beleive he's the reserve team manager now. (Dont quote me on the BFC reserves bit).

I take it you didn't read my post properly??

I said I only realised about the offside law from a penalty AFTER Thompson's goal was disallowed. Hence why I was celebrating when the commentator described Thompson scoring from the rebound.

I described Thompson being offside when the ball rebounded back to him off the post - so I was correct after all.

i was at that game, sat right behind the goal where the penalty was. barton was right it's because no member of the opposition, or another one of our players, touched the ball. as for being offside, you can only be offside if the ball is passed forward, impossible from a rebound.

i was at that game, sat right behind the goal where the penalty was. barton was right it's because no member of the opposition, or another one of our players, touched the ball. as for being offside, you can only be offside if the ball is passed forward, impossible from a rebound.

So why was the goal disallowed if he wasn't offside then?

I liked him. He was an unsung hero of the Little years IMO. Players like him don't get mentioned much on here cos a lot of the posters are slightly too young to remember that era, like yourself. His finest hour had to be the Swindon play-off final. Belter of a goal that day.

Wow yes I remember him running back to the halfway line with a big smile on his face...that was definately a good moment for him, he was so solid and reliable that he was almost anonymous..bloody good at doing what he did!

Let's be clear, the law states that

'the player...cannot play the ball a second time until it has touched or been played by another player'.

In other words offside is not a factor if only the player (the kick taker) has touched the ball.

Thompson was sold because he did not work hard enough box to box. I was told this by the man who sold him.

because your only allowed to touch the ball once from penalty/ free kick, as no other player had touched the ball he had touched the ball twice.

he was a quality player with an eye for a pass. a great passer.

chipped in with some goals too.

brian littles team were hardly footballing but he added that element.

it was a shame he never stepped up his level when we went up to the premiership in 94-95.

he was a bit like garry parker you could say

because your only allowed to touch the ball once from penalty/ free kick, as no other player had touched the ball he had touched the ball twice.

Yes.

Basically, if you think about it it's like Thompson taking a touch to himself and then shooting - not allowed on any set plays until another player touches it.

He was not flagged offside (I remember the incident too) the referee gave a goal but the linesman flagged as he knew it should not be allowed.

Yes.

Basically, if you think about it it's like Thompson taking a touch to himself and then shooting - not allowed on any set plays until another player touches it.

He was not flagged offside (I remember the incident too) the referee gave a goal but the linesman flagged as he knew it should not be allowed.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I presumed he was offside because that's what they said on the radio commentary.

Archived