Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BartonFox

Paddy McCarthy

I see the scapegoating season is in full swing and the usual suspects have had their say. :yawn::yawn::yawn:

But any of the criticisms aimed at McCarthy could just have easily applied to a certain Steve Walsh during any of his first FIVE YEARS at our club.

It took a decent manager in Brian Little to make him a legend. I see no reason why the same shouldn't happen to Macca in due course.

But in this day and age in football, do players get that amount of time to 'come good'. If the MM deal goes through and we get a new manager who hasn't been part of the set-up that bought McCarthy here, it wouldn't surprise me to see him not get several more seasons to improve.

I see the scapegoating season is in full swing and the usual suspects have had their say. :yawn::yawn::yawn:

But any of the criticisms aimed at McCarthy could just have easily applied to a certain Steve Walsh during any of his first FIVE YEARS at our club.

It took a decent manager in Brian Little to make him a legend. I see no reason why the same shouldn't happen to Macca in due course.

To be fair Walshy wasn't that bad, he wasn't the player we all know and love, but he wasn't that bad, he was however in exactly the same position Paddy finds himself now!

Playing in a shoite team.

Little came along and transformed the team using Walsh as his player to build the team around.

I can't see Kelly or any other manager for that matter, doing the same with Paddy.

Has someone hacked your account or have you been on the piss all week? Some of your posts recently have been hilarious. :D

Thanks?

:unsure::cry::dunno::ph34r::blush:

ETA: Sorry, did you say 'have you been on TPH all week?!' Richard Morgan Fliehr (yes I did look that up)!

What scapegoating :dunno:

Go on list the qualities that McCarthey has to be in the first team?

He can't pass or tackle.

He has no pace or positional sense.

He instills no confidence what so ever in any of the players.

McCarthey will soon follow the Chris O'Grady career path on his way to Racing Club Warwick.

What scapegoating :dunno:

Go on list the qualities that McCarthey has to be in the first team?

He can't pass or tackle.

He has no pace or positional sense.

He instills no confidence what so ever in any of the players.

McCarthey will soon follow the Chris O'Grady career path on his way to Racing Club Warwick.

His positional sense is very poor and that’s his main weakness, he's young and if he's going to become a good defender at this level it will need to improve with age. As far as pace goes he's slow but when compared with others in this division he's probably on par.

I disagree with you on the tackling, he's made some good tackles this season, he's made some poor ones, I definitely wouldn't say he can't tackle. Again he isn't that best passer of the ball but then what centre half is at this level.

I understand the criticism of McCarthy, I've personal have never been one to say he's the next Steve Walsh, his temperament is awful and he lad doesn't have half of the qualities Walsh did, but he's still young. The juries out as far as I'm concerned.

The reason he's got some much abuse recently is down to McAuleys good form. Making him captain was a big mistake, how he is suppose to control a team when he can't even control himself is beyond me.

I do like the lad though. When he first signed he looked promising but he seems to have found reverse gear, he seems to have got worse since being made captain I see it as unneeded pressure tbh. with Madaric coming hopefully the outlook of this football club will change and we may see him leave and someone better coming which would be what I want. But there are other areas of this football team that need addressing first before going out and finding a better CB than McCarthy.

One thing I can't stand is the bandwagoning that’s going on yet again, this happened with Rab Douglas, Momo Sylla, Josh Low, Andy Johnson, Stephen Hughes the list goes on. Some of them deserved it others less so, I'm sure if you look across that list Baron you'll see a name or two that you feel has got a unfair amount of stick.

His positional sense is very poor and that’s his main weakness, he's young and if he's going to become a good defender at this level it will need to improve with age. As far as pace goes he's slow but when compared with others in this division he's probably on par.

I disagree with you on the tackling, he's made some good tackles this season, he's made some poor ones, I definitely wouldn't say he can't tackle. Again he isn't that best passer of the ball but then what centre half is at this level.

I understand the criticism of McCarthy, I've personal have never been one to say he's the next Steve Walsh, his temperament is awful and he lad doesn't have half of the qualities Walsh did, but he's still young. The juries out as far as I'm concerned.

The reason he's got some much abuse recently is down to McAuleys good form. Making him captain was a big mistake, how he is suppose to control a team when he can't even control himself is beyond me.

I do like the lad though. When he first signed he looked promising but he seems to have found reverse gear, he seems to have got worse since being made captain I see it as unneeded pressure tbh. with Madaric coming hopefully the outlook of this football club will change and we may see him leave and someone better coming which would be what I want. But there are other areas of this football team that need addressing first before going out and finding a better CB than McCarthy.

One thing I can't stand is the bandwagoning that’s going on yet again, this happened with Rab Douglas, Momo Sylla, Josh Low, Andy Johnson, Stephen Hughes the list goes on. Some of them deserved it others less so, I'm sure if you look across that list Baron you'll see a name or two that you feel has got a unfair amount of stick.

McCarthey isn't good enough, but the longer the manager dangles him in the first team the more stick he will get. It is finally dawning on the masses he isn't all that.

What gets me is he has shown no improvement whatsoever since he arrived and his ill discipline in play and attitude means he gets no leeway from me. He is not 'young' he has played the game all his life so these excuses pounded out by Kelly et al is nothing but lies.

As for the others they have all been criticised for being crap, although I agree Douglas, Sylla and Hughes have suffered from pre concieved prejudices.

McCarthey isn't good enough, but the longer the manager dangles him in the first team the more stick he will get. It is finally dawning on the masses he isn't all that.

What gets me is he has shown no improvement whatsoever since he arrived and his ill discipline in play and attitude means he gets no leeway from me. He is not 'young' he has played the game all his life so these excuses pounded out by Kelly et al is nothing but lies.

As for the others they have all been criticised for being crap, although I agree Douglas, Sylla and Hughes have suffered from pre concieved prejudices.

There I was nodding my head and then your flag flying for Scotland gets a little too enthusiastic. :D

Yes Hughes has pulled his socks off and is nothing like the disappointment he was earlier in the season.

It's so long since I've watched Douglas that I wouldn't have a clue what he's like nowadays and Sylla - well I saw quite enough of him in his first two months at Leicester - and his record overall only confirms what I thought then.

...along with Kisnorbo. Look at the slating we were giving HIM this time last year.

Perhaps this forum should be renamed "SheepTalk". Half the posters on here have no original opinions of their own, but just seem to follow the crowd - and next season they'll be following Derby anyway! :angry:

To be fair, there are very few on here who watched Stevie Walsh play in his first few years at the club

I did, which is why I was able to make the comparison.

In his early years, Walshy was fierce, passionate and an excellent leader - but also prone to horrendous lapses in concentration and discipline. If message boards had existed back in the 80s I have no doubt they'd have been swamped with demands that he should be kicked out of the club.

A lot of the current critics of McCarthy have been so consistently wrong on other issues that their judgement has no credibility whatsoever, least of all with the club'smanagement.

...along with Kisnorbo. Look at the slating we were giving HIM this time last year.

Perhaps this forum should be renamed "SheepTalk". Half the posters on here have no original opinions of their own, but just seem to follow the crowd - and next season they'll be following Derby anyway! :angry:

He was awful in midfield :dunno:

with our current players he would be better suited to a 3 man centre half set up

mccarthy mcauley and kisnorbo

this would work and each player would have more support

:thumbup: Even though I agree, I think it would mean that we would need very good wingers that can get back because we'd be a big liability on the flanks.

Are you having a little competition with yourself to come up with the biggest pile of shite ever written on an internet messageboard or what?

A lot of the current critics of McCarthy have been so consistently wrong on other issues that their judgement has no credibility whatsoever, least of all with the club's management.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

He was awful in midfield :dunno:

Which is, of course, what he was slated for. I cannot recall much criticism of him as a centre-back. He's not perfect by any means but he's showed himself capable of being a solid spoke in a once-solid wheel.

Frankly though he's not quick and, for sure, one slow defender is enough in a back line.

McAuley, to me, is far too slow for a full-back. I'd always want pacey defenders on the flanks. I'd actually like to see Stearman at centre-half if the opportunity arose, with either Kisnorbo or McAuley.

Maybury could then go to his proper position at right-back and, until we find someone else, I'd favour Tiatto at left-back with Sheehan on the bench.

I honestly believe we'd be better able to quell a storm - as against Fulham - with fast defenders who are able to push up, than slow defenders who get slower as the game progresses.

When this happens, the midfielders either sit back to offer added protection - invariably fatal because of the pressure you invite - or there is too big a gap between defence and midfield which the opposition can exploit.

I certainly have nothing against McCarthy and I think hes an ok player at this level, I also like the passion he shows on the pitch and always comes over to the fans.

However I would say 3 things about him:

1) McAuley is much better than him at centre back

2) McCarthy is often a liability as he gets sent off, carded and makes mistakes at the back.

3) He shouldn't be captain because although he shows the passion, hes often suspended and is not good enough to be in the team.

So basically I think hes a good back up player at the club who still has time on his side but currently McAuley is far better and more consistant.

Which is, of course, what he was slated for. I cannot recall much criticism of him as a centre-back. He's not perfect by any means but he's showed himself capable of being a solid spoke in a once-solid wheel.

Frankly though he's not quick and, for sure, one slow defender is enough in a back line.

Are you on about Kisnorbo here? Because I thought he was one of our faster players.

Are you on about Kisnorbo here? Because I thought he was one of our faster players.

He reads the situation well and acts quickly and positively most times but I think he's got stamina and strength rather than any great pace.

Unfortunately I think all our defenders struggle against pace but particularly the bigger lads.

But look at a top side. Invariably they will have fast defenders.

People who can support high and cover quick.

Paddy hasn't had the best of seasons, but he still has time on his side. He's only 23 - you can't expect him to be the complete defender by that age and with the added pressure of captaincy he's bound to make mistakes. There's definitely enough raw talent there to turn him into a very good centre-back, he just needs the right coaching.

I disagree with the people who think he should be stripped of the captaincy - I think if Rob shows faith in him then it will pay off. And, to be honest, we haven't got anyone who'd do a better job.

Paddy hasn't had the best of seasons, but he still has time on his side. He's only 23 - you can't expect him to be the complete defender by that age and with the added pressure of captaincy he's bound to make mistakes. There's definitely enough raw talent there to turn him into a very good centre-back, he just needs the right coaching.

I disagree with the people who think he should be stripped of the captaincy - I think if Rob shows faith in him then it will pay off. And, to be honest, we haven't got anyone who'd do a better job.

I'd give it to Kisnorbo, Johansson, Maybury, Hughes or Wesolowski before considering McCarthey.

I'd give it to Kisnorbo, Johansson, Maybury, Hughes or Wesolowski before considering McCarthey.

Kisnorbo - excellent player, yes, but lacks the inspirational qualities to be a good captain.

Johansson - recently frozen out of the side and is probably on his way out of the club, so not really an ideal candidate.

Hughes - :laugh:

Wesolowski - you'd give the captaincy to a 19-year-old who's not even a first team regular? :blink: In the future, maybe, but that'd just put unnecessary pressure on him at a vital stage in his career.

I also find it very strange that you've totally omitted Hume, who I would say is probably the only other decent candidate to captain our team.

Archived