Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BartonFox

Paddy McCarthy

I didn't think i'd ever see a worse defensive performance than McCarthy's against Sunderland, but just a few weeks on and he goes and does it again, but this time he's even worse.

Goodbye Patrick.

Ummmmm! You have to doubt it. McCarthy was one who stuck his head up and called for Kelly to get the job. Kelly likes him enough to have made him captain - and don't get me wrong I thought he'd make a good captain.

But whether RK will admit is hasn't wroked and act is another matter. I also wonder whether it is any coincidence his form has deteriorated since he smashed his nose up.

I'm going to be controversial and say that I think the weak link is Kisnorbo. Here is my basis:

All the complaints of McCarthy are lack of awareness and positioning. These are things that come from lack of experience and as such should make him the second defender in any central defensive partnership. As such, the onus is on Kisnorbo (the more experienced player) to be the main man and be more vocal, talking to him and advising him.

We all know the benefit of playing alongside somebody more experienced in Sunday League or kickabouts on the park. The old, "here lad, take a step or two to the left", "just drop back a foot". Those kind of things that make it much easier to play against other players.

Kisnorbo doesn't seem to do this and has to realise the onus is on him. Fulham's first goal was Kisnorbo's fault. He shouldn't have gone to the near post if McCarthy was there. If he had stayed where he was, the ball would of gone over McCarthy's head and either to Kisnorbo or if not, allowed Kisnorbo to get a tackle in.

Both players in my mind are good players, but Kisnorbo needs to step up as the better and more experienced player. He is not doing this.

McCarthy is too young to be captain, but that's a reflection on the situation we found ourselves in during the summer. He shouldn't be stripped of the captaincy as that would be detrimental to his development and I think he could be a very good defender for us. Let's be honest, when Gerry Taggart first came to the club he was rubbish but improved his game and became a stalwart. McCarthy is equally slow and plays a similar game, but needs the experience to become a good defender. Taggart was 30 when he played the best years of his career with us. McCarthy is young and needs a guiding player to bring his game on.

with our current players he would be better suited to a 3 man centre half set up

mccarthy mcauley and kisnorbo

this would work and each player would have more support

NO no no no no

You'd still have McCarthy in the team he's a weak link! What do you say to the weakest link?

Goodbye

I'm going to be controversial and say that I think the weak link is Kisnorbo. Here is my basis:

All the complaints of McCarthy are lack of awareness and positioning. These are things that come from lack of experience and as such should make him the second defender in any central defensive partnership. As such, the onus is on Kisnorbo (the more experienced player) to be the main man and be more vocal, talking to him and advising him.

We all know the benefit of playing alongside somebody more experienced in Sunday League or kickabouts on the park. The old, "here lad, take a step or two to the left", "just drop back a foot". Those kind of things that make it much easier to play against other players.

Kisnorbo doesn't seem to do this and has to realise the onus is on him. Fulham's first goal was Kisnorbo's fault. He shouldn't have gone to the near post if McCarthy was there. If he had stayed where he was, the ball would of gone over McCarthy's head and either to Kisnorbo or if not, allowed Kisnorbo to get a tackle in.

Both players in my mind are good players, but Kisnorbo needs to step up as the better and more experienced player. He is not doing this.

McCarthy is too young to be captain, but that's a reflection on the situation we found ourselves in during the summer. He shouldn't be stripped of the captaincy as that would be detrimental to his development and I think he could be a very good defender for us. Let's be honest, when Gerry Taggart first came to the club he was rubbish but improved his game and became a stalwart. McCarthy is equally slow and plays a similar game, but needs the experience to become a good defender. Taggart was 30 when he played the best years of his career with us. McCarthy is young and needs a guiding player to bring his game on.

You might have a point in what you say, but perhaps Kisnorbo needs some guidance and experience alongside him. I believe Kisnorbo to be the better player, so if it's experience we need in defence alongside either McCarthy or Kisnorbo then i'd choose Kisnorbo to be the one to play alongside an 'experienced' defender. The goals Kisnorbo gives us along with his crucial tackles and clearances make him worth more to the team than McCarthy.

You might have a point in what you say, but perhaps Kisnorbo needs some guidance and experience alongside him. I believe Kisnorbo to be the better player, so if it's experience we need in defence alongside either McCarthy or Kisnorbo then i'd choose Kisnorbo to be the one to play alongside an 'experienced' defender. The goals Kisnorbo gives us along with his crucial tackles and clearances make him worth more to the team than McCarthy.

I think that's fair. Kisnorbo is the better player currently. I still feel that in time, McCarthy will be a better defender than Kisnorbo (that's me going out on a limb), but I guess at the moment it should be Kisnorbo over McCarthy.

I find it amusing that despite bringing in stupid amounts of centrebacks in the summer, I now find myself thinking, put McAuley back in the middle as senior defender and if he can't hack it, bring a new defender in.

I think RK has a difficult decision to make. Paddy Mac was named captain but he hasnt kicked on and it cant be good for his team mates to see the skipper, who is meant to be the leader, make so many errors. If he wasnt picked as captain I reckon kelly would have dropped him already.

Kisnorbo is something completely different. He has played most of his career in midfield (lol remember how we reacted to him when he started looking shoddy there??) so he hasnt had the experience of playing at the centre of defence with a settled partner. God knows how many partners he has had in the centre of defence and I think if there was a settled partnership there we will see the best of him. For me, he is doing well anyway and his goals are priceless too.

BTW I agree Stearman at RB, McAuley across into the middle with Kisnorbo but Im unsure at leftback, maybe Tiatto ahead of the rest.

I think that's fair. Kisnorbo is the better player currently. I still feel that in time, McCarthy will be a better defender than Kisnorbo (that's me going out on a limb), but I guess at the moment it should be Kisnorbo over McCarthy.

I find it amusing that despite bringing in stupid amounts of centrebacks in the summer, I now find myself thinking, put McAuley back in the middle as senior defender and if he can't hack it, bring a new defender in.

No chance!

McCarthy is at the stage in his career where he has to show that he can improve as a player he's got the rest of this season and next to do it otherwise it's back to Boston or Notts County.

I think the captaincy was given to him far too early and this added pressure has taken a little bit out of his game.

McAuley and Kisnorbo should start every game with McCarthy used as an above average back-up.

No chance!

McCarthy is at the stage in his career where he has to show that he can improve as a player he's got the rest of this season and next to do it otherwise it's back to Boston or Notts County.

I think the captaincy was given to him far too early and this added pressure has taken a little bit out of his game.

McAuley and Kisnorbo should start every game with McCarthy used as an above average back-up.

I think that's a little over dramatic.

McCarthy is highly rated by a number of ex-pros I have spoken to. He is seen very much as a rough diamond, who if brought on properly, could be an excellent defender in the Taggarth mold. The central issue, is, as you also say, development. Can we develop him properly?

I agree entirely.

Erm, I mean... McCarthy out! Have him shot! How dare he be inexperienced! How dare he try to head a ball and be put off by Kisnorbo shoving him in the back! Disgusting.

I think that's a little over dramatic.

McCarthy is highly rated by a number of ex-pros I have spoken to. He is seen very much as a rough diamond, who if brought on properly, could be an excellent defender in the Taggarth mold. The central issue, is, as you also say, development. Can we develop him properly?

It isn't really. If you think about it, if he doesn't improve as a player I see no reason why we should renew his contract and wouldn't expect another team in this league to give him one.

I also believe that any development in him should come from within and although the club should have some influence, he's not what you'd call wet behind the ears, the club have given him the stage to learn his craft it's up to him now.

My main issue with McCarthy is that he doesn't seem to learn by his mistakes and that is fatal for a centre back.

I agree entirely.

Erm, I mean... McCarthy out! Have him shot! How dare he be inexperienced! How dare he try to head a ball and be put off by Kisnorbo shoving him in the back! Disgusting.

Has someone hacked your account or have you been on the piss all week? Some of your posts recently have been hilarious. :D

McCarthy is here for as long as Kelly is, the pair of em might aswell live together.

It annoys me because he wouldn't be that bad if it weren't for the silly fouls, the hot-headedness (is that even a word) and the bad decision making.

But, if you dont change, sorry Paddy, you are the weakest link......... goodbye.

I agree entirely.

They're both as bad as each other at times.

At least Kisnorbo finds the net now and again.

With Kisnorbo it's the exception.

With McCarthy it's the rule.

I don't think Kisnorbo is as good as people make out, he's been found out a few times this season as has McCarthy.

we're 18th (I think) in the Championship, that shows we don't have two "potential Premier League" centre halfs as has been claimed numerous times in the past.

It isn't really. If you think about it, if he doesn't improve as a player I see no reason why we should renew his contract and wouldn't expect another team in this league to give him one.

I also believe that any development in him should come from within and although the club should have some influence, he's not what you'd call wet behind the ears, the club have given him the stage to learn his craft it's up to him now.

My main issue with McCarthy is that he doesn't seem to learn by his mistakes and that is fatal for a centre back.

If you think McCarthy's next career move is down a league, you are crazy. I can say comfortably that he will not drop down a division should he leave us in the near future (bar any unforeseen injuries).

I sincerely hope we don't get rid of him anytime soon.

If you think McCarthy's next career move is down a league, you are crazy. I can say comfortably that he will not drop down a division should he leave us in the near future (bar any unforeseen injuries).

He might get another gig in this division. I've seen worse.

He's just not good enough for us, especially with MM and his chequebook marching over the horizon (with propaganda machine in tow).

I hope he doesn't leave, but for him to expect an improved contract this summer he has to progress and show the manager, the fans and more importantly Milan that he can learn from his mistakes.

He's a more then capable back up but IMO start in front of McAuley, no!

He might get another gig in this division. I've seen worse.

He's just not good enough for us, especially with MM and his chequebook marching over the horizon (with propaganda machine in tow).

I think if we can get a good defender in (an older head who isn't here in the hope of a management position or because he's got a big shlong - Keown and Dublin) then I think both Kisnorbo and McCarthy will come on in leaps and bounds, particularly Paddy Mac.

I see the scapegoating season is in full swing and the usual suspects have had their say. :yawn::yawn::yawn:

But any of the criticisms aimed at McCarthy could just have easily applied to a certain Steve Walsh during any of his first FIVE YEARS at our club.

It took a decent manager in Brian Little to make him a legend. I see no reason why the same shouldn't happen to Macca in due course.

I see the scapegoating season is in full swing and the usual suspects have had their say. :yawn::yawn::yawn:

But any of the criticisms aimed at McCarthy could just have easily applied to a certain Steve Walsh during any of his first FIVE YEARS at our club.

It took a decent manager in Brian Little to make him a legend. I see no reason why the same shouldn't happen to Macca in due course.

I think you either need a decent pair of spectacles or you haven't seen him play much ?

I think you either need a decent pair of spectacles or you haven't seen him play much ?

To be fair, there are very few on here who watched Stevie Walsh play in his first few years at the club.

I only started watching football the first season Brian Little came in to the club. That was when I was first taken so I've only seen Walshy when he was great.

:yawn:

He seems to be another young player who hasnt really kicked on this season. Add Fryatt and Stearman to make the happy trio!! Paddy Mac gets grief because mistakes in defence are usually punished and highlighted. Fryatt hasnt scored many and has copped a load from us at times although hopefully he looks like he is firing again and Stearman hasnt featured that often. Maybe we are putting too much pressure on the youngsters???

Archived