Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BartonFox

Lets clear up a few myths hear and now

I agree with you on a few things above like Hughes is more effective in the middle, RK trying to be more hard to beat and Stearman playing back at right-back but the timing of your team selection is all wrong IMO. That type of formation and team should only be risked if we are safe from the drop and the pressure is off. That team you picked seems extremley light weight and I cant see where the goals would come from! They are too young in more importantly have little first team action

19, 25, 27, 20

18, 24, 33

26, 23, 19

Having said all that, I do agree that RK has got to do something in the transfer window on loan at least but the "five figure sum" that we lost when the Sky game was cancelled may have blown out any chance he had on bring someone in. Its gonna be blood and guts time for our squad and the under-performers need to raise there game and start paying the fans back.

I don't think the pressure is ever off one way or another. And, apart from Weso who shouldn't be there, I don't think it's our youngsters who are the problem. Logan, Porter, Fryatt (now he's fit again), have been fine. Only Stearman/Maybury is in the balance - but because both are decent players at their best.

I don't pick youngsters in desperation - I pick them because they are the best at the job. King, for instance, is totally different class to anyone else we've got as an attacking midfielder. Dodds can and does score goals and right now we're not doing that at centre-forward.

I'd pick the best footballers. Blood and guts is no good on its own if the players can't pass. My team has enough battlers in Kisnorbo, Nils, Tiatto, Hammond and Hume.

King, Stearman, Porter and Hughes might not be the fiercest tacklers but all have great engines, work hard and can mostly retain possession too.

As for goals, we've got all our leading scorers in that team plus King, who's a real threat, and two attacking full-backs.

Fryatt and Dodds would be on the bench so overall, I think the balance is as good as we can get. There's a case for Fryatt or Dodds instead of Hammond but it's not a convincing one because, goals apart, we lose what bit of pace we might have.

I don't pick youngsters in desperation - I pick them because they are the best at the job. King, for instance, is totally different class to anyone else we've got as an attacking midfielder. Dodds can and does score goals and right now we're not doing that at centre-forward.

I'd pick the best footballers. Blood and guts is no good on its own if the players can't pass. My team has enough battlers in Kisnorbo, Nils, Tiatto, Hammond and Hume.

King, Stearman, Porter and Hughes might not be the fiercest tacklers but all have great engines, work hard and can mostly retain possession too.

As for goals, we've got all our leading scorers in that team plus King, who's a real threat, and two attacking full-backs.

I dont know how you can describe people that havent kicked a ball in our first team as being "the best at their job" or "the best footballers". Its hilarious mate!

The truth is that we need to now adopt a dogs of war mentality and get a bit of backbone. We dont need to play pretty passing triangles and entertain the fans at this stage of procedings, we just need results. There are far too many better footballing sides than us in this division and if we try to play too much football with wingers (as seems to be the call these days) we will end up getting over-powered in midfield. We cant afford to be too lightweight in wide positions because our full-backs arent upto the standards required to cope.

Anyway, we can all play the role of manager but its down to RK to start earning his salary and get us out of this mess as soon as possible.

Isn't playing people out of position part of what led to CL's downfall.

If I was manager RB is either Stearman or Mayberry - both of whom are good enough for this level

In the middle 2 of - Kisnorbo, Mcauley, MCCarthy

LB, Nils seems to be the most sensible solution (though I'd try and get someone on loan and i have no idea if Matlock is any good)

So for me

Stearman, Kisnorbo, Mcauley, Nils

For me, it is very simple.

We have players performing nowhere near to their best. When they perform, they are half decent as performances against Villa and Fulham proved. To have one good day against premiership opposition could be considered lucky. To have 3 (including the replay) shows we have some talent in our squad.

If the manager is unable to get the best out of the players, the manager must be the one to go.

Of course, while we are in this state of paralysis and uncertainty, nothing will happen so same old, same old.

I dont know how you can describe people that havent kicked a ball in our first team as being "the best at their job" or "the best footballers". Its hilarious mate!

The truth is that we need to now adopt a dogs of war mentality and get a bit of backbone. We dont need to play pretty passing triangles and entertain the fans at this stage of procedings, we just need results. There are far too many better footballing sides than us in this division and if we try to play too much football with wingers (as seems to be the call these days) we will end up getting over-powered in midfield. We cant afford to be too lightweight in wide positions because our full-backs arent upto the standards required to cope.

Anyway, we can all play the role of manager but its down to RK to start earning his salary and get us out of this mess as soon as possible.

We've been there and done it and the results are plain to see. Wingers? I've been shouting for ages that we haven't got a right winger so should play 4-3-3.

I don't give a shit whether King has played first team or not. He's the best box to box midfielder and the best goal threat for two dead simple reasons. First he's half decent anyway and second we haven't got any others.

And King at 6-foot or thereabouts, is as big and strong as any of our midfielders and, indeed, the only one who's ever likely to score with a header. He's also fit, which would be a start for some of our players.

If "anyone" can all play the roll of manager then I wish the bloke who's got the job would start doing so with a bit more effect. But he did say he had to find out what was wrong. So at least now he's got something to chew on.

What do you want. Eleven Tiatto's?

I like the bloke. But not eleven of them. Tiatto covers and tackles, clips a good free-kick, helps/inspires people and makes himself available.

But he's not the most reliable or imaginative passer, is invariably wayward with his shooting, rarely grabs more than a couple of goals a season, hardly ever gets into the opposition penalty box and finds it hard to last 90 minutes either cos of injury, exhaustion or the chance of being sent off after a booking.

The great Liverpool team of the 60's had a brilliant hard case in Tommy Smith - and a few more besides. But they also had people who could take people on, score goals and play a bit as well. They didn't leave those guys out when it was a hard game or the pressure was on.

As at least one other might say it's about balance. And we don't have any sort of balance right now.

To be quite honest I think nows the time, We've had a struggling midfield all season and maybe it's time to at least give him ago, maybe not the Luton game as I think we should be winning that even with the current bunch and formation, but maybe against Ipswitch (unless it's re-arranged)? The MM deal wont be through in time so we have what we have.

We've been there and done it and the results are plain to see. Wingers? I've been shouting for ages that we haven't got a right winger so should play 4-3-3.

I don't give a shit whether King has played first team or not. He's the best box to box midfielder and the best goal threat for two dead simple reasons. First he's half decent anyway and second we haven't got any others.

And King at 6-foot or thereabouts, is as big and strong as any of our midfielders and, indeed, the only one who's ever likely to score with a header.

If "anyone" can all play the roll of manager then I wish the bloke who's got the job would start doing so with a bit more effect. But he did say he had to find out what was wrong. So at least now he's got something to chew on.

I like the bloke. But not eleven of them. Tiatto covers and tackles, clips a good free-kick, helps/inspires people and makes himself available.

But he's not the most reliable or imaginative passer, is invariably wayward with his shooting, rarely grabs more than a couple of goals a season, hardly ever gets into the opposition penalty box and finds it hard to last 90 minutes either cos of injury, exhaustion or the chance of being sent off after a booking.

The great Liverpool team of the 60's had a brilliant hard case in Tommy Smith - and a few more besides. But they also had people who could take people on, score goals and play a bit as well. They didn't leave those guys out when it was a hard game or the pressure was on.

As at least one other might say. It's about balance. And we don't have any sort of balance right now.

Forget about Liverpool in the 60s, we are talking about Leicester in 07.

Its not a case of wonderful football now, we are in too much trouble to be looking for a beautiful way to win games. WE NEED POINTS.

Im not a big Tiatto fan, infact Ive said that I would play him at his orginal Man City position of left back if I had the choice. I however am now thinking that we should adopt an approach of 442 with 4 central midfielders who switch around the middle of the park and cover wide positions. I wouldnt just play someone in a position "because he is the best that weve got". We need to become more compact and hard to break down because at the moment we are playing open football and are getting punished.

Our form shows that we have conceeded 12 goals in the last 5 games and we need to stop the rot quickly or we will soon be talking about relegation in the same breath as the likes of Barnsley.

Now is NOT the time to experiment with 433 and players that havent kicked a ball in anger at this level.

And King at 6-foot or thereabouts, is as big and strong as any of our midfielders and, indeed, the only one who's ever likely to score with a header.

As at least one other might say. It's about balance. And we don't have any sort of balance right now.

I agree with what you say and you always take a logical view which is great up to a point,however it matters not a jot if the players have all the ability in the world but they fail to show passion and commitment,that was lacking all of the first half on Saturday and cost us dearly,if it's AWOL again next Saturday against a Luton side lacking in form and quality but who are sure as hell going to battle because they need the points and because of who their manager is then we are gonna be in the brown stuff big time!

Forget about Liverpool in the 60s, we are talking about Leicester in 07.

Its not a case of wonderful football now, we are in too much trouble to be looking for a beautiful way to win games. WE NEED POINTS.

Im not a big Tiatto fan, infact Ive said that I would play him at his orginal Man City position of left back if I had the choice. I however am now thinking that we should adopt an approach of 442 with 4 central midfielders who switch around the middle of the park and cover wide positions. I wouldnt just play someone in a position "because he is the best that weve got". We need to become more compact and hard to break down because at the moment we are playing open football and are getting punished.

Our form shows that we have conceeded 12 goals in the last 5 games and we need to stop the rot quickly or we will soon be talking about relegation in the same breath as the likes of Barnsley.

Now is NOT the time to experiment with 433 and players that havent kicked a ball in anger at this level.

So you'd carry on playing a failing system with people out of position. Do you think our piosition is a fluke for some reason? Like last season.

We were tighter at the beginning of the year but even at our best conceded at the steady rate of just over a goal a game. That means we have to score twice, basically.

How the hell will we do that with so few likely scorers?

It was obvious this would be the situation as far back as last July. It isn't going to suddenly change unless someone makes it change.

Trying alternatives won't give guarantees but there's no sign of the Golden Goose arriving so I'd much sooner we try to right our problems than carry on wityh our heads in the mud, making the same predicatable mistakes.

So you'd carry on playing a failing system with people out of position. Do you think our piosition is a fluke for some reason? Like last season.

We were tighter at the beginning of the year but even at our best conceded at the steady rate of just over a goal a game. That means we have to score twice, basically.

How the hell will we do that with so few likely scorers?

It was obvious this would be the situation as far back as last July. It isn't going to suddenly change unless someone makes it change.

Trying alternatives won't give guarantees but there's no sign of the Golden Goose arriving so I'd much sooner we try to right our problems than carry on wityh our heads in the mud, making the same predicatable mistakes.

The problem at the moment isnt just the obvious confidence factor but the fact that we need to wake up and admit our players arent that good in the first place but they are better than they are currently showing us.

RK is making poor selection choices also as he chops and changes like there is no tomorrow and on top of that we sell a few players who were featuring in the first team. (yes they were pants but not one person has come in and RK didnt promote any of the youths for the game at Cardiff.

To clarify my point (again), Im not suggesting that Dodds, King or the rest of the youth team arent going to one day be good enough to put in the first team but I am merely saying that these twats who are taking a decent wage every week should buck up there ideas and start performing closer to there potential. Lets play McAuley and Kisnorbo at the back with Stearman at rightback. Lets get Nisse or Tiatto or even Maybury at leftback. That balance should give us more options going forward from the full back position. Lets get Hughes and Williams in the middle of the park but get another central mid in there to hold things togther like Johnson who has ability for this division but isnt earning his wage.

How many City fans think that our lads are playing to there full potential then? Its OK to wheel it out when we are on MOTD in cup matches but we need these muppets to stand up and be counted and get us out of this mess they have put us in instead of sling two or three more youth teamers in the team.

The problem at the moment isnt just the obvious confidence factor but the fact that we need to wake up and admit our players arent that good in the first place but they are better than they are currently showing us.

RK is making poor selection choices also as he chops and changes like there is no tomorrow and on top of that we sell a few players who were featuring in the first team. (yes they were pants but not one person has come in and RK didnt promote any of the youths for the game at Cardiff.

To clarify my point (again), Im not suggesting that Dodds, King or the rest of the youth team arent going to one day be good enough to put in the first team but I am merely saying that these twats who are taking a decent wage every week should buck up there ideas and start performing closer to there potential. Lets play McAuley and Kisnorbo at the back with Stearman at rightback. Lets get Nisse or Tiatto or even Maybury at leftback. That balance should give us more options going forward from the full back position. Lets get Hughes and Williams in the middle of the park but get another central mid in there to hold things togther like Johnson who has ability for this division but isnt earning his wage.

How many City fans think that our lads are playing to there full potential then? Its OK to wheel it out when we are on MOTD in cup matches but we need these muppets to stand up and be counted and get us out of this mess they have put us in instead of sling two or three more youth teamers in the team.

You claim poor selections and then pick a team without any width to speak of at all and absloutley no versatility. Nisse Tiatto or Maybury are not attacking full backs, we don't have attacking full backs apart from Sheehan and he isn't gooed enough, Stearman cannot do a job on the right flank all by himself he isn't good enough going forward to be a wingback.

Johnson should not be back in our team ever, it's clear the mans legs have gone, and have probabley be gone for awhile. That why the baggies shipped him out.

And Dodds in no youth team player he's a couple of months younger than Fryatt, if he doesn't play for us soon he never will.

You claim poor selections and then pick a team without any width to speak of at all and absloutley no versatility. Nisse Tiatto or Maybury are not attacking full backs, we don't have attacking full backs apart from Sheehan and he isn't gooed enough, Stearman cannot do a job on the right flank all by himself he isn't good enough going forward to be a wingback.

Johnson should not be back in our team ever, it's clear the mans legs have gone, and have probabley be gone for awhile. That why the baggies shipped him out.

And Dodds in no youth team player he's a couple of months younger than Fryatt, if he doesn't play for us soon he never will.

Quite a few clubs seem to load up the midfield and have players who can move around the pitch and be versatile as the game goes. Chelsea have played 4 centre mids for a while now but that doesnt mean that the likes of Lampard doesnt go wide to get crosses in (apologies for comparing us to the champions). Hughes should be able to drift right (he is our right winger already isnt he??!!) but with the likes of Johnson and Weso maybe holding a bit we may see the best of Hughes who can pass the ball and can create and has a shot on him which we hardly see. The same with Williams. He has gone from a highly sought after player with 5 caps for Scotland to a player that doesnt do that much.

Im no expert on team selections and dont suggest I know anymore than the next man but I would like our players to play in there natural positions first (McAuley CB, Hughes CM, Stearman RB, Johnson, defensive midfielder) before we start banging on about bringing in kids that have potential.

our current problems come from the very top of the club down.

kelly and a below par team are just a symptom of how shoddy this club has become over the past few years.

as for kelly , brian little was able to make three promotion pushes with mostly second rate players after taking over from a dire situation the year before he started and with hardly any cash.

kelly has been in the job about a year now and clearly is not up to the task of promotion , just bare survival.

regardless of the manager we haven't got a team thats worth pushing for promotion. I think Kelly has done ok (not great, but not bad) with the team we currently have.

Rob kelly- well he is a good coach and wont be a manager, hoped he would do well as he seems to have a good relationship with the players but i think he is prob to nice with them all and not harsh or truthful enuff.

Ian hume_ cant see why he has become so bad

mcarthy- used to really like him but now he is just utter crap

williams_ hmmm well i think he is ok, we dont really have many other choices

porter_ i like him think he does well, nice and quick! just think he has been pushed to much and has tired he is only young.

henderson_ dont like him kicking is pap why the hell have we given him a new contract?

Mcauley_awesome however should be played in the centre with kiso

weso_ hmmmmm dunno what to make of him

elvis_always tries to be fair to him

cadamatari_ cant comment as he never has long enough to make any impact

Rob kelly- well he is a good coach and wont be a manager, hoped he would do well as he seems to have a good relationship with the players but i think he is prob to nice with them all and not harsh or truthful enuff.Total Bollox they have no respect for him,verging on contempt!

Ian hume_ cant see why he has become so bad

mcarthy- used to really like him but now he is just utter crap

williams_ hmmm well i think he is ok, we dont really have many other choices

porter_ i like him think he does well, nice and quick! just think he has been pushed to much and has tired he is only young.

henderson_ dont like him kicking is pap why the hell have we given him a new contract?

Mcauley_awesome however should be played in the centre with kiso

weso_ hmmmmm dunno what to make of him

elvis_always tries to be fair to him

cadamatari_ cant comment as he never has long enough to make any impact

This is not a myth:

Rob Kelly will not be our manager at the start of next season :cool:

.........................and half the squad will be elsewhere or in our non existant reserves

Takeover will be 6th Feb and Kelly will stay till end of season! ...remember where you heard it first! :cool:

Archived