Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ikon_Klow

Dowie off to Coventry

What else has he done then?

Apart from shit on his former employer in the summer, that is?

Well I tell you what, head over to a Oldham Athletic forum and say what you've just said about him only succeeding at Palace and you will have your head ripped off.

He had them in the play offs during a period were they didn't even have enough money to run the team bus up and down the Country never mind get any decent players in, believe it or not Palace did appoint him for a reason.

What happened at Charlton was a little unfair on him IMO.

Didn't particularly want him here but it wouldn't surprise me to see him do a decent job, as long as he gets longer than 12 games.

Ask for shitting on former employers, give me a chance to shit on Simon Jordan and I'm afraid I'd have to take it. He did also get Palace back into the play offs that year, not as easy as it sounds as Peter Taylor is now proving.

Well I tell you what, head over to a Oldham Athletic forum and say what you've just said about him only succeeding at Palace and you will have your head ripped off.

He had them in the play offs during a period were they didn't even have enough money to run the team bus up and down the Country never mind get any decent players in, believe it or not Palace did appoint him for a reason.

What happened at Charlton was a little unfair on him IMO.

Didn't particularly want him here but it wouldn't surprise me to see him do a decent job, as long as he gets longer than 12 games.

Ask for shitting on former employers, give me a chance to shit on Simon Jordan and I'm afraid I'd have to take it. He did also get Palace back into the play offs that year, not as easy as it sounds as Peter Taylor is now proving.

Fair enough on the Oldham front. Looking at the numbers and the vague reference to 'financial difficulties' doesn't quite spell out the trouble they were so obviously in during his time there. It's quite impressive to win 38% of your games under such difficult circumstances.

One could argue 'it was only the Second Division' or that RK has won 34% of his games at a higher level with no serious spending power either, but that's probably taking too much away from his record to be fair.

Still, I reckon without that spectacular run a few seasons ago, he may or may not have been in a position to be offered a job in the top division with an established side. I still believe luck played quite a part in that particular chapter in Palace's history. He turned them round just in time, and got promoted through the play-offs.

You have to wonder how much he owes his 'success' at Palace to others, to be honest. I mean, in their Premiership season... their second top scorer after Johnson only had about 4 goals to his name. Without Johnson they could have easily been buried quite a bit earlier in the season (certainly not on the last day of the season).

I was shocked that Dowie got sacked so early in the season, too. To be fair I think he should have been given longer to show what he's capable of (perhaps my opinion of him would have changed if he'd been given longer)?

It's all ifs, buts and maybes... I still don't rate him as highly as some. If he'd have kept Palace up... or been given longer at Charlton, perhaps it'd be different, but it's not.

As for Simon Jordan... you're probably right... he's not my most favourite club chairman. ;)

PS: Thanks for correcting/enlightening me on Dowie's career. I don't possess the vast knowledge of the game that you do (as you very well know) as I don't pay much attention to anything but City... but I'm not averse to being informed about certain aspects. ;)

Fair enough on the Oldham front. Looking at the numbers and the vague reference to 'financial difficulties' doesn't quite spell out the trouble they were so obviously in during his time there. It's quite impressive to win 38% of your games under such difficult circumstances.

One could argue 'it was only the Second Division' or that RK has won 34% of his games at a higher level with no serious spending power either, but that's probably taking too much away from his record to be fair.

Still, I reckon without that spectacular run a few seasons ago, he may or may not have been in a position to be offered a job in the top division with an established side. I still believe luck played quite a part in that particular chapter in Palace's history. He turned them round just in time, and got promoted through the play-offs.

You have to wonder how much he owes his 'success' at Palace to others, to be honest. I mean, in their Premiership season... their second top scorer after Johnson only had about 4 goals to his name. Without Johnson they could have easily been buried quite a bit earlier in the season (certainly not on the last day of the season).

I was shocked that Dowie got sacked so early in the season, too. To be fair I think he should have been given longer to show what he's capable of (perhaps my opinion of him would have changed if he'd been given longer)?

It's all ifs, buts and maybes... I still don't rate him as highly as some. If he'd have kept Palace up... or been given longer at Charlton, perhaps it'd be different, but it's not.

As for Simon Jordan... you're probably right... he's not my most favourite club chairman. ;)

PS: Thanks for correcting/enlightening me on Dowie's career. I don't possess the vast knowledge of the game that you do (as you very well know) as I don't pay much attention to anything but City... but I'm not averse to being informed about certain aspects. ;)

S'alright sir, sorry for going off on one. :thumbup:

lol

Dowie starts with a win against a decent Soton side. The ugly barsteward!

It always seems promising when a new manager first takes over. Give it 4 or 5 games for the honeymoon period to end. Then we'll see the real Coventry again. And the real Dowie. Going back down the league.

Archived