Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Geo V

Does anyone remember Zeljko Kalac?

I`d forgotten all about Zeljko Kalac, infact I thought the bloke must have retired by now! I can remember watching this giant keeper that came with a huge reputation to us about a decade ago by MON. He hardly played and if memory serves me he came off the bench during the play-off final in the last minute to save some peno`s and Super Stevie Claridge spoiled his chance of fame by scoring the winner lol!!

Kalac must be one of a few players who have actually left us to greater things in recent times. The likes of Savage, Lennon and Heskey were winners with us and have done OK since they left but none can be classed as world beaters. Infact, I cant think of one player who has left us in the last say 15 years to go on to do really well with maybe the exception of Gary McAllister?? Joachim and Kitson were meant to be superstars but flattered to decieve.

Who have I missed out then?!

I`d forgotten all about Zeljko Kalac, infact I thought the bloke must have retired by now! I can remember watching this giant keeper that came with a huge reputation to us about a decade ago by MON. He hardly played and if memory serves me he came off the bench during the play-off final in the last minute to save some peno`s and Super Stevie Claridge spoiled his chance of fame by scoring the winner lol!!

Kalac must be one of a few players who have actually left us to greater things in recent times. The likes of Savage, Lennon and Heskey were winners with us and have done OK since they left but none can be classed as world beaters. Infact, I cant think of one player who has left us in the last say 15 years to go on to do really well with maybe the exception of Gary McAllister?? Joachim and Kitson were meant to be superstars but flattered to decieve.

Who have I missed out then?!

You didn't watch the World Cup then?

lol he is.

And Dida is no.1 @ A.C Milan Kalacs no.2 and has been there ages.

He's just a proffesional no.2 Kepper these days is Kalac.

I was surprised to just check that Kalac has managed over 50 caps for the Aussies?! It also seems he was the first choice when at Perugia in Serie A before Milan got him as a back-up keeper.

Still, he kept a clean sheet against Celtic which is more than Dida did if memory serves me who let one slip through his gloves last time the two met in Scotland.

God, he gave us some nightmares - lost us a Cup replay against Bolton (I think) and I seem to remember he did the same in the next match (I'm thinking West Brom, for some reason).

He had all the attributes for a keeper - 6ft 8, nicknamed Spider, international experience. In fact, the only thing lacking was any ability to keep the ball out of the net!

At half his size, Kevin Poole was twice the keeper he was, and poor KP ended up as Bolton's fifth choice while Kalac plays for Milan and got a game in the World Cup Finals.

Ah, the wonders of the Internet - I was right (just about). Kalac's three appearances in his 18 months at Leicester were a debut at West Brom in the league, Bolton in the League Cup and 20 seconds in the play-off final. I recall we were playing very well under McGhee around the time he made his debut - maybe even top of the league - and those two matches in particular we played some great football. All in all, fairly eventful spell with us for the Spider - the match reports I have found show he made an impact in all of his games for us:

6th November 1995 West Brom Away - Central TV covered a superb 45 minutes of football from City. There were two new signings Kaamark looked the dogs bollocks, Kalac just looked bollocks and did his best to throw away the three goal lead City had built up. He didn't manage it, with City running out 3-2 winners. [source: foxfanxine.com]

Spiderman's nightmare on Filbert Street

Independent, The (London), Nov 9, 1995 by PHIL SHAW

Leicester City 2 Bolton Wanderers 3

A calamitous home debut for Zeljko Kalac, Leicester's 6ft 7in Australian goalkeeper, allowed Bolton, last season's beaten finalists in the Coca- Cola Cup, to clinch a fourth-round trip to Norwich they hardly deserved in last night's replay.

Leicester, second in the First Division, outplayed Bolton, of the Premiership relegation zone, for long periods. On the first two occasions that Kalac gifted the visitors the lead, Mark McGhee's side equalised promptly. When he erred again with 11 minutes remaining, Sasa Curcic took advantage, and this time there was no way back.

McGhee paid an Australian record of pounds 760,000 for the self-styled "Spider". The Leicester manager wrote in the programme: "At this stage we all accept that Zeljko is going to be a little erratic. He's not the finished article yet." His words were to be borne out with a vengeance.

Leicester's ascendancy, inspired by Garry Parker, was almost embarrassing. Keith Branagan saved desperately from Mark Robins and Scott Taylor. But after 37 minutes as a virtual spectator, Kalac let David Lee's corner through his hands and John McGinlay prodded home.

Frustrated when Brian Carey's volley shook the woodwork, and again as Branagan tipped over Robins' effort from the rebound, Leicester levelled four minutes after half-time. Taylor's clever pass found Robins, who drilled a low shot past Branagan.

Bolton regained the initiative shortly after the hour. After David Lowe's pass had struck the referee, Richard Sneekes tried his luck from 25 yards. To his team-mates' horror, Kalac dived over the ball.

Iwan Roberts maintained the tit-for-tat sequence four minutes later, heading in Taylor's centre. A marvellous run by Curcic ended with Bolton's Serbian signing striking a post, but Kalac's nightmare on Filbert Street had one last, sickening twist.

When the flight of a Thompson corner deceived him, Curcic read it perfectly, charging up to score with a venomous volley. McGhee, who accepted responsibility for blooding Kalac before he was ready, maintained that his contrite giant would still emulate Shaka Hislop as a top-class keeper. "We annihilated Bolton," he added, and it was easier to believe the latter claim.

Leicester City (4-4-2): Kalac; Kamark (Grayson, 52), Carey (Joachim, 84), Hill, Whitlow; Taylor, Parker, Rolling, Lowe; Robins, Roberts. Substitute not used: Poole (gk).

Bolton Wanderers (4-5-1): Branagan; McAmespie, Bergsson, Fairclough, Phillips; Lee, Curcic, Stubbs (Patterson 60), Sneekes, Thompson (Green ,87); McGinlay. Substitutes not used: Patterson, Paatelainen.

Referee: D Elleray (Harrow-on-the-Hill).

Copyright 1995 Newspaper Publishing PLC

I was surprised to just check that Kalac has managed over 50 caps for the Aussies?! It also seems he was the first choice when at Perugia in Serie A before Milan got him as a back-up keeper.

When your World Cup qualifying group consists of opposing nations where the squad is the entire male population of the country, both able-bodied & not, you can afford to put the Antipodean version of Coco the Clown between the sticks safe in the knowledge he isn't gonna have that much to do which he can fcuk up

When your World Cup qualifying group consists of opposing nations where the squad is the entire male population of the country, both able-bodied & not, you can afford to put the Antipodean version of Coco the Clown between the sticks safe in the knowledge he isn't gonna have that much to do which he can fcuk up

Plus he's been at the international level as understudy to Bosnich and then Schwarzer for about 15 years. The Aussies seem to play loads of games in their qualifiers, so 50 caps in that time is perhaps not such an achievement as it seems.

True but the Aussies have had some decenet keepers from as far back as Bosnich. I think we should get a chant going "If Kalac can play for Aus, so can I" repeat three times and fade :D

Leicester 0-0 Arsenal

(Leic win 6-5 on penalties)

Leicester sent Arsenal crashing out of the FA Cup at Filbert Street, thanks to two fine saves from Pegguy Arphexad.

The substitute goalkeeper blocked penalties from Lee Dixon and Gilles Grimandi to book the home side a fifth round clash against Chelsea, after the shoot out had gone into sudden-death.

Match facts

56 mins: Suker misses from six yards

64th min: Flowers touches over a Keown strike

75th min: Suker misses an open-goal

In a match of vastly differing halves, Leicester manager Martin O'Neill will thank both his goalkeepers for securing another fantastic result.

A number of magnificent saves from Flowers undoubtedly kept the Midlanders in the game and Arphexad proved an able deputy when he took the field at full-time.

There were few realistic chances in the opening half, though Leicester went closest through Darren Eadie and Emile Heskey.

The Leicester bench celebrates the win

O'Neill's side took early command in the middle of the park and a through ball from Theo Zagorakis found Eadie whose low cross-shot was only just wide of the far post.

Little was seen of Arsenal as an attacking threat in the first 20 minutes, though it was Leicester keeper Flowers who was called upon to make the first save.

Patrick Vieira broke forward from the centre of the park and Flowers, recovered sufficiently from a knee injury to play, went down to hold onto his low 20-yard drive.

It marked the most exciting moment of the half.

Leicester, despite a reasonable attempt from Emile Heskey, were unable to break down the Gunners' backline.

On the half-hour, Arsenal were awarded a free-kick in a promising position, but Emmanuel Petit's effort flew high over the bar - and summed up a below-par first 45 minutes by the visitors.

Brighter start

The Gunners looked brighter after the break, holding the ball up more confidently in midfield.

Nevertheless, the first chance again came to Leicester when Heskey headed wide, after a fine cross from Guppy.

The Foxes now meet Chelsea in the fifth round

Malz was then yellow-carded for deliberately tripping up Oakes, before Flowers produced a brilliant save after Parlour hit a fine volley from the edge of the box.

Guppy was replaced with Graham Fenton after 70 minutes, only for the substitute to hammer a cross high over the bar when Heskey had found space in the middle.

With just over 10 minutes to go, Suker missed an open goal, from point-blank range, after Steven Hughes had put him in space on the back post.

A tap-in would have been sufficient. Instead, however, Suker blasted the ball over the crossbar to the horror of the travelling fans.

Flowers received a standing ovation when he was substituted at the turn-around.

And Arphexad made his presence felt immediately, snatching the ball from the feet of Vieira, after a poor first touch from the Frenchman.

With just two minutes of extra-time to go, Elliot denied Petit with a superb tackle on the edge of the area.

A fine Taggart effort from a late corner was cleared away by Dixon, before Arphexad stopped a low strike from Vieira on time.

The clash would have to be decided on penalties.

Arnar Gunnlaugsson took the first, sending Seaman the wrong way.

Suker retaliated and Savage put Leicester back in front, before Arphexad guessed right to save Dixon's shot away to his left.

Leicester could have wrapped up proceedings earlier, had Seaman not saved Stefan Oakes' shot.

But when Arphexad dived low to his right to save Grimandi's effort it sealed the win for Leicester and sent the home crowd wild.

Teams:

Leicester: Flowers, Taggart, Gilchrist, Elliott, Guppy, Gunnlaugsson, Savage, Oakes, Zagorakis, Heskey, Eadie. Subs: Campbell, Fenton, Arphexad, Goodwin, Jordan.

Arsenal: Seaman, Dixon, Keown, Silvinho, Grimandi, Vieira, Parlour, Petit, Malz, Suker, Henry. Subs: Winterburn, Manninger, Luzhny, Hughes, Barrett.

Referee: M Riley (Leeds)

Those were the days..

Pegguy 'one for the cameras' Arphexad was a legend, making even the easiest save in the world look stylish, remember when he used to tip shots with virtually no power over the crossbar in such a way that they looked like they had been smacked at 100mph by Roberto Carlos? Clarse!

Archived