Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Stadium to be strengthened?

From the Merc:

POP CONCERTS FOR WALKERS?
BY JENNY HARDCASTLE

CHIEF POLITICAL REPORTER

10:30 - 31 March 2007

Pop concerts could be heading to the Walkers Stadium if councillors agree a new plan.

Leicester City Football Club wants permission to hold between six and 12 big events a year.

If the council's planning committee gives it the go-ahead next week, the club will be able to improve the stadium so it can hold such events.

The venue is safe for 32,000 football fans, but is currently unfit to host major pop concerts, as dancing in the stands could cause it to crumble.

The club wants to hold concerts for up to 25,000 people, but needs to spend about £200,000 on improvements before the events can happen.

It also wants to host international football matches and rugby matches, as well as markets on the stadium car park.

However, people who live near the stadium say they have suffered from car-parking problems for years and more events will make it worse.

A club spokesman said: "We are working closely with the city council to ensure Leicester is able to hold major concerts at the Walkers Stadium to the benefit of everyone in the city and county."

Rivals Coventry and Derby have held events featuring acts such as the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams. No major concerts have been performed at the Walkers Stadium, although Status Quo were lined up to play in front of 14,000 fans last year before the gig was cancelled.

Industry sources say clubs can make tens of thousands of pounds' profit from staging a major concert.

However, Kenneth Armson, who lives in nearby Sheffield Street, is among the concerned residents.

He said: "Parking is an ongoing problem. I don't want to be a killjoy, but I'd have to say we've got enough problems around here without adding to them."

The club was originally granted planning permission on the condition that it provided a minimum of 500 park-and-ride spaces.

However, it has not been able to do this permanently and has also applied to remove this condition.

The proposals will go before a planning committee on Tuesday.

needs doing for def, couple of my leeds supporting mates said to me they were shocked how much the ground was shaking when they were jumping about

I'm sure that aspect is part of the design, movement is generally preferred to rigidity when it comes to construction, although 30K+ all bouncing up and down to the same base line is obviously not be a good idea.

Is there any point to this? I coulldn't care less really, if I was desperate to see live music at a football stadium I'm sure Pride Park will be hosting someone good :whistle:

it would be good for us as a club wouldnt it? surely bring more money in

does this mean they maybe filling in the stadium like the main stand? all of the other 3 stands look ugly.

No, they will just be strenthening the steelwork so a few extra RSJ linkages I would imagine.

Yes it would but surely all the bother is not worth it now MM has arrived?

It's only because MM has arrived that we got £200K to spend on it, I doubt he'd be putting money up for it if someone hasn't demonstrated that he can make a profit from it. Don't be fooled into thinking MM is going to be throwing money at lost causes, well not in the longer term anyway.

Yes it would but surely all the bother is not worth it now MM has arrived?

But its another money making plan isn't it?! Milan hasn't bought the club just because he has the money too. He has bought club to make money, strengthening the stadium making it into a music venue equals more money in MM back pocket in the long term.

I still can't understand all the locals moaning about parking. Surely it will be just the same when we filled the stadium in some of the games when we were last in the premiership?

Well part of the application they have submitted is for removal of part of the parking requirement, which the city never bothered to carry out, which has really really annoyed the locals.

Yeah exactly. It can only be good for the club surely?

That's unless the stadium crumbles of course... :rolleyes::P

Naa, they'll employ the stewards to stop people standing or getting rowdy. I can just see them at a concert trying to shut everyone up. lol

From the Merc:

BY JENNY HARDCASTLE

CHIEF POLITICAL REPORTER

10:30 - 31 March 2007

Pop concerts could be heading to the Walkers Stadium if councillors agree a new plan.

I got no further than here before I gave up reading. This is fooking excellent news. If the Walkers holds pop concerts, surely everyone who attends will be standing, singing and jumping around. Now, how the fock are Health and Safety going to allow this to happen, considering this is all we wish to do at the football and they don't allow it to happen at football matches?? They can't surely?? If they do, there'll be outrage. fooking perfect stuff.

Archived