Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stinkenzo

Shaun Newton - Give him a chance?

Shaun Newton  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Give him a chance?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
    • Back-up

I could indeed a fox, but the thread is about SN, and although others were very good in that 45 Newton was simply outstanding, his performance was as good as I`ve seen from a City player for many a long day !

His lack of pace worries me but he does do some decent things with the ball at his feet and I felt he used Stearman well at times last Saturday. When he's got a younger lad playing behind him, like Stearman, I think he can get away with not having much left in his legs. Still unsure whether I'd keep him for next season though, especially as a permanent signing.

Yep.

RM is a dodgy position to fill and I`d give him ago next season unless we somehow manage to get the £20m need to buy Quresma or the £100 for Ronaldo!! Joking aside, I havent seen Gradel play but I hear he is a winger who scored almost 20 goals for the academy. I`d like to see him get a bit of a chance pre-season before we sign Newton if they play in the same possie.

Just like to say that while Gradel's record this season has been good, I'm pretty sure that he's 19 getting on for 20 years old now and as has been mentioned before, many under 18s sides have fielded a lot of 16 year olds in their teams. You can only score against the opposition put in front of you, true, but Gradel was scoring at reserve team level regularly last season so really has taken a slight step back in his development imo. That doesn't mean I don't think he should be given a go, just that I don't think his tally this season is a great indicator as to how much he's improved or not.

wot i have seen of him hes been average and if we want to challenge for a top 6 finish we will need better.
We need to aim higher!

Agreed. Think he looked better than he is through playing in our side. Don't think he is the solution for next season if we want to be pushing on up the table.

Yes. He's been very consistent was our best player against Barnsley. Tracks back well, always fights for the cause. IMO the solution to our right wing problem.

got everyone off their seats when we played birmingham, so why not, he deserves his chance, he is experienced bloke, andcertainly lot better the JLow and MSylla!

yeah, quality! dodged about 3 slide tackles with his pace at one point! loved it.

Yes. He's been very consistent was our best player against Barnsley. Tracks back well, always fights for the cause. IMO the solution to our right wing problem.

I'd say consistency is one of his major flaws, he drifts in and out of the game, at Barnsley he disappeared 2 or 3 times, probably resting his legs to the extent I forgot he was playing. True when he gets involved he can look good.

Newton would be a decent addition to a poor squad... davidG was right we need to aim higher, but i thought that he improved us and if he could give 100% for 90 mins then i'd sign him

He can't but that's not to say he's not worth a squad place.

If he starts and Gradel shadows, Newton can give his all for as long as possible and Gradel will get the controlled introduction to first team football that makes sense, assuming he shows himself good enough.

The big thing about Newton is that he fits into a footballing team. He passes the ball quickly and accurately, links well with others and can move around comfortably. The big thing, I imagine, will be keeping him fully motivated at Championship level.

But at his age there's not much of his playing career left so I hope he'll want to make the best of it.

That's not to say we shouldn't look out for better, but I'm much happier at the thought of Newton/Gradel than I ever wa with Low/Sylla/Yeates.

Milan has contacts, I'm sure we could get in 2 players who'd do the job proud on the right flank.

ive gone for newton as backup & the number of people who want to give him a first team chance shows low ambition for me :dunno:

Exactly. I reckon we could get someone so much better. There must be loads of decent Champonship players who'd be willng to join us let alone some Premiership drop outs. We could go abroad too so there's loads of options, don't just stick to Newton. He's alright I suppose but we could do much better with what we now have on the table.

ive gone for newton as backup & the number of people who want to give him a first team chance shows low ambition for me :dunno:

You've got to be realistic haven't you?

Newton's not a bad player and he's shown he can be capable of doing a good job for us. There's not many 'quality' wingers going to want to join us is there really? :rolleyes:

You've got to be realistic haven't you?

Newton's not a bad player and he's shown he can be capable of doing a good job for us. There's not many 'quality' wingers going to want to join us is there really? :rolleyes:

You think with the wages MM is likely to be paying there isn't a better winger available in the whole of Europe?

A bit silly,

Who else is out there?

well matt jarvis who was mentioned earlier somewhere for a start theres plenty of right sided players about maybe ray parlour not sure off the top of my head! :dunno: i do rate newton but he aint exactly one of the best in the championship is he ?

and next season we want a much higher standard of player coming in than this one don't we? :thumbup:

Archived