Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

A Thracian blast from the past

Everyone knows Levi Porter is mince and everyone knows even though they don't like to admit it, we've seen it before with Kelly, that he won't be around much longer.

To even have Alan Ball and Paul Scholes mentioned in a discussion with this clown is farcical.

That match was at the beginning of the season before this when Porter had been used as a winger on every occasion I watched him.

Academy players are regularly acclimatised into other positions for various reasons and Porter's switch was so successful that he stayed there and conducted the Reserves' midfield like a veteran.

Indeed, it was as a result of that form that he was drafted into the first team squad having, at one stage, been lined up for a loan spell at Hinckley as I was told.

Preperation for his life outside the Football League.

Everyone knows Levi Porter is mince

I don't.

He'll come good eventually. He's a young lad, give him a chance. It's really starting to piss me off when some people give up on a young player so early in their career. I came name plenty who were pretty poor at the start of their LCFC careers but came through in the end.....

Gary Lineker

Steve Walsh

To name but two.

Says the man who condemned Worthington after 90 minutes of football he never watched..................

Overall I gave Worthington more praise and credit than he probbly deserved. It is still dificult to judge how much our fans influenced our outcome and how much was down to Worthington. Certainly little impressed me about our last match - either the performance or his decisions and, overall, I'll be well pleased if he moves on.

Even if there were none - what's the problem with being the first? People like Scholes gain gain little from their height and if you're honestly saying someone like Ball or Billy Bremner wouldn't have managed in modern football you're dreaming.

At least I've taken the trouble to watch Porter in midfield whereas you admit to not even knowing the ground where they play.

Getting into an arguement about players of yesteryear is nonsensical. As men we are built differently these days for starters and British footballers are machines today and you only have to see football at close ranks in the Premiership to realise that these blokes are monsters. Whether Ball or Bremner would have made it is questionable although they were both exceptional talents for there day and I`ll leave that topic there.

As for your support of the club, thats great. I wish I had the time to get to the academy games, the reserve games and matchday and spent the rest of the day on here. Unfortunately, I havent the time that you have. However, my opinion on Porter is an educated one and just because you have seen him more than I have or taht you have been to more reserve and academy games than me it doesnt make you some kind of super fan. Whether you are a dude who has never been or a diehard that never misses a game, all opinions should be treated as equal as we are all fans.

Back to Porter, I dont care if you have seen him have a good game in the academy against fellow young men who are not fully formed physically, I am talking about making it big and havinga big influence against a bunch of 6ft machines in the English game. He hasnt got a hope in hell of making it as a central-midfielder. Paul Scholes is a good example of a modern day smaller player who has done well in central midfield. That lad is a little different to our Lev though. Despite PS not being able to tackle for toffee, he has amazing vision. He has also had the joy of spending 95% of his career based around a certain Roy Keane fetching the ball and giving him it and this season he has been bouyed by a 5 man midfield inter-changable midfield. He is a fantastic player but I have doubts at how effective he would be if Man Utd went 442 as there is no out and out ball winner in the United side as they havent replaced Keane although they are trying with Hargreaves. Levi is not and never will be at Scholes` level anyway so we`ll agree to disagree on this one but I`ll happily offer you a wager of £1000 that Levi will never be a Premiership class central midfielder. Wanna bet???

Levi is the least talented of our current crop of youngsters in the first team.

If people took off thier blue tinted glasses and actually watched him you would realise he is very one dimensional.

I remember on our bad run he went missing in nearly every single game got involved once in a blue moon and most of the time his cross landed behind the goal or in the stands.

Besides his little over performance at christmas time he's been relatively poor all season, but people persist on giving him good marks.

'Aww aint he a good lad, i'll give him an 8 even though he barely did anything today'

As for the center midfield arguement, if he got overrun at reserve level just imagine what the likes of Essien, Gerrard and Carrick will do to him, even Championship Center Mids will run right through him.

I'll cheer him on when he puts on the blue shirt but the simple fact is he isn't really good enough.

If people took off thier blue tinted glasses and actually watched him you would realise he is very one dimensional.

I remember on our bad run he went missing in nearly every single game got involved once in a blue moon and most of the time his cross landed behind the goal or in the stands.

Besides his little over performance at christmas time he's been relatively poor all season, but people persist on giving him good marks.

'Aww aint he a good lad, i'll give him an 8 even though he barely did anything today'

As for the center midfield arguement, if he got overrun at reserve level just imagine what the likes of Essien, Gerrard and Carrick will do to him, even Championship Center Mids will run right through him.

I'll cheer him on when he puts on the blue shirt but the simple fact is he isn't really good enough.

exactomundo :thumbup:

It was always obvious his mid-season performances were going to make him more tightly marked - as I predicted at the time - and it was equally obvious Kelly should have given him a more roving roll to compensate.

Porter's got lots of ability and looked the least one dimensional player at the club when I saw him in central midfield. I doubt anyone of his colleagues can match him either for close control and general technique.

Overall I gave Worthington more praise and credit than he probbly deserved. It is still dificult to judge how much our fans influenced our outcome and how much was down to Worthington. Certainly little impressed me about our last match - either the performance or his decisions and, overall, I'll be well pleased if he moves on.

Look at the poll, most people say they don't want him to stay but he came here and did what was required of him, he kept us in the division and that's that.

My point is that you categorically wanted him out after 90 minutes of football that you didn't see and then say that football is rarely about making such decisions.

Everyone knows Levi Porter is mince and everyone knows even though they don't like to admit it, we've seen it before with Kelly, that he won't be around much longer.

To even have Alan Ball and Paul Scholes mentioned in a discussion with this clown is farcical.

Amen to that.

Almost as ridiculous as the Elvis Hammond/Wayne Rooney comparison of a few months back.

Amen to that.

Almost as ridiculous as the Elvis Hammond/Wayne Rooney comparison of a few months back.

I still think Thracian's description of David Connolly after his hat-trick against Stoke takes some beating.

Look at the poll, most people say they don't want him to stay but he came here and did what was required of him, he kept us in the division and that's that.

My point is that you categorically wanted him out after 90 minutes of football that you didn't see and then say that football is rarely about making such decisions.

I said "rarely" clearly indicating that there are exceptions.

I saw no point in Worthington's appointment - Beaglehole and Taggart would have done just as well I imagine and quite possibly better - but, as you well know, I read every word on here about the Norwich match and my feelings immediately afterwards, reactionary and later tempered though they might have been, were perfectly justified.

Just as my initial thoughts on Kelly were despite my being persuaded to "give him a chance" .

There's no way Worthington was what we needed as two wins from five games, not a single home point, some pretty wretched football at times and some to-my-mind indefensible team selections indicated.

I still think Thracian's description of David Connolly after his hat-trick against Stoke takes some beating.

You mean this :dunno:

Was that not the best individual performance by a Leicester City striker for years.

King Connolly not only grabbed three goals but gave the Stoke defenders a non-stop nightmare with his constant demand for the ball, his constant probing, his constant ability to find space and his eagerness to strike at goal.

It was truly a 10 out of 10 display and what an example to his colleagues.

Once again there were further signs of a partnership developing between himself and MDV and it was good to see the big striker bag a beauty.

True he still looked clumsy at times but he worked himself to a standstill, played a part in so many promising Leicester moves and mostly held the ball up effectively against fairly uncompromising opposition.

There were other positives too, in particular the second half contribution of substitute Elvis Hammond who, again out of position, showed he could shoot on target, showed a fair bit of pace and trickery, showed he could pass and showed himself willing to chase back and do a useful job out of deefence.

Indeed I was far more impressed with him than Sylla who seems more of a pretty showboater than an effective footballer. His looked totally out of his element with the one shot I recall him having - a mishit volley from a very promising position. And, again he faded into ineptitude.

Again though (although three points was a welcome and in some ways impressive home start) the team once more conceded goals too easily (that's 6 in two games).

McCarthy seemed to have a better game being right inhis opponents pocket all night but Gilbert again looked woeful, Maybury had his hands full and Johansson looked too casual for his own good at times.

Tactically I found it difficult to understand why we passed on the ground so well in the first half then passed in the air during the second half as we completely and unnecessarily surrendered the initiative for a spell by (again) seeking to hang on to what we had.

On several occasions in that second half we stopped passing and moving with proper urgency and had Stoke not had a man sent off that might have proved costly.

Joey worked hard again but otherwise the midfield often misfired because it was too static. If only they could find Connolly's energy levels.

Finally we have serious problems in the air (both in defence and attack). We are just not aerially dominant enough which makes it hard to deal with crosses into our box and equally unlikely that our defenders will pose a serious threat when we have attacking free kicks and corners.

Our first goal came from a ground level free kick and that's what I would like to see more of when we put the ball into the penalty area.

Critical conclusion. We need a change at left back, I still prefer Stearman at right back (even in preference to Maybury) or at centre-back and our midfield four needs sorting because Wilcox and Momo are just not convincing.

Altogether though a night to remember and the best have ever seen Connolly play.

Yeah i'm really really bored and since were digging up Thrac classics i might as well have a go.

Spot on.

Furthermore his head isn't screwed on. RK dropped him after he turned up for training late and pissed after a night on the tiles with Elvis. Levi won't even reach Joachim's level.

You mean this :dunno:

Yeah i'm really really bored and since were digging up Thrac classics i might as well have a go.

I've taken some stick over Connolly but how City could have done with the goals Connolly scored for Sunderland this season!

And wouldn't we like to be in their position?

Spot on.

Furthermore his head isn't screwed on. RK dropped him after he turned up for training late and pissed after a night on the tiles with Elvis. Levi won't even reach Joachim's level.

Totally different kind of player. And Joachim was never injury free or consistent enough to do his ability justice, unfortunately.

As for Kelly disciplining Porter what the hell does he expect from late teenagers - weekends and evenings in watching recordings of Songs of Praise?

Just a quiet word or two of wisdom would have sufficed. He seemed to be forever disciplining or exiling people after some petty fall-out and I wouldn't be surprised if Dodds crossed him in some way too.

Pity he so rarely got the important things right.

Spot on.

He's hanging around with Elvis Hammond?

Game over for Levi.

I've taken some stick over Connolly but how City could have done with the goals Connolly scored for Sunderland this season!

I've always thought Connolly is better than the current crop of strikers we have by a country mile.

Totally different kind of player. And Joachim was never injury free or consistent enough to do his ability justice, unfortunately.

I wasn't comparing their playing ability or technique. I was comparing the fact that neither of them will fulfill their ability/chances because of off-field problems. JJ was various from circle of friends to gambling. Levi's has had an unfortunate upbringing which may come back to haunt him unless he can stay off the party and alcohol combination.

Hume is better than Connolly. I really firmly believe that, the guy had no touch.

Connolly is however worth about ten million, isn't that right Thracian?

Archived