Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Joe.

Levi Porter

Well Do you?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No - No Bullshit

• Yes
    • No

Forgive me if I am wrong, but throughout football history, I think you'll find that 99% of full backs have always 'got close' to their opposition player.

Admire the way you try to make it appear that :worship: Levi :worship: was singled out for some special treatment :rolleyes: Two men may appear always on him because they knew he'd offer the ball up to one of them in quick time.

The effect of the tight marking was not that he gave the ball away but rather that our own team found it harder to give it him. Porter lacks the pace to get away in those circumstances (hence he's not really being a winger but a creative midfielder).

Porter has excellent technical ability even by the currently improving standards of our club. Nor will he ever need to be Juninho, Deco or Xavi in the Championship.

Why his height should be a problem at the front of midfield I don't know or his supposed lack of strength. Porter is stronger than some give him credit for and, besides, our best ever midfielder David Gibson was hardly the fearsome sort. People remarked on it if his kit got dirty.

Not that I would ever suggest Porter is the next Davie Gibson - unfortunately for us!

Sorry - but that part just isn't true.

I can understand that you rate him, that's fine. But this sort of lying does you and Levi no good at all.

I've lost track of the times he's lost out on 50/50s or even 60/40s in his favour as he lacks genuine conviction to compete and also the amount of times he's been 'fairly' muscled off the ball.

MA has probably sidelined him until he bulks up a bit and can compete properly at this level. And rightly so.

David Gibson our best ever midfielder? Really next you'll be telling me that with a bit of luck oldfield should have played for england.

If levi wants to drink, sulk and throw his leice career down the pan it's his choice. MDV seems to have turned his fortunes around with some hard work and guts. It seems the only guts we'll be seeing from levi are the ones he throws up on sat night after too many vodkas and fried chicken

David Gibson our best ever midfielder? Really next you'll be telling me that with a bit of luck oldfield should have played for england.

If levi wants to drink, sulk and throw his leice career down the pan it's his choice. MDV seems to have turned his fortunes around with some hard work and guts. It seems the only guts we'll be seeing from levi are the ones he throws up on sat night after too many vodkas and fried chicken

Gibson was far and away the best midfielder I've seen in a City shirt. In an era when we topped the First Division, had a good chance to win the title, reached 4 FA Cup and League Cup finals and were a damned difficult team for even the Liverpools of the day to face.

Who would you say was better?

Gibson was far and away the best midfielder I've seen in a City shirt. In an era when we topped the First Division, had a good chance to win the title, reached 4 FA Cup and League Cup finals and were a damned difficult team for even the Liverpools of the day to face.

Who would you say was better?

Considering he's only supported Leicester since 1984, the list of midfielders is hardly going to be mesmerising.

Hopefully we can get some of contract drawn up with every other side in the Championship this season to ensure that nobody marks him and he is allowed the freedom of the pitch to make his incisive killer through-balls and strike the ball with that beautiful technical quality he has.

Hopefully we can get some of contract drawn up with every other side in the Championship this season to ensure that nobody marks him and he is allowed the freedom of the pitch to make his incisive killer through-balls and strike the ball with that beautiful technical quality he has.

Stunning signature.

:worship:

Stunning signature.

Yep, spot on.

Although it's just typical of someone of your obvious anti-youth standing that Andy King doesn't get a look in!

Or alternatively that he is allowed to leave the left touchline and that he is helped, as other players should be, by having runners of him whenever he receives the ball, tightly marked or not.

Just a question - which marvellous footballing technician would you play on our left side right now.?

Or alternatively that he is allowed to leave the left touchline and that he is helped, as other players should be, by having runners of him whenever he receives the ball, tightly marked or not.

Just a question - which marvellous footballing technician would you play on our left side right now.?

I'd play Levi Porter actually.

Porter has excellent technical ability even by the currently improving standards of our club. Nor will he ever need to be Juninho, Deco or Xavi in the Championship.

Why his height should be a problem at the front of midfield I don't know or his supposed lack of strength. Porter is stronger than some give him credit for and, besides, our best ever midfielder David Gibson was hardly the fearsome sort. People remarked on it if his kit got dirty.

Not that I would ever suggest Porter is the next Davie Gibson - unfortunately for us!

Central midfielder`s in this day and age need to be more than just decent tacklers, they need to have the ability to head the ball, burst forward, defend, score goals and have a general all-round game. Thats why the Steven Gerrards of this world are so valuable. Levi doesn't possess many of the attributes required for this ultra-difficult position. Simple as. Nothing to do with patience or anything else. He is a wide midfielder who needs to team up with a good left-back to get the better out of him and that may well happen one day but he isnt a central midfielder!

Central midfielder`s in this day and age need to be more than just decent tacklers, they need to have the ability to head the ball, burst forward, defend, score goals and have a general all-round game. Thats why the Steven Gerrards of this world are so valuable. Levi doesn't possess many of the attributes required for this ultra-difficult position. Simple as. Nothing to do with patience or anything else. He is a wide midfielder who needs to team up with a good left-back to get the better out of him and that may well happen one day but he isnt a central midfielder!

Porter has stacks of attributes for an attacking central midfield player as he's demonstrated on occasions he's played there for the reserves.

Even defensively he covers willingly. He's rarely caught out ball-watching, he passes and moves quickly and simply, he can break forward and he can shoot.

Heading will never be his forte although he leaps well for a little one and heads it well enough when he gets chance but I'd hardly call Clemence and Wesolowski masters of the heading game.

Furthermore Porter has stamina, is fast to recover, is well balanced and agile, able to cope in difficult situations and as easily passes the ball to left or right. He sees runs and can deliver the ball accurately.

Kishishev, for example, heads the ball better, and is probably stronger in the tackle but is he better at the other things?. I like the bloke as a player but I doubt it.

Truth is all our midfielders have strengths and weaknesses but all four, unlike last season, are quality players and I hope MA can play to their strengths.

Porter has stacks of attributes for an attacking central midfield player as he's demonstrated on occasions he's played there for the reserves.

Even defensively he covers willingly. He's rarely caught out ball-watching, he passes and moves quickly and simply, he can break forward and he can shoot.

Heading will never be his forte although he leaps well for a little one and heads it well enough when he gets chance but I'd hardly call Clemence and Wesolowski masters of the heading game.

Furthermore Porter has stamina, is fast to recover, is well balanced and agile, able to cope in difficult situations and as easily passes the ball to left or right. He sees runs and can deliver the ball accurately.

Kishishev, for example, heads the ball better, and is probably stronger in the tackle but is he better at the other things?. I like the bloke as a player but I doubt it.

Truth is all our midfielders have strengths and weaknesses but all four, unlike last season, are quality players and I hope MA can play to their strengths.

This is actually one of his biggest weaknesses.

For someone who watches him so much, you really don't know much about him, do you?

I've lost count of the amount of times he's driven me mad by standing on the by-line (being marked) but offering no movement, no option to team mates and simply standing still.

Granted, it was endemic in the side last season - but to say he wasn't guilty of it is crass and stupid.

This is actually one of his biggest weaknesses.

For someone who watches him so much, you really don't know much about him, do you?

I've lost count of the amount of times he's driven me mad by standing on the by-line (being marked) but offering no movement, no option to team mates and simply standing still.

Granted, it was endemic in the side last season - but to say he wasn't guilty of it is crass and stupid.

:doh: It's not :worship: Levi's :worship: fault the full back just didn't get him the ball quick enough so he could waltz past his marker with his less than blistering pace.

:worship: Levi :worship: is great at finding space, it is just unfortunate the oppo full back is always there next to him, almost as if he is second guessing his every move.

:doh: It's not :worship: Levi's :worship: fault the full back just didn't get him the ball quick enough so he could waltz past his marker with his less than blistering pace.

:worship: Levi :worship: is great at finding space, it is just unfortunate the oppo full back is always there next to him, almost as if he is second guessing his every move.

:thumbup:

Nevermind.

MA has seemingly got him sussed and he'll be moving on soon with any luck.

Im forwarding this on to Rafa Benitez as I think you`ve just found the long term replacement for Steve Gerrard. :|

I think posts like yours is typical of over-rating our young players and thats why some people bang their heads against the wall because they simply don't see it during the first team games. Regardless of how good a player is in the reserves or youth team football, its all about what we see in the first team and whilst Levi has done OK at times, people like you over-hyping there ability actually does them no favours because the fans that dont go week in week out feel let down when they see these younger lads not do the business.

Lets hope Levi does do well at left-mid but it is worrying for him that MA doesn't seem to rate him as he hasn't featured as much as expected in pre-season.

Im forwarding this on to Rafa Benitez as I think you`ve just found the long term replacement for Steve Gerrard. :|

I think posts like yours is typical of over-rating our young players and thats why some people bang their heads against the wall because they simply don't see it during the first team games. Regardless of how good a player is in the reserves or youth team football, its all about what we see in the first team and whilst Levi has done OK at times, people like you over-hyping there ability actually does them no favours because the fans that dont go week in week out feel let down when they see these younger lads not do the business.

Lets hope Levi does do well at left-mid but it is worrying for him that MA doesn't seem to rate him as he hasn't featured as much as expected in pre-season.

Who says MA doesn't rate him? He's 19/20. He's played 30 games in his first senior season and got at least one goal or assist in every three matches which is reasonably commendable...and probably better than Newton, Jarrett, Hughes, Horsfield, Fryatt, Wesolowski last season.

If he can make the same contribution this season in a better side it will be excellent, considering the competition for places.

MA says we have 8 youngsters at our club who are "good". Porter would appear to be one of them. Others might simply have had more game time because they are new to the club or need to get their fitness up.

I do however think that the competition issue will mean a fewer opportunities for the young players and that some decent prospects will move on - not because they are poor footballers (as MA says, you don't win the Academy title by being crap) but because we are gearing up for Premiership football and not everyone will necessarily be that good.

Who says MA doesn't rate him? He's 19/20. He's played 30 games in his first senior season and got at least one goal or assist in every three matches which is reasonably commendable...and probably better than Newton, Jarrett, Hughes, Horsfield, Fryatt, Wesolowski last season.

If he can make the same contribution this season in a better side it will be excellent, considering the competition for places.

MA says we have 8 youngsters at our club who are "good". Porter would appear to be one of them. Others might simply have had more game time because they are new to the club or need to get their fitness up.

I do however think that the competition issue will mean a fewer opportunities for the young players and that some decent prospects will move on - not because they are poor footballers (as MA says, you don't win the Academy title by being crap) but because we are gearing up for Premiership football and not everyone will necessarily be that good.

Left Mid seems to be a problem position for us with all sorts of players tried there during pre-season so I doubt that MA rates him that highly because he is odds on not to start in that possie on Saturday.

Left Mid seems to be a problem position for us with all sorts of players tried there during pre-season so I doubt that MA rates him that highly because he is odds on not to start in that possie on Saturday.

Left-wing, like left-back seems to be a problem position all round today because the requirements have changed.

If a guy is fast, dribbles well, attacks players and scores goals, like Gradel, he still gets criticised for not being a good defender. Who the hell can attack players at speed all day and still find energy to defend? Giggs maybe.?

If the winger covers back tirelessly and provides the get-out pass for defenders in trouble he's criticised for not beating folks and scoring goals.

We've tried an unbelievable number of wide players these last two seasons because none of them can do both things well and if they could they'd be in the Premiership, demand is so great.

Porter, Mattock, Beswick, Sheehan, Yeates, Hayes, Tiatto on the left, Sylla, Low, Newton, Hughes, Maybury, Wesolowski, Stearman, Gradel, Hammond on the right. Even if I've not forgotten someone that's 16 players!

The big reason all come up short is that it's an unreasonable ask. Indeed I was intrigued to see how two full-backs Mattock and Sheehan worked the flank at Quorn because the idea of interchanging might have worked quite well. Indeed it did against modest opposition but one try hardly represents a solution.

In the end I thought why constantly change the players when you could modify the system to the 4-2-4 I've suggested instead of sticking so rigidly with a flawed 4-4-2?. Yes it would require a midfield capable centre-back to help but it would make the left winger's job a bit more realistic, and give him more freedom and chance to focus on attack.

Left-wing, like left-back seems to be a problem position all round today because the requirements have changed.

If a guy is fast, dribbles well, attacks players and scores goals, like Gradel, he still gets criticised for not being a good defender. Who the hell can attack players at speed all day and still find energy to defend? Giggs maybe.?

If the winger covers back tirelessly and provides the get-out pass for defenders in trouble he's criticised for not beating folks and scoring goals.

We've tried an unbelievable number of wide players these last two seasons because none of them can do both things well and if they could they'd be in the Premiership, demand is so great.

Porter, Mattock, Beswick, Sheehan, Yeates, Hayes, Tiatto on the left, Sylla, Low, Newton, Hughes, Maybury, Wesolowski, Stearman, Gradel, Hammond on the right. Even if I've not forgotten someone that's 16 players!

The big reason all come up short is that it's an unreasonable ask. Indeed I was intrigued to see how two full-backs Mattock and Sheehan worked the flank at Quorn because the idea of interchanging might have worked quite well. Indeed it did against modest opposition but one try hardly represents a solution.

In the end I thought why constantly change the players when you could modify the system to the 4-2-4 I've suggested instead of sticking so rigidly with a flawed 4-4-2?. Yes it would require a midfield capable centre-back to help but it would make the left winger's job a bit more realistic, and give him more freedom and chance to focus on attack.

4-2-4 is the same as 4-4-2.

i wonder if we'd signed levi and he hadn't come through our academy if thrac would be praising him so much? :whistle::ph34r:

It would make no difference whatsoever.

If you are referring to wingers only I thought Hayes was quite impressive against Hinckley and was disappointed that didn't continue against Notts County.

In other positions, I've praised Fryatt enough this close season and cannot recall pushing the equally impressive Academy striker Odhiambo any more forcefully.

I've considered Wesolowski our best midfielder overall but it hasn't stopped me praising Clemence and Kishishev.

Similarly with the right-backs. I'd play Chambers there sooner than ex-Academy product Stearman because he's impressed me more. But then Stearman impressed at centre-back.

And I'd no sooner have a weaker Academy player chosen for our team in favour of an imported player than I would have an Academy player overlooked because some out-of-form import was getting more money or had only signed based on his being guaranteed regular football.

In the end I thought why constantly change the players when you could modify the system to the 4-2-4 I've suggested instead of sticking so rigidly with a flawed 4-4-2?.

The simple reason that 4-4-2 is the preferred option is the number of passing options that it presents.

Total passing options up to 40m

4-2-4: 54 options

4-3-3: 56 options

4-4-2: 66 options

4-5-1: 62 options

Percentage passes from midfield to attack (%)

4-2-4: 15

4-3-3: 13

4-4-2: 12

4-5-1: 8

Passing load per midfielder (%)

4-2-4: 17

4-3-3: 14

4-4-2: 12

4-5-1: 11

Ref: How To Score by Ken Bray

cover.jpg

Archived