Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Joe.

Levi Porter

Well Do you?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No - No Bullshit

• Yes
    • No

I'm just interested to know really.

I can't understand the turn in opinions of him. OK he tailed off at the end of last season, but he has ability, and is the best we've got at the moment. I still think with a kick up the arse, he could and should play better and be more consistent.

Therefore at the moment, with what we have I think yes.

EDIT: Dammit warrant is spelt wrong.

And do mods have the power to add polls to this? There was meant to be one but I'm crap when it comes to making polls. <_<

It would be interesting to see Levi in a more settled team. I still think that he has been over-rated by some at times but you have to give the lad some time because he is still young and inexperienced and could improve. I personally would want someone better on the left-side of midfield but it is a problem position for us at the moment and he is arguably the best of the options on that side of the pitch.

I can't understand the turn in opinions of him. OK he tailed off at the end of last season, but he has ability, and is the best we've got at the moment. I still think with a kick up the arse, he could and should play better and be more consistent.

And do mods have the power to add polls to this? There was meant to be one but I'm crap when it comes to making polls. <_<

I really do not think that Allen is a fan of Levis. He's not really figured in pre-season at all, which would make you think he doesn't really see him as a starter this Saturday.

You're right, he did tail of at the end of last season. To this point I am still surprised we have not strengthened down the left side, after letting Nils go we were left really weak down the left. As a problem area, I would be shocked if it wasn't bolstered next week.

As for Levi starting, I don't think he will. Maybe it's something that has been passed on from the old coaches that has made Allen stay away.

He was made to look good last season in one of the worst midfields of all time, but there were many who rated him as our best player for much of last season.

I certainly think he can do a job for us and with the left side being some what of a problem area in terms of quality new signings, personally I'd play Mattock at LB leaving a slot LM. I havn't really seen much of Hayes and Newton I'd prefer on the right so that only really leaves porter as the natural LM.

I'd certainly expect him to make the squad and still be involved regularly, but 1st choice LM in a promotion chasing side? I still think he has a bit to prove.

he's 19 guys, he played some quality stuff. scored about four goals and must of had about 7-8 assist last season. He must be the second best young english left sided player for his age behind downing of course. The lads got the potential to be a star this season.

he's 19 guys, he played some quality stuff. scored about four goals and must of had about 7-8 assist last season. He must be the second best young english left sided player for his age behind downing of course. The lads got the potential to be a star this season.

:blink:

Lolage :worship:

Thirty matches as a teenager in his first season, three goals and a good few assists is a decent return for his first season.

But although he's been played on the wing because that's where there's been a vacancy amd because it's probably an easier baptism than playing in the centre, Porter is best as a creative central midfield player.

I think he's a good attacker given chance but is too often isolated from the game when out on the wing and too preoccupioed with defensive duties which he performs willingly and well enough but which dull his edge as an attacker.

Wherever he starts this season he should have far more freedom to roam and influence the game.

Thirty matches as a teenager in his first season, three goals and a good few assists is a decent return for his first season.

But although he's been played on the wing because that's where there's been a vacancy amd because it's probably an easier baptism than playing in the centre, Porter is best as a creative central midfield player.

I think he's a good attacker given chance but is too often isolated from the game when out on the wing and too preoccupioed with defensive duties which he performs willingly and well enough but which dull his edge as an attacker.

Wherever he starts this season he should have far more freedom to roam and influence the game.

Do you still think that he can do it in central-midfield? :|

:worship: Levi :worship:

In small sided games he bosses from the central area proving he would be an ideal foil for Steven Clemence.

First name on the team sheet and how he didn't go to the Euro Championships in the summer with Stuart Pearce's under 21's is one of lifes biggest mysteries.

I think he's a good attacker given chance but is too often isolated from the game when out on the wing and too preoccupied with defensive duties which he performs willingly and well enough but which dull his edge as an attacker.

I don't think it's a case of "wherever he starts" more a case of where he will fit in. I certainly don't see there being any chance of Porter playing through the centre.

He is never going to make it as a central midfielder, basically because of his lack of height and strength. To make it as a small central midfielder you have to have unbelievable technical ability like Juninho, Deco or Xavi. And well, comparing our Levi to them is a non starter really.

He is never going to make it as a central midfielder, basically because of his lack of height and strength. To make it as a small central midfielder you have to have unbelievable technical ability like Juninho, Deco or Xavi. And well, comparing our Levi to them is a non starter really.

Porter has excellent technical ability even by the currently improving standards of our club. Nor will he ever need to be Juninho, Deco or Xavi in the Championship.

Why his height should be a problem at the front of midfield I don't know or his supposed lack of strength. Porter is stronger than some give him credit for and, besides, our best ever midfielder David Gibson was hardly the fearsome sort. People remarked on it if his kit got dirty.

Not that I would ever suggest Porter is the next Davie Gibson - unfortunately for us!

He was only good last season because he was virtually unknown and could run at people. This season, if opposing scouts are any good, they will release that with a strong person near him he can't really do anything.

That was why he wasn't very good towards the end of last season; the opposition knew about him.

It seems to me that alot of people slate Levi on here, when at times last season he scored some vital goals & put in a good performance against Fulham most notably for me. At times in games he wasn't the best admitidly, but at others he was the only bright spark & the only one that I thought could make something happen. Bar the obvious (Hume). Him being small dosent help him as he can get musceled of the ball easily by bigger players, but if hes allowd to run at the defender he looked like he worried them at times.

He has had the bust up with Allen... plus... As some of you know... on thursday nights he plays pool for his local pub team... And one of my mates was playing against him last thursday and Levi was drinking shots of vodka all night and was totally stinking of it and was completely drunk... So he obviously isn't interested in putting his all in for the club as the next day at training he wouldn't be at full fitness and therefore I don't believe he gets a place in the team !! :angry:

He has had the bust up with Allen... plus... As some of you know... on thursday nights he plays pool for his local pub team... And one of my mates was playing against him last thursday and Levi was drinking shots of vodka all night and was totally stinking of it and was completely drunk... So he obviously isn't interested in putting his all in for the club as the next day at training he wouldn't be at full fitness and therefore I don't believe he gets a place in the team !! :angry:

I did hear something along these lines but didn't post it as I didn't know how much substance it had.

Considering he was a first team regular last year, it does seem a little strange that Allen hasn't pushed him a bit more...

He was only good last season because he was virtually unknown and could run at people. This season, if opposing scouts are any good, they will release that with a strong person near him he can't really do anything.

That was why he wasn't very good towards the end of last season; the opposition knew about him.

Simple as that.

Fancy no-one spotting that til now - after all his time at Leicester!.

Porter got man marked in the first place because those scouts noticed that he was the only creative player in City's side and just about the only one making goals at the time.

The opposition could have man-marked Hughes or Jarrett just as easily but why bother? They marked Porter.

And the fact that Porter could be at least contained in that way was down to two things. His strictly defined and predictable role in the team. And the fact that our team had virtually no movement all season.

Solutions seemed beyond our management. Have Porter draw his marker to the halfway line and Nils clip high balls over their heads to the various runners?. Or have the tightly marked Porter move inside for a wall pass to the overlapping full-back on the outside?. It was never going to happen with our team because we didn't use an overlapping left back or the players to exploit space .

But now there is movement in our team, lots of it, front and back.

And man-marking anyone will be much more difficult because a) we'll have more forwards potentially needing more than one man to contain them - Hume, DeVries, Campbell, Odhiambo etc and b) because those same players would exploit any space Porter might create with runs intended to take his marker out of position.

Which is, fundamentally, why teams much prefer to use a zonal marking system.

Man marking might well subdue one individual. But not a group of them.

the Thracian propaganda machine in full swing.

he isn't good enough as a winger, not enough pace and doesn't attack the full back enough, not seen him in a central role so cant comment on that

Simple as that.

Fancy no-one spotting that til now - after all his time at Leicester!.

Porter got man marked in the first place because those scouts noticed that he was the only creative player in City's side and just about the only one making goals at the time.

The opposition could have man-marked Hughes or Jarrett just as easily but why bother? They marked Porter.

And the fact that Porter could be at least contained in that way was down to two things. His strictly defined and predictable role in the team. And the fact that our team had virtually no movement all season.

Solutions seemed beyond our management. Have Porter draw his marker to the halfway line and Nils clip high balls over their heads to the various runners?. Or have the tightly marked Porter move inside for a wall pass to the overlapping full-back on the outside?. It was never going to happen with our team because we didn't use an overlapping left back or the players to exploit space .

But now there is movement in our team, lots of it, front and back.

And man-marking anyone will be much more difficult because a) we'll have more forwards potentially needing more than one man to contain them - Hume, DeVries, Campbell, Odhiambo etc and b) because those same players would exploit any space Porter might create with runs intended to take his marker out of position.

Which is, fundamentally, why teams much prefer to use a zonal marking system.

Man marking might well subdue one individual. But not a group of them.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but throughout football history, I think you'll find that 99% of full backs have always 'got close' to their opposition player.

Admire the way you try to make it appear that :worship: Levi :worship: was singled out for some special treatment :rolleyes: Two men may appear always on him because they knew he'd offer the ball up to one of them in quick time.

Archived