Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Simi

Allens reaction

Good evening,

The players gave everything they had today. It was a disappointing start to the game - Blackpool were on top of us and overpowered us during the first 25 minutes. But after that we got into it - in the second part of the first half if that makes sense.

We played further up the field with a much higher tempo in the second half. We created numerous chances and the stats that I have got in my office confirm that. But those chances have to be taken - and they will be. Our strikers are good players and we will get our returns if we keep playing like that.

There were four new players in the side today who did not play last year. Those are the facts. It's a big change around but as I have said before - that is no excuse. It's a get out clause for anybody, but it certainly isn't one for me.

A lot of changes have been made and I still feel there are more to come, but I will have to chat to the Chairman about that.

James Chambers was down injured when they scored. The ball was in the final third of the field and they had possession. If it was on the other foot I think we would have done the same to be honest with you. The referee was aware of it and we have to respect his decision and take what comes our way.

It is too early to know the full extent of James' injury. Everybody will now be in tomorrow morning and we will have a look at it then.

Mark de Vries got his opportunity today. He has worked hard and has done very well in pre-season. He has earned the right to play.

We always work as a team. We play, win and lose as a team. The team gave everything they had got today. They could have had a bit more craft and quality in the final third, especially in the last 25 minutes when we had so much of the ball. We needed to be a bit more patient, but you could see how desperate and anxious the players were to get that goal. When the chances came and they weren't taken then tension and anxiety creep in and you start to kick it in to the box. But on the side of the pitch we were encouraging them to play.

I knew all about Blackpool. You don't go 10 games on the spin for nothing. They were well disciplined and well organised. They all fight for each other and work together. They have got some players with a bit of quality. They work for each other and respect each other. That recipe goes a long way at any level.

It's painful on the inside at the moment. It is like I have got razor blades in my guts. But I will have to live with that and deal with it. I don't like losing - it makes me angry and annoyed. But for the press conference after the game I have to keep nice and calm and cool. We have to get back ready. A knock back doesn't hurt me - it makes me stronger.

I am going to take all my children and nephews out tomorrow afternoon and we will be climbing trees around Berkshire. I will be having a lovely time with my family, but of course you know what is going to be on my mind.

Take Care,

Martin

Damn site more encouraging than... "their a smashing bunch of lads" :rolleyes:

He may talk the talk and he may be a cult hero because of his quirkiness but really what was he doing today with tactics and team selection like that. I'm so disappointed that after a full pre-season he still managed to make a dogs dinner of it all.

He may talk the talk and he may be a cult hero because of his quirkiness but really what was he doing today with tactics and team selection like that. I'm so disappointed that after a full pre-season he still managed to make a dogs dinner of it all.

The inclusion of Weso in the wing was the only real poor one imo.

Ditto "talking the talk" and "walking the walk" are very different things.... still he should learn from today, and I'm confident he will, but its fair to say we had a better performance today than for a fair while, but still not good enough, as you say... and with the squad we've put together we should be achiving more than what we did today, we may have been unlucky (and IMHO) but that wont wash for very long and nor should it!

Perhaps he was talking to his management team or the players, oh no that wouldn't do would it?

Time 3.20 am.

MA to AW - 'What's the Mrs got planned fro dinner tonight Ade?

AW to MA - 'Nothing, she said if I want to ponce around at the side of a football pitch watching 11 players behaving like kids I can make my own fooking dinner'

Agreed. He is the gaffer and sees a lot more of the players than we do. Although to be fair it is quite blatant we should have played Hayes.

Why people are so fuming with an opening day defeat, in which we played reasonably and were unlucky, I cannot understand. Especially when the majority of said people agreed we wouldn't be promoted this year. :rolleyes:

Newton on the left was poor aswell for me. They both kept coming inside to leave no width. It left both Mattock and Chambers with no out ball, so they had to either pass back or lump up top.

Agreed. He is the gaffer and sees a lot more of the players than we do. Although to be fair it is quite blatant we should have played Hayes.

Why people are so fuming with an opening day defeat, in which we played reasonably and were unlucky, I cannot understand. Especially when the majority of said people agreed we wouldn't be promoted this year. :rolleyes:

I think a lot of people don't THINK we'll go up this year, but hold out quite a bit of hope that we will, which is why so many people seem dead angry at what was a slightly flawed but mostly unlucky performance.

Newton on the left was poor aswell for me. They both kept coming inside to leave no width. It left both Mattock and Chambers with no out ball, so they had to either pass back or lump up top.

Well yes, but he still should have played. Just on the right.

I think his problem is; MA has three decent central midfielders in Weso, Clem and Kish and wants to accommodate them all, a'la Sven with England. It's just not possible. One of them will have to be sacrificed for the greater good of the team so that we have the prerequisite width.

We looked much better when they switched flanks, but we were deliberately reliant on the full-backs for width. Whether that's right or wrong is another discussion. They were both playing much higher up the pitch than when Kelly was in charge with the 'wingers' just inside them.

To be fair i'm sure it takes a long time and a lot of effort to sign players. He hasn't been here that long and signing 12 players + having to move house, get to know everybody etc...a lot of work involved. He has already said there are more signings on the way and maybe he felt that certain positions were more important to get right first and he had to prioritise.

I think his problem is; MA has three decent central midfielders in Weso, Clem and Kish and wants to accommodate them all, a'la Sven with England. It's just not possible. One of them will have to be sacrificed for the greater good of the team so that we have the prerequisite width.

It's perfectly possible to use all three - but not in a 4-4-2.

It's perfectly possible to use all three - but not in a 4-4-2.

You're quite right of course, but I just don't see MA going with a 3 man midfield for more than shorter periods or when we're chasing the game. Even today it was more like 3-4-3 than 4-3-3.

True, it was a total mess, nobody knew what they were doing really and the blames lies with MA.

i said it on another thread... new manager, new style of play, new players ( and even more still to come) we were never going to come right out of the blocks and play like world beaters... however if we are not looking more fluent as a unit after 5 or so games then i will begin to worry.

People will perhaps think along the lines of 'but we lost to blackpool, of all teams'

They have earnt the right to be here.

i saw a few encouraging things.. yet its clear we are not the finished article yet.. which is why we are after 3 maybe 4 more players... really looking forward to seeing kaebi play too when he is recovered from his injury...

i said it on another thread... new manager, new style of play, new players ( and even more still to come) we were never going to come right out of the blocks and play like world beaters... however if we are not looking more fluent as a unit after 5 or so games then i will begin to worry.

People will perhaps think along the lines of 'but we lost to blackpool, of all teams'

They have earnt the right to be here.

i saw a few encouraging things.. yet its clear we are not the finished article yet.. which is why we are after 3 maybe 4 more players... really looking forward to seeing kaebi play too when he is recovered from his injury...

Blackpool are on a long run of victories and with the Simon Grayson connection this was always going to be a tricky game.

I rated it a draw cos I hate backing against City but the defeat didn't surprise me although had we managed a draw I would have considered it a decent starting performance in the circumstances.

Indeed, compared with the shit we were served for most of last season today's game was a pleasure to watch with lots of chances, shots and goalmouth incidents.

Damn me we might even have had two penalties. One when Hume took a tumble first half and the other when Hayes burst into the box and looked for the touch which wasn't long in coming. Once MDV smashed that shot against the woodwork there was always something happening.

Newton oh my god, why oh why put him in the side. :( Hes just bad, much rather see someone like Odihambo get a go on the right. Or even putting Hume right midfield & playing DJ up top with MDV.

Amazing how people see football matches.

I thought newton looked one of the better players

Archived