Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DB11

FIFA Manager 2008

The only real thing that drags the game down is the fact there are no proper managers or chairman, but this can be fixed by the editor

Im getting it at christmas is there no real managers ?

Ok. I have had FIFA manager for nearly 2 weeks now, and here is my take on the game:

1. Extremly poor use of english in it. For example " Leicester City have had six send offs this year" Whats all that about?!? If you want to be a big player on the manager game fronts you cant make such awful errors like that.... There were too many to mention..... My english isnt perfect but im not making a game and charging 25-30 quid for it...

2. Menu layouts are poor. It gives you 4 options along the top of the screen but no matter which one you go to you get the list for all of them. CRAP.

3. It has a 'personal life' section . CRAP. oh you can get a girl friend and 'buy her a gift' it says she likes the gift but it doesnt let you know what the gift was! oh and it even decided what my girlfriend looked like she kept on spending all my money too. she apparently spent £5,500 of it on a gown dress - even though we had been 'dating' for less than a week. And this is outside of the gift that i bought her. Oh and if you click on a button it says you play golf or train to become a sailor. so you click on the button and thats ALL that happens. it just tells you that you went sailing.

4. i like the option where you can hover over a player in your team and it gives you a list of players who can play in that position and how they rate over a chosen attribute like fitness, ect.

That sadly is the only thing i like about it..

I think to me its clear that FM2008 is aimed at an older audience... in FIFA manager 2008 you get all this weird computer genrated player faces... everything seems 'bigger and bolder' when it comes to the fonts and photos..

someone on here said the depth of it was huge... i would say that it has lots of pointless features that annoy the heck out of me...

i could go on with the things i find annoying about it, but i'll just say that FM manager wins hands down. No contest.

I bought it yesterday (yes, Sunday Shopping rules!!).

Started out with my own created team and I must say that the sheer amount of menues can drag on a bit. There's just so many parameters to adjust.

My first season was quite frustrating, mostly because I had never played a FIFA Manager before. Oh, and I usually don't read the manuals that come along with the disc :whistle: . I only survived in the Regional National league because I managed to win my last three games. Ended up one spot above the relegation zone (with 52 points).

Does anybody know how to fix the random managers' names and how to get the proper team badges for the Conference teams (I mean, apart from changing it manually by the help of the editor)? Does EA provide that via patches?

And what's the best way to attract new players from other clubs to join your own team? I tried several times, but higher-league players just won't make the switch. Where's the best minor league players for a lower budget to be found?

Entering my second season now and I've finally started to hire scouts, coaching staff for my reserves as well as a team doctor. In retrospect, I should've done that earlier. I also need to adjust my tactics - especially my sloppy defense (92 goals against :whistle: ). And a few of my academy lads have made their way into the first team. I've promised my team to do better than last season... :P

Some early notes about the game itself:

The CG faces do look slightly crappy/generic - and you can even play as a woman. :giggle:

The personal life corner's nothing too fancy - a few clicks here and there. Please the girlfriend, go sailing or improve your golf handicap.

The commentary's more annoying than fitting - there's not many variations there and the two keep repeating themselves over and over and over and over.

The 3D mode does look neat at first glance, but the action on the pitch gets repetitive with time. I think I'll switch it off in the future.

I like the idea of building and/or expanding my own stadium, and just look at all the other buildings you can add - sheeesh.

The team editor lacks more options when it comes to team badges - the kit generator's cool, though.

But to be honest, I spent way too much time on it yesterday. Hours. It's addictive.

So after a couple of seasons you're rich enough to buy a football club? Ludicrous.

No. It depends how much wages you are on and how much the club is worth.

But, pre patch, there was a bug meaning after a few seasons most clubs went bankrupt therefore you could buy the likes of Chelsea after that period of time.

It is now fixed post patch :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about selling the game again.

Since buying it about a week ago, I have more negatives to comment on than positives:

PROS

Licensed teams for almost all leagues (even my home team)

Creating your own kit is fun

Huge database & editor

Stadium editor

CONS

Windows Vista icons keep popping up in the Main Menu

My mouse doesn't react properly and is slower than usual

No license for lower league teams (no logos, no players)

Menues are a mess and the main team screen looks awful (resembling chaos)

The Private Corner doesn't really add much more to the game

Some real players don't have their real face (Iain Hume, for instance)

In 3D mode, my defense often times walks around like headless chicken

There are way too many blatant offside positions in 3D mode(for either team), but the ref doesn't whistle at all

Matchup facts don't really add much more to the game (sometimes, the game uses random other team facts)

In 3D mode, almost every time I lead 1-0, the opposition attacks and scores the equalizer straightaway

Half-time talks have little to no effect on the game

Colour changes with the team screen make little to no difference

3D mode gets annoying with time (moves and attacks keep repeating themselves)

Annoying and inappropriate commentary (it hardly ever fits the match happenings)

Unpersonal 3D player and manager faces look truly dreadful - yikes!

Generic player and manager names are really odd

Even after uploading the latest (and probably last available) patch, the game crashes on me every 4th or 5th time when I restart a game by going back to the Main Menu.

The music tracks get annoying with time.

Won't let me use my iTunes m4ps.

So, all in all, FIFA Manager 08's been more of a nuisance to me than joy.

What do you think of it?

Thinking about selling the game again.

Since buying it about a week ago, I have more negatives to comment on than positives:

PROS

Licensed teams for almost all leagues (even my home team)

Creating your own kit is fun

Huge database & editor

Stadium editor

CONS

Windows Vista icons keep popping up in the Main Menu

My mouse doesn't react properly and is slower than usual

No license for lower league teams (no logos, no players)

Menues are a mess and the main team screen looks awful (resembling chaos)

The Private Corner doesn't really add much more to the game

Some real players don't have their real face (Iain Hume, for instance)

In 3D mode, my defense often times walks around like headless chicken

There are way too many blatant offside positions in 3D mode(for either team), but the ref doesn't whistle at all

Matchup facts don't really add much more to the game (sometimes, the game uses random other team facts)

In 3D mode, almost every time I lead 1-0, the opposition attacks and scores the equalizer straightaway

Half-time talks have little to no effect on the game

Colour changes with the team screen make little to no difference

3D mode gets annoying with time (moves and attacks keep repeating themselves)

Annoying and inappropriate commentary (it hardly ever fits the match happenings)

Unpersonal 3D player and manager faces look truly dreadful - yikes!

Generic player and manager names are really odd

Even after uploading the latest (and probably last available) patch, the game crashes on me every 4th or 5th time when I restart a game by going back to the Main Menu.

The music tracks get annoying with time.

Won't let me use my iTunes m4ps.

So, all in all, FIFA Manager 08's been more of a nuisance to me than joy.

What do you think of it?

i agree 100% . i consider it a waste of money. its really poor.

Archived