Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Motorbikes are brilliant

I'm too big for a 125, I was thinking of it as a cheap commute but test costs, buying the safety gear etc means a fairly hefty initial outlay. Wish I'd taken my test when I was 17 but cars came along.

The British Motorcycle Federation (BMF) hold two trade shows each year. The first one is being held on 16th & 17th May at the East of England Show Ground, Peterborough.

You tend to find most manufacturers and large motorcycle outlets in attendance, selling this seasons as well as last years clothing and accessories.

I bought a new one piece leather (made by Wolf, a good quality brand) for £190 last year. They retail at £450+.

You will be able to pick up decent crash helmets for £20 onwards and textile jackets for £30+.

Definately worth a day out.

Im quite tempted to dust down the old "Scott Flying Squirrel" now , and see if she still goes like she used to :thumbup:

Blimey! Is it in good nick? That must be worth something by now.

I've only ever seen two, and that's only at classic shows/displays. They always seem to do well.

Diamond Bikes Ltd is 25 yards from my office, I've just popped around there and been offered an 05 CBR125 for £1,300, all I need to do is get a CBT. This is very tempting.

You can have it if I can have one of these.

vespaS-side_x37m3to.jpg

Diamond Bikes Ltd is 25 yards from my office, I've just popped around there and been offered an 05 CBR125 for £1,300, all I need to do is get a CBT. This is very tempting.

Something like that will have very low depreciation because there'll always be another person wanting a 125 for their test.

Downside - you're unlikely to see the dangerous side of 60mph.

A Vespa, on the other hand, does not require a CBT, and can also be used by the good lady wife, who really shouldn't be allowed on anything more powerful that has two wheels.

Shit roadholding, pissy little wheels, bugger all acceleration = accident waiting to happen.

Temperamental bitch, two wheels, >50cc, any hint of acceleration = accident waiting to happen.

Yeah, but I'll look the business as I scoot around town on it, and that's all that matters

This is my Vespa we're talking about. Go and get your own!

Something like that will have very low depreciation because there'll always be another person wanting a 125 for their test.

Downside - you're unlikely to see the dangerous side of 60mph.

I had a look at the 4 cbr's, 2 Aprilia's a Cagiva and a cheap chinese import at diamond, when asked the question do you want speed or reliability I went for the later and he recommended the cbr. The Aprilias and Cagiva look good but less speed might be a better idea, I was told he wouldn't sell the chinese bike to his worst enemy.

I had a look at the 4 cbr's, 2 Aprilia's a Cagiva and a cheap chinese import at diamond, when asked the question do you want speed or reliability I went for the later and he recommended the cbr. The Aprilias and Cagiva look good but less speed might be a better idea, I was told he wouldn't sell the chinese bike to his worst enemy.

Depends on how much he's charging and how long you plan on keeping it for. I'd go Chinese for a cheap hack runaround.

Your Italian bikes (depending upon which) can be detuned and actually have real roadholding and a pair of bollocks. Bollocks not to be sniffed at too.

If you simply want a cheap commuter then going for something older like a Honda CG125 would be miles better. It runs on a thimble of petrol, had a bit more poke than the CBR, is less nickable and is a piece of piss to work on/tune.

Depends on how much he's charging and how long you plan on keeping it for. I'd go Chinese for a cheap hack runaround.

Your Italian bikes (depending upon which) can be detuned and actually have real roadholding and a pair of bollocks. Bollocks not to be sniffed at too.

If you simply want a cheap commuter then going for something older like a Honda CG125 would be miles better. It runs on a thimble of petrol, had a bit more poke than the CBR, is less nickable and is a piece of piss to work on/tune.

If you search for bikes on autotrader using postcode le103hb and distance of 1 mile you'll see what is on offer (excluding the Lifan Trailblaser and the cheap cbr I've been offered). Would be interested in your opinion.

I'm not sure I'm going to go ahead at the moment.

If you search for bikes on autotrader using postcode le103hb and distance of 1 mile you'll see what is on offer (excluding the Lifan Trailblaser and the cheap cbr I've been offered). Would be interested in your opinion.

I'm not sure I'm going to go ahead at the moment.

I love the concept of the RS125, it's something you can actually have fun on...no matter your age...after you've passed your test. The lad next door has had one for the last two years and adores it, commutes to see his girlfriend in Stoke every weekend too.

I know CBRs, they are what they are - a rather insipid bike tarted up to look like something bigger. Check out for damage to the end of the handlebars, the footpegs and any of the plastic/tank. I'd stay clear of something with 10K on the clock in such a short life too; bikes don't run to high mileages like cars (at least, bikes like this don't).

Mark my words, he's pushing you into a CBR because he has five of them sitting on his forecourt and only one RS - he knows he'll sell the RS no problem whereas £1650 for all of the others is asking a bit too much IMO. I think hebangsthedrums got a CBR - try PMing him for ownership info.

A search of CGs turns up 61 of them, and all considerably cheaper than the CBR option...you wouldn't lose a penny! I'd ride it back to your house if you wanted.

I love the concept of the RS125, it's something you can actually have fun on...no matter your age...after you've passed your test. The lad next door has had one for the last two years and adores it, commutes to see his girlfriend in Stoke every weekend too.

I know CBRs, they are what they are - a rather insipid bike tarted up to look like something bigger. Check out for damage to the end of the handlebars, the footpegs and any of the plastic/tank. I'd stay clear of something with 10K on the clock in such a short life too; bikes don't run to high mileages like cars (at least, bikes like this don't).

Mark my words, he's pushing you into a CBR because he has five of them sitting on his forecourt and only one RS - he knows he'll sell the RS no problem whereas £1650 for all of the others is asking a bit too much IMO. I think hebangsthedrums got a CBR - try PMing him for ownership info.

A search of CGs turns up 61 of them, and all considerably cheaper than the CBR option...you wouldn't lose a penny! I'd ride it back to your house if you wanted.

I'm liking the idea of the Cagiva, it looks like a bike you could hang onto after passing your test. Just need to rob a bank or something.

I'm liking the idea of the Cagiva, it looks like a bike you could hang onto after passing your test. Just need to rob a bank or something.

Downside to small Italian steel: it breaks down, the engines are more stressed than the sedate Jap versions.

I say - the CG really is a good deal for passing your test on and then chopping for a decent 33bhp model. Buttons to insure, cheap to buy and possible to make a profit on when you sell.