Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

Motorbikes are brilliant

I manged to pass my cbt without getting killed today and have gone straight out and bought a Honda CBR125 which I will collect on Monday.

Motorbikes are brilliant!

Congrats! I'll be joining you in June - ordering mine next week.

Where did you get it from if you don't mind me asking?

I got my CBR in a private sale, used autotrader to find a bike which was fairly near to me and at a really good price, most of the bike dealers that I went to see wanted a bit too much for their bikes and didn't offer any extras really.

3 days with a bike and I'm already looking for more power, the cbr125 is a nice bike but struggles to make it much past 55mph on country roads which leads to loads of cars trying risky overtakes. Might be bringing forward the DA test so that I could get a bike that keeps out of the traffic.

3 days with a bike and I'm already looking for more power, the cbr125 is a nice bike but struggles to make it much past 55mph on country roads which leads to loads of cars trying risky overtakes. Might be bringing forward the DA test so that I could get a bike that keeps out of the traffic.

You mean you want to upgrade before I start to entertain ideas of motorbiking ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Theory test booked for 17th July and planning to do the practical on 21st and 28th August, then it's all about finding a decent 600cc + bike.

Good luck with the 'Swerve Test' Sir Fynwy;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8067212.stm

The government is under pressure to re-think its new motorcycle test following a series of crashes in the first few weeks of its use.

Some instructors blame a new manoeuvre known as the "swerve test" which they say is dangerous and ill-thought out.

It aims to test riders' skill at avoiding obstacles in the road.

The Driving Standards Agency says it is important for novice riders to carry it out to help reduce the number of motorcyclists killed on the road.

It said the test was designed by professionals in conjunction with the motorcycle industry and 300 trials were carried out before it was brought in.

During the test, learners have to reach 31.2 miles per hour, then perform a swerve, on special test centre tracks.

But some instructors say that if riders brake and swerve at the same time they are likely to come off, particularly in the wet.

The new test was brought in at the end of April and in the first three and a half weeks there were 15 incidents during the exam, with at least one rider left with broken bones.

The Motorcycle Action Group says it has warned the government that the test is unsafe and asked for changes.

Its national chairman, Paul Turner, told the BBC News website the new test had been brought in without enough consultation or consideration for riders.

"We don't mind improvements in the test which will make for better riders, but putting people at risk during the test is ludicrous."

He said the new test had been very poorly implemented as many test centres were not ready, and the number of centres had been reduced from 200 to 60.

Barry Kenward, deputy chairman of the Driving Instructors Democratic Union, has put in a Freedom of Information request to find out how many accidents have occurred on the test so far.

He said: "In the dry the test is fine but the stopping distance is not enough for the stop to be carried out safely when it is wet.

"I have been riding for 30 years and I would not want to do the test they have to do."

So let's kill them before they pass their test!!

Apparently in two years time they're going to introduce the 'riding into a tree at 40mph test' just to make sure that motorcyclists are prepared for any eventuality.

Ludicrous!

Edited by Isle of Wight Fox

Just recently remembered the one scene where cameraman Claudio von Planta's BMW breaks down in the middle of shooting "Long Way Round".

His replacement is the charming iZH Planeta 5:

278.jpg

Sadly, there's no retailer to be found in Continental Europe... :(

How about the swerving the **** who opens his door without looking test. <_< Thankfully I passed and gave the **** some anglo-saxon invective. <_<

Edited by Steven

If you are scared of 2 wheels they are.

I decided to ride no handed on a quad bike while closing my eyes to wipe mud off my face, only to find out I was gonna crash into a tree, I avoided it though

• 2 weeks later...
And how could we forget the dashing Triumph Bonneville SE:

0324-triumph_bonneville_se.jpg

i was daft enough to but the US style version of that heap of scrap

( with the peanut tank and ape hanger bars )

what a twat i was , you could only travel about 50 miles on a full tank

edit ; sorry it was the T140

Edited by Zingari

Guess who's bike decided to dump all the oil from it's bevel box all over the rear wheel today.

Presently, looking at Googlemaps, I am approximately 752 miles from happiness.

:unsure: