Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Teeno

Promotion goals

Just thought Id give a rough guide to what we need to achieve to gain automatic promotion.

I'm going to base this on getting promoted with 90 points. Last time we were promoted we had 92 and finished second. Although Forest finished 2nd with 82 points last season in league 1, had Leeds not had their 15 point deduction they would have been 2nd with 91.

So here it goes:

Point: 90

Goals scored: 80

Goals against: 35

So that’s roughly 2 points a game, 1.74 goals a game and conceding 0.76 goals a game.

After 4 games this is how things are looking: 2.5 points a game, 2.25 goals a game and conceding at a rate of 0.25 goals a game.

We would need to win 26 games during the season, drawing 12 and only losing 8.

This would mean only losing every 5.75 match. Every other game we play will have to be a win. The season is 9 months long meaning need to average 10 points a month.

Our 3 or 4 first choice strikers need to be looking at scoring 40/45 goals between them meaning we need 35/40 goals coming from the rest of the pitch. Last time we were promoted in 02/03 we scored 73 goals in total, 21 of which came from midfield and 11 came from defence. 40 goals were scored between our 4 strikers Dickov, Dean, Benjamin and Wright.

We won 16 games at home drawing 5 and only losing 2. We scored and impressive 40 goals at home and only conceded 12. I think the importance of making the Walkers a fortress again is massive. There's going to be a lot of games like Stockport away where it's going to be very hard to break teams down, so home form is crucial.

Our away form in 02/03 wasn't as impressive as our home form, but showed the importance of picking up a point away from home. We won 10 drew 9 and lost 4. Scoring 33 and conceding 28.

So out of the 92 points we accumulated that season only 39 of them came away from home.

I know this thread is probably a load of bollocks but thought it would be useful to check on how we're getting on throughout the season.

So far so good, but a hell of a long way to go.

Up the City!!!

Just thought Id give a rough guide to what we need to achieve to gain automatic promotion.

I'm going to base this on getting promoted with 90 points. Last time we were promoted we had 92 and finished second. Although Forest finished 2nd with 82 points last season in league 1, had Leeds not had their 15 point deduction they would have been 2nd with 91.

So here it goes:

So that’s roughly 2 points a game, 1.74 goals a game and conceding 0.76 goals a game.

After 4 games this is how things are looking: 2.5 points a game, 2.25 goals a game and conceding at a rate of 0.25 goals a game.

This would mean only losing every 5.75 match. Every other game we play will have to be a win. The season is 9 months long meaning need to average 10 points a month.

Our 3 or 4 first choice strikers need to be looking at scoring 40/45 goals between them meaning we need 35/40 goals coming from the rest of the pitch. Last time we were promoted in 02/03 we scored 73 goals in total, 21 of which came from midfield and 11 came from defence. 40 goals were scored between our 4 strikers Dickov, Dean, Benjamin and Wright.

We won 16 games at home drawing 5 and only losing 2. We scored and impressive 40 goals at home and only conceded 12. I think the importance of making the Walkers a fortress again is massive. There's going to be a lot of games like Stockport away where it's going to be very hard to break teams down, so home form is crucial.

Our away form in 02/03 wasn't as impressive as our home form, but showed the importance of picking up a point away from home. We won 10 drew 9 and lost 4. Scoring 33 and conceding 28.

So out of the 92 points we accumulated that season only 39 of them came away from home.

I know this thread is probably a load of bollocks but thought it would be useful to check on how we're getting on throughout the season.

Up the City!!!

How long did this take?

So here it goes:

Up the City!!!

thats a very good read!

cheers for that! :thumbup:

i was also going to add in (but you already said it) the importance of making the walkers a fortress and certainly having one striker get at least 20 goals this season. for me i think if fryatt can stay confident then hes looking at around 20-25 and howard will get at least 10-15 surely. dickov im not so sure about especially if played right mid but he should chip in as should dj with a couple. i think dyer would do very well to get 10 goals this season as would gradel but not saying they cant do it. depending on our main midfield partenership but hopefully oakley will get a few more as will king (from long range please lol)

i do have to add the importance also of our strength in depth, its fantastic, there are quality players waiting in the wings and are all making their claim to play. weso, adams, even dj. etc

lovin it!

So here it goes:

Up the City!!!

Nice one, a good read :)

10 points from the first month, and 9 goals means we're bang on target so far ;)

So here it goes:

Up the City!!!

It is certainly not a load of bollocks and I've referred to the number of goals we'll need to score and the number of positions we'll need to score them from before.

Thankfully, Pearson seems to be our only managerial appointee who seems to grasp what you're saying and who seems to have set his stall out to achieve the things you mention.

Unlike far too many managers Pearson seems to be as focused onm winning away from home as at home and this can bring huge benefits compared with the "win at home draw away merchants" not least because winning at home is never guaranteed and being negative away often results in narrow defeats.

The way I look at it winning at Cheltenham is like getting three draws. Another win would make it six and you'd then only need nine to amass 27 points or just over a draw per away game average. With 23 away games offering the chance to plunder points anything above that would be a significant bonus.

For me there's never any argument about adopting a positive approach to away games because the potential rewards are huge. Especially with three points for a win.

It is certainly not a load of bollocks and I've referred to the number of goals we'll need to score and the number of positions we'll need to score them from before.

Thankfully, Pearson seems to be our only managerial appointee who seems to grasp what you're saying and who seems to have set his stall out to achieve the things you mention.

Unlike far too many managers Pearson seems to be as focused onm winning away from home as at home and this can bring huge benefits compared with the "win at home draw away merchants" not least because winning at home is never guaranteed and being negative away often results in narrow defeats.

The way I look at it winning at Cheltenham is like getting three draws. Another win would make it six and you'd then only need nine to amass 27 points or just over a draw per away game average. With 23 away games offering the chance to plunder points anything above that would be a significant bonus.

For me there's never any argument about adopting a positive approach to away games because the potential rewards are huge. Especially with three points for a win.

Agreed.

I think for any succesful promotion campaign you have to aim win around about 2/3 of your home games. I don't agree with playing for a point, and don't for one second think that Pearson will go into any game with that attitude.

As in 02/03 it is going to be a lot harder to pick points up away from home as we found at Stockport. I think if we can make the Walkers into a fortress again as we did then, then 35 points away from home would be enough. meaning something like 9 wins 8 draws.

• 4 months later...

So here it goes:

Up the City!!!

Just remebered doing this.

We're averaging 2.28 points a game, have scored 1.92 goals a game and conceded 0.76 goals a game. Our strikers have bagged 26 goals between them and 22 have come from the rest of the field.

After years of crap at the walkers, we have now won 10, drew 2, lost one. Scoring 25 and only conceding 7.

Only Mk dons have scored more than us (only 3 more) and we have the best goals against record ( 7 less than anyone else). We have the best points per game record in all 4 divisions, and only Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool have conceded less goals per game.

Really didn't think we would be doing this well.

But fair play to Nigel and co :thumbup:

Archived