Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Knighton Matt

first leeds now qpr...

Power defends QPR price hike

Queens Park Rangers face anger from supporters over plans to increase season ticket prices by almost 50%.

Chairman Bill Power insists the massive rise is needed to avoid another financial crisis at Loftus Road.

He said: "We're doing this with a heavy heart. It's a big increase but we've done the sums and there's no other way.

"We'll use the money to carry on paying debts and try and push for promotion, which we honestly think we can achieve next season."

The Championship club must find £80,000 a month simply to keep paying off the interest on a £10m loan it took out to satisfy creditors and come out of administration in 2002.

"It's tough," Power admitted.

"We're on top of it but we need to put season ticket prices up to stay on top of it and move forward.

"The previous board didn't want to put prices up and then, in the middle of the season, the cash ran out and fans were putting money in buckets to keep the club afloat.

"There will be no going back to those days. We desperately need the season ticket money and promise supporters that this time it will be for the season."

But Paul Finney of the QPR Loyal Supporters Association warned: "I fear some fans just won't stand for this.

"We sold a record number of season tickets when we were in our darkest hour in the Second Division and a lot of people will feel this is a kick in the teeth.

"There's a lot of goodwill between the fans and the club that's going to be lost now.

"Many fans who've stuck by QPR through thick and thin just won't be able to afford to go.

"It just doesn't seem fair and I hope the club think again."

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...qpr/4440335.stm

seems like lots of clubs are being forced into this because of their finances maybe we should be thankful leicester havn't followed suit! question is how long before fans can't take anymore and start voting with their feet?

When clubs are working out their finances, do they ever consider what the effect of lowering prices, and getting more 'bums on seats' would have?

When clubs are working out their finances, do they ever consider what the effect of lowering prices, and getting more 'bums on seats' would have?

92225[/snapback]

Exactly, I can never understand why companies increase prices, because increase of prices sometimes forces people away, if they were lower they'd have more support (which surly isn't a bad thing?) and they could still make a profit!

92225[/snapback]

Exactly, I can never understand why companies increase prices, because increase of prices sometimes forces people away, if they were lower they'd have more support (which surly isn't a bad thing?) and they could still make a profit!

92448[/snapback]

It's all about clearing the market and finding the equilibrium point :thumbup:

That's what I learnt from doing AS level Economics and Business Studies anyway.

In these calculations of lower prices = increased demand ("more bums on seats"), you forget about the increasing input costs that result.

More people at a match means increased factors of production, e.g. more stewards, more police, more cleaners, etc. Therefore, profits can be higher from having half-full stadiums at higher prices.

To be fair to QPR, they are against a rock and a hard place. If they raise tickets, their fans complain, if they don't, they are unable to pay back their loans and will have another administration crisis. There only possible hope is to be able to sell a player for a tidy profit.

Maybe this is me being cynical but both Leeds and QPR are that desperate for money they are ripping the fans off for season tickets, they both also have a suspicously massive entry total in the Coca-Cola win a player competition <_<

Coincidence?

Archived