Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Samilktray

#5 - Samilktray.

Here it is then ladies and gentlemen...

1.) Promise Land - Malik Yusef & Kanye West Featuring Adam Levine.

2.) Been Through The Storm - Busta Rhymes Featuring Stevie Wonder.

3.) The Instrumental - Lupe Fiasco.

4.) The Game - Common Featuring DJ Premier.

5.) The Champ - Ghostface Killah.

6.) The World Is Yours - Nas.

7.) Criminal - The Roots Featuring Saigon & Truck North.

8.) Shook Ones Part 2 - Mobb Deep.

9.) Queens Get The Money - Nas.

10.) We Major - Kanye West Featuring Nas & Really Doe.

11.) You Cant Hold A Torch - Busta Rhymes Featuring Q-Tip.

12.) Chinese New Year - The Clipse.

13.) The Perfect Beat - Talib Kweli Featuring KRS-One.

14.) Spur Of The Moment - Ludacris Featuring DJ Quik.

15.) Tie My Hands - Lil Wayne Featuring Robin Thicke.

16.) Warning - The Notorious B.I.G.

17.) Fever - Rhymefest.

18.) The Heart Gently Weeps - Wu-Tang Clan Featuring Erykah Badu.

Ive tried my best to show people that mainstream HipHop artists arent as generic as they first seem with this mix, my main motivation behind this mix was obviously for people to enjoy it regardless. Ive tried to incorporate conscious, feel good and more aggresive tracks in there so hopefully theres at least 1 or 2 tracks that those who download it will enjoy. Id also prefer it if you listened to it in that order as I've listened to it like that and think its flows through to the best of my ability.

DOWNLOAD LINK.

A certain member of this forum (who shall remain nameless!) :shutup: just sent me a PM with the subject line: samilktray review...

Interesting - that was quick, I thought to myself...

1. :sick: 2. :sick: 3. :sick: 4. :sick:5. :sick: 6. :sick: 7. :sick: 8. :sick: 9. :sick: 10. :sick: 11. :sick: 12. :sick: ...

:blush:

*splutters* :giggle:

I fear for you Samilktray, the hip-hop on my mix has got killed so far. Anyway, here goes...

Tell you what, if they re-edit it and cut out Kanye West and the Maroon goon, I'd love it. Those two really **** me off though, especially Kanye. A girl in my year at uni gave that Maroon 5 goon a blowjob apparently. I don't really know the background behind that story but it's all I know about him apart from the fact his band are shit and he helps that overrated chancer ruin this song. I liked the start.

Hey, fantastic. I hope people give this mix a chance. Busta Rhymes' delivery is hypnotic. This sort of thing is right up my street and it rings a bell from when it was released but passed me by a bit. Stevie's vocal delivery isn't the greatest on this though and there's a bit of an embarrassing warble at the end.

You've nailed this so far. Superb. A name I've seen a lot of but never bothered with him. Saw him on the TV coverage of Glastonbury and thought it was rubbish. Premature judgment if this is his usual standard. The atmospherics here are brilliant.

Never been that fussed about Common. He's always lumped in with J5 and The Roots but I don't think he's on the same level personally. Having said that, this is good. I love the beat. Could have done with a bit more variation possibly.

Been craving this kind of thing ever since Yoda put Tika Toc by Skibadee on his Fabriclive. Music that sounds like an event, you can picture clubs going off when you hear horns like this on a track.

Love this throwback old-skool stuff. Could be one of the more laidback things on an ATCQ album. Illmatic's one of the classics alongside the Blueprint but have never actually owned either of them, need to put right a lot of wrongs.

Think this album is really underrated. It's all about Get Busy though surely!! Black Thought is on another level (no, Dane!!) to most rappers IMO.

Not as fussed about this.

Again, not as fussed. Like the backing.

Well, I've got halfway. Got to go out for five-a-side now, will do the rest tomorrow night hopefully. Loving it so far.

17.) Fever - Rhymefest.

I savoured the first note of this, as it sounded identical to the first note of I Wish by Skee-Lo. What a tune that was. This is shaping up quite nicely so far but I am worrying about the prospect of... oh, here he is. Lumbering across the track with that ridiculous accent. He never sounds like he's making an effort. I really do hate him. I can't take seven and a half minutes of him to be honest. Sorry, blinded by personal dislike.

Two legends. This is alright but nowhere near their best, either of them.

Bit repetitive. I can feel my reviewing enthusiasm waning but the music's not bad, I think I'm just tired.

Again, not enough variation!!

Much better!! Nice and laidback. I've only got Word of Mouf. I remember when I first heard Area Codes, I thought it was brilliant. The abominable ho-man!!

Produced by Kanye West eh?? Haha, only kidding. This is alright actually, good background music. Liking the "chilled-out vibes", as I believe they would have been called about 15 years ago, of the last 2 tracks.

Enjoying it. That godawful Puff Daddy & Faith Evans song completely destroyed any chance that I would listen to the Notorious BIG, back when I was a complete indie kid who just dipped into the occasional bit of hip-hop. Might have to check him out though, see if he's playing live in the UK anywhere soon. :giggle: Seriously though, pretty good this.

17.) Fever - Rhymefest.

Enjoying this too, great beat. Yep, liked it.

I don't think this really lives up to what it could or should be. Seems like everyone involved is going through the motions a bit. Doesn't grab me.

------

Overall: Good stuff, a bit patchy in places for my liking but a hell of a lot of absolute gems that I will be playing a lot, especially that Lupe Fiasco track. Very solid effort.

Love this throwback old-skool stuff. Could be one of the more laidback things on an ATCQ album. Illmatic's one of the classics alongside the Blueprint but have never actually owned either of them, need to put right a lot of wrongs.

Illmatic cd is £2.99 delivered on Play.com for that price you really can't go wrong!!!

Cheers for the review Fez, I didnt think you'd take to the Kanye but glad there was bits you liked in it.

Now wheres everyone else's!

:angry:

I've not had a chance to read many of your reviews yet Sam? :unsure:>_<:P

This starts off really well for the first 1.34 it’s excellent I guess that is the Malik Yusef bit really enjoyed that I know you mentioned him before so will delve a bit deeper, after that it starts to go a bit well errr crap was reaching for the skip button towards the end luckily it’s a short song so JUST managed to avoid the indignity of being skipped.

Many many years ago I purchased a Busta Rhymes album and thought it was a big pile of Turd, his voice and style just didn’t sit well with me for some reason BUT this song is really really good.

I enjoyed this for some reason I have never bothered checking him out upload the album for us mate!!! fancy listening to a bit more of this.

I love common some of his first few albums are just brilliant while this doesn’t come across as one of his strongest songs I love the Be album

Early Wu Tang is just brilliant but some of the solo efforts have been a little ordinary/terrible to say the least but this is ok your mix is going well so far

Illmatic is a classic album from the 90’s every track is really strong and this is a great example.

Love the live drum sound on this still winning in my book!!

Oh no… we seem to have hit the difficult middle section this is boring can’t cope with 5.23 minutes of this shall I… yep NEXT sorry skipped this one

I like Nas the lyrical flow on this is excellent very good

My initial thoughts on this may have been hindered by Fez’s proclamation that this was like 3hrs long or something, don’t like this at all you are upto 2 SKIPS now!!

This is just boring to be fair can’t be bothered with it doesn’t sound like a song just something they had to do in a way another NEXT song

oh dear the middle section is really starting to struggle now this is another NEXT song but WOOP WOOP it’s the sound of da police it’s KRS One up next…

Will save that for Part 2 later on today/ this evening hoping it starts to pick up a little

Part 2

would have much rather you chose something like I try off the beautiful struggle but this is ok

No not me this one I am afraid heard it all before nothing stands out

No No No not for me

not for me

17.) Fever - Rhymefest.

this ones ok actually

The first couple of Wu Tang albums were excellent Triumph of Wu Tang Forever is just brilliant and enter the Wu Tang is a classic I do like this song though after a few shaky moments in the middle it's a nice way to end!!

I have always said that if you take just a couple of things off each mix album that you enjoy, look into further and listen to them again then they have done what they intended and I will be looking into a few more things off this.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for this, boops here we go....

Unlike some people on this forum, I like Kanye. This isn't too bad at all, without being immediately outstanding. Nice.

Busta and Stevie, what could be not to like I ask myself? And then I worry... it's not very catchy, it's a little rap-by-numbers. Not bad, but not good for all that.

As above without the Stevie Wonder/Busta Rhymes saving grace.

This could be a grower, nice funky backbeat - though I get the feeling I've heard this before.

Ooh, that was fun - me like> Fun withoiut being spectacular, added to my playlist!

This may surprise some, but I nearly bought Illmatic somewhile back having heard one Nas track. This wasn't it. It's probably one of the ones that ma=de me decide not to after a sample listen.

Fun keh dun keh

Yeah, u well hard :rolleyes:

See 6

I have this - fine tune off Late Registration, which is one of the best albums this century. Fact!

Bleh.

Awful - truly. Brap-brap-ca-ca-cack. Yeah, lets all pretend to have SMGs. :rolleyes:

No no no no

So, you're "not a homo". Who cares? Duff.

Lil Wayne (cousin of our own Lil Dave) is supposed to be the saviour of hip-hop, right? This obviously is some new meaning of the word saviour that I was previously unaware of. Hate his current single (haven't heard anything so ridiculous in many a moon - it IS a comedy song right?) and this is only slightly better. Back to kindergarten Wayne.

A song about guns. What goes around comes around.

17.) Fever - Rhymefest.

This was originally a song about love, not hate. :thumbdown:

Interesting reworking of My Guitar Gently Weeps, except for the bits with the clan in. Then it's their usual, we are super tough crap.

________________________________________________________________________________

Well one or 2 tracks to enjoy thanks Milk Tray and thats enough for me. Ta for the mix. :thumbup:

No go review some :whistle:

Mark's mix next... should be less rap, more ambient.

Archived