Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Monk

The Photography Thread

I had a go at photographing the Milky Way very early this morning from a place called Afton Down on the south of the island where there is very little light pollution. Amazing to see, even with the naked eye.

CRW_3741b.jpg

CRW_3717b.jpg

Lovely, what sort of camera and settings? i ask because I live on islands at the opposite end of the country and was thinking of doing the same sort of thing to see if it looked different. We have one island here (North Ronaldsay) that is going for Dark Skies Status soon.

You're getting around a bit.

Lovely pics as usual :thumbup:

Thanks mate. Only went there for a day and a half and had to get some night shots along the pier. :)

Off to Filey near Whitby next week from Monday to Friday so hopefully more shots to come. 

Lovely, what sort of camera and settings? i ask because I live on islands at the opposite end of the country and was thinking of doing the same sort of thing to see if it looked different. We have one island here (North Ronaldsay) that is going for Dark Skies Status soon.

Thanks Orkneyfox. I bet you have some amazing night skies where you are.

My equipment is very budget basement. A Canon EOS 300D with a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens. I had the ISO at 1600, aperture at 1.8 and the shutter was on a remote for 15 seconds. I had to raise the light levels in Photoshop Elements to be able to see the colours.

I went again on Tuesday night and got some pics with meteors crossing the Milky Way - I'll put a couple up soon.

Also got 'the light signal' from some doggers but they soon legged it when I got my tripod out  lol

• Like 1

Thanks.

Excuse my ignorance but would that be classed as an ultra wide angle lens?

The Sigma I have now is the widest angle lens I have ever used and when I typed in "Ulta Wide Angle" lenses into Amazon, my lens came up, so mine I guess. lol

Thanks Orkneyfox. I bet you have some amazing night skies where you are.

My equipment is very budget basement. A Canon EOS 300D with a 50mm f/1.8 prime lens. I had the ISO at 1600, aperture at 1.8 and the shutter was on a remote for 15 seconds. I had to raise the light levels in Photoshop Elements to be able to see the colours.

I went again on Tuesday night and got some pics with meteors crossing the Milky Way - I'll put a couple up soon.

Also got 'the light signal' from some doggers but they soon legged it when I got my tripod out  lol

Thanks IoW I guess  you had too low an exposure setting for the doggers!