Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Deathside

I saw this and I thought of you

Nice pics, they should've kept part of the ground rather than knocking it all down, even if it was just the main entrance and sign as it had alot of memories for people. The atmosphere at Filbo was great, i sat in the family stand and you could hear the kop for most of the game.

What bit of the Family Stand did you sit in?

What bit of the Family Stand did you sit in?

To the right of the stand (if you were in the stand looking onto the pitch), i think 3 or 4 rows from the front (would have to find season ticket to be sure), lovely orange seats.

To the right of the stand (if you were in the stand looking onto the pitch), i think 3 or 4 rows from the front (would have to find season ticket to be sure), lovely orange seats.

I was directly behind the goal, in the fourth row for the last three years of the old place.

I loved those seats, but I couldn't take mine with me :(

I was directly behind the goal, in the fourth row for the last three years of the old place.

I loved those seats, but I couldn't take mine with me :(

I know it was the family stand and all, but it was great. I was quite near the girl who had the Wales flag for Robbie Savage, she sat in the front row. I was about 15 seats from the right end of the stand. It was about 3 yrs i sat there for aswell, before that we were in the east stand or kop or stood in the lower tier of the west stand, loved those days. Did you go the Arsenal game with the goals being scored in injury time? Wot a game

I know it was the family stand and all, but it was great. I was quite near the girl who had the Wales flag for Robbie Savage, she sat at the front row. I was about 15 seats from the right end of the stand. It was about 3 yrs i sat there for aswell, before that we were in the east stand or kop or stood at the lower tier of the west stand, loved those days. Did you go the Arsenal game with the goals being scored in injury time?

Yes, I was in the Lower Kop then. Absolutely loved it.

Before it was torn down they flogged as much crap as they could from the ground. Prior to that they had an open day where people could see what they wanted to buy.

At the auction my old man bought the (ripped) carpet from the board room, but my mum won't let him put it anywhere in the house. But the best bit was at the open day, they didn't lock anything up properly so he walked out with a load of paperwork from a couple of filing cabinets. He's got scouting reports (Viduka unsurprisingly referred to as fat and lazy) and reserve team sheets from the majority of the games.

Quality tat!!

Can we just give the nostalgia a rest. The place was knocked down 6 years ago time to move on.

Personally I glad that 10% of the pitch isn't hidden by a concrete post, I'm glad that water doesn't drip on my head when it rains and I'm glad I don't have to queue for ten minutes for a p1ss.

If we have any ambition to be successful in the premier league then we are going to need the revenue generated by a 32,000 seater stadium.

Can we just give the nostalgia a rest. The place was knocked down 6 years ago time to move on.

Personally I glad that 10% of the pitch isn't hidden by a concrete post, I'm glad that water doesn't drip on my head when it rains and I'm glad I don't have to queue for ten minutes for a p1ss.

If we have any ambition to be successful in the premier league then we are going to need the revenue generated by a 32,000 seater stadium.

what like portsmouth! the walkers has so far give us nothing but shite, (not including this season) but hey it is league 1 were we can play shite and still win! i would move back to filbo anyday of the week.

That's all very well but to be honest I'd rather watch us play Crewe at Filbert Street than Middleborough at the Walkers. Football is about enjoying yourself at when you go to games. No matter what's on the pitch it's very hard to get excited about it in almost complete silence.

That's all very well but to be honest I'd rather watch us play Crewe at Filbert Street than Middleborough at the Walkers. Football is about enjoying yourself at when you go to games. No matter what's on the pitch it's very hard to get excited about it in almost complete silence.

:chant:

what like portsmouth! the walkers has so far give us nothing but shite, (not including this season) but hey it is league 1 were we can play shite and still win! i would move back to filbo anyday of the week.

Hate to be the one to break it to you pal but it isn't there anymore.

The bottom line is in the long run it's the best option to move. If we'd had half decent players / managers in recent years the stadium would be irrelevant. Portsmouth success isn't down to Fratton Park. If we had stayed in the Premier League we'd be losing capital in that we wouldn't be able to fit all our fans in the ground. You have to think of the long term advantages.

Hate to be the one to break it to you pal but it isn't there anymore.

The bottom line is in the long run it's the best option to move. If we'd had half decent players / managers in recent years the stadium would be irrelevant. Portsmouth success isn't down to Fratton Park. If we had stayed in the Premier League we'd be losing capital in that we wouldn't be able to fit all our fans in the ground. You have to think of the long term advantages.

Yes but it's possible to enlarge a ground's capacity/build a new, bigger one without creating a sterile, souless shit bowl where the only noise comes from a section of 400 fans or the old boy behind you constatntly complaining that Howard is a donkey.

That is exactly what its all about though isn't it?

I was fortunate enough to have been brought up as a kid by my Dad in SK1 throughout the O'Neill era, and the reason i love this club so much today, is because every time i see a team in our kit, i remember him saying 'You don't know how lucky you are. . '

I'd never change Filbert Street for anything, i'm only 19, but that was proper football. Before all of this commericalised, Chelsea Dagger shite at the Walkers.

Muzzy's volley to beat Spurs 2-1, or Walshy's late equaliser against Arsenal to make it 3-3, or Tony James keeping us up against Oxford, which was slightly before my time, or any other memory that i have from that horrible little place, was steeped in the most successful era in our history.

The only game I wasn't in the Kop I was sat in the main stand quite near the tunnel at bottom and guess what happened right in front of me?

Alan Shearer kicked Neil Lennon in the face (in self defence). Only time I ever sat there and I witnessed that bit of history close up. How I wanted to suplex Shearer but had self restraint!

I would rather play at filbo any day. Crowd size doesn't matter to me, It's the atmosphere. We were a real Premier League force at that place. With the right manager of course.

I would rather play at filbo any day. Crowd size doesn't matter to me, It's the atmosphere. We were a real Premier League force at that place. With the right manager of course.

And there's no reason we can't be a Premier League force at the Way, with the right manager!

Absolutely. :thumbup:

I hate the manner in which nostalgia for Filbo all too often goes hand in hand with snobbery and elitism.

Some of our crowds this season have been bigger than any we had during the MON years.

That shows just how much the old slum held us back.

Archived