Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stuliasz

Palace Award Goes To Howard

Crystal Palace 2-1 Leicester City

14 January 2009

City targetman Steve Howard took home his fourth man of the match award of the season after being voted City's best performer in the 2-1 defeat away at palace. Substitute Ashley Chambers was actually voted higher than Howard but did not play long enough in the game to be eligible for the award. Centre back pairing Michael Morrison and Jack Hobbs were the other two players who played long enough and well enough to be considered for the title.

Veteran striker Paul Dickov failed to impress the fans with a dire rating of 3.89, whilst usual top performer Matt Oakley had a major blip in his form coming in second behind Dickov for the flop of the match award. Marc Edworthy also failed to impress against his former club rounding off the bottom three.

Full results below:

Player Awards:

Man of the Match: Steve Howard – 6.44

Flop of the Match: Paul Dickov – 3.89

Best Defender: Michael Morrison – 6.19

Best Midfielder: Max Gradel – 5.85

Best Striker: Steve Howard – 6.44

Full Ratings:

1. Ashley Chambers – 6.70

2. Steve Howard – 6.44

3. Michael Morrison – 6.19

4. Jack Hobbs / Aleksandar Tunchev – 6.08

6. David Martin – 5.89

7. Max Gradel – 5.85

8. Joe Mattock – 5.70

9. Kerrea Gilbert – 5.59

10. Bruno Berner – 5.33

11. Andy King – 5.15

12. Marc Edworthy – 5.11

13. Matt Oakley – 4.52

14. Paul Dickov – 3.89

Voter Awards:

Top/Fairest Voters: C-man / Eggs66

Most Generous Voter: 1st – clazkel / act smiley – 6.36; 2nd – Eestendfox – 6.21; 3rd – Epsom fox – 6.07

Harshest Voter: 1st – beaumontfox – 4.00; 2nd – camberwell fox – 4.57; 3rd – darth vodka – 4.64

(Anonymous voters are not included in the voter awards)

Total Votes: 27

Thanks to everyone who voted. Sorry these are a bit late - voting will open shortly after the Yeovil game tomorrow.

Gradel played better then that!

:laugh:

Gradel looked way out of touch to me, failed in a lot of attempts to beat his man. Only a couple of decent crosses as well and his goal counts for nothing. Would certainly like to see him start a couple more games though.

Gradel looked way out of touch to me, failed in a lot of attempts to beat his man. Only a couple of decent crosses as well and his goal counts for nothing. Would certainly like to see him start a couple more games though.

give him a run in the team and he will come good

I sometimes think fans will never quite get it with Gradel.

Gradel will always make mistakes as will every winger like him.

His function is risky by definition. Instead of being an Andy King type whose fundamental aim is to retain possession and redistribute the ball quickly before he is challenged and without the risk of taking people on, Gradel's purpose is to disrupt organised defences in every way he can think of to try to create or score a goal.

If he simply aimed to retain possession Gradel could do that far easier than most with his skills. But he doesn't, he puts his reputation on the line and keeps trying to make things happen again and again.

He has been successful enough so far to top our assists table even after playing a fraction of the minutes some people have played and his goal against Palace counted just as much as any other and was especially important in being his first and therefore a potential confidence builder.

Had Davies or Cleverley scored in the dying embers of a game I'm quite sure it wouldn't have been dismissed as "nothing".

Indeed Chelsea even showed that it is quite possible to score twice in the closing seconds which would have saved the game. I don't know how anyone can argue against a goal scored in the last minute any more than the first or any more than a penalty or a brilliant 50-yard screamer.

The great thing about Gradel is NOT the times he loses the ball or makes a bad cross, but the fact that he never gives up trying and so often makes something happen in the end.

Thankfully that is something our management at least seem to appreciate, hence what is an extremely long contract for one so young.

Gradel is still adapting to the defensive responsibilities of being a modern day winger - and has made considerable progress in that direction for one who never had a naturally defensive mindset at all.

He seems prepared to learn and, in time., you and others will see that he's the only member of our current first team squad (not counting loanees) who has any great chance of retaining his place in a Premiership side in time.

I even doubt that Kingy can progress that far with his lack of pace, though, as always, I hope he and others prove me wrong.

PS: Pleased for Howard. The man has been immense lately. Consistent, committed and in general, a handful to all his opponents.

I sometimes think fans will never quite get it with Gradel.

Gradel will always make mistakes as will every winger like him.

His function is risky by definition. Instead of being an Andy King type whose fundamental aim is to retain possession and redistribute the ball quickly before he is challenged and without the risk of taking people on, Gradel's purpose is to disrupt organised defences in every way he can think of to try to create or score a goal.

If he simply aimed to retain possession Gradel could do that far easier than most with his skills. But he doesn't, he puts his reputation on the line and keeps trying to make things happen again and again.

He has been successful enough so far to top our assists table even after playing a fraction of the minutes some people have played and his goal against Palace counted just as much as any other and was especially important in being his first and therefore a potential confidence builder.

Had Davies or Cleverley scored in the dying embers of a game I'm quite sure it wouldn't have been dismissed as "nothing".

Indeed Chelsea even showed that it is quite possible to score twice in the closing seconds which would have saved the game. I don't know how anyone can argue against a goal scored in the last minute any more than the first or any more than a penalty or a brilliant 50-yard screamer.

The great thing about Gradel is NOT the times he loses the ball or makes a bad cross, but the fact that he never gives up trying and so often makes something happen in the end.

Thankfully that is something our management at least seem to appreciate, hence what is an extremely long contract for one so young.

Gradel is still adapting to the defensive responsibilities of being a modern day winger - and has made considerable progress in that direction for one who never had a naturally defensive mindset at all.

He seems prepared to learn and, in time., you and others will see that he's the only member of our current first team squad (not counting loanees) who has any great chance of retaining his place in a Premiership side in time.

I even doubt that Kingy can progress that far with his lack of pace, though, as always, I hope he and others prove me wrong.

I realise what he is there to do, but we the fact was Thrac we created very little genuine openings anywhere on the pitch when Gradel was involved really.

His crossing wasn't good enough and you can tell he's not played football in a long time as he was forever getting the ball stuck under his feet. If that's constitutes a man of the match performance for you, then fine.

I realise what he is there to do, but we the fact was Thrac we created very little genuine openings anywhere on the pitch when Gradel was involved really.

His crossing wasn't good enough and you can tell he's not played football in a long time as he was forever getting the ball stuck under his feet. If that's constitutes a man of the match performance for you, then fine.

But he wasn't deemed to be Man of the Match, only best man in our midfield and, with Oakley/Berner/King being ordinary at best according to most fans, I'd say the fact that Gradel kept chipping away and finally scored a goal would have been enough to elevate him to the level of best midfielder quite easily, even if he was best of an indifferent bunch.

I didn't see the game as you know but I saw his goal and thought it cleverly taken, and a far better effort than Oakley's just before! Cos that was a seriously bad miss for a seasoned professional.

Well done to Super Steve.

Obviously Monday will be the first time we're on sky this season. Maybe there would be a point to having a different competition for those who stay at home and watch it on TV and for those who actually go. It would be interesting to see the difference in opinions?

Just an idea :thumbup:

But he wasn't deemed to be Man of the Match, only best man in our midfield and, with Oakley/Berner/King being ordinary at best according to most fans, I'd say the fact that Gradel kept chipping away and finally scored a goal would have been enough to elevate him to the level of best midfielder quite easily, even if he was best of an indifferent bunch.

asoned professional.

He is best of all the midfielders up there, surely that's about right?

Archived