Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Libertine's Thingy

Right, erm. Don't particularly expect rave reviews, least of all from people like Mark or Finners. :P It's all pretty straightforward though, nothing too out there, but also not extremely 'mainstream' or whathaveye. Like I said, if I get one person really liking just one song I'll be happy. :thumbup:

DOWNLOAD

Be gentle. :giggle:

Why won't I like it? :o

I was expecting big things from yours! Besides, I'm generally a pretty gentle critic - read my review of Flynny's! I was nice! And Mark whinges about everything if there's lyrics in more than half of the tracks. ;)

I'll download this tomorrow.

Why won't I like it? :o

I was expecting big things from yours! Besides, I'm generally a pretty gentle critic - read my review of Flynny's! I was nice! And Mark whinges about everything if there's lyrics in more than half of the tracks. ;)

I'll download this tomorrow.

I didn't mean you'll dislike it necessarily. Just not getting my hopes up. :P

Coolio. Tell you what, I'll do what Flynny did to make t'easier for y'all.

--------------------------

1. Silversun Pickups - There's No Secrets This Year /10

2. Weezer - Tired of Sex /10

3. Salem Al Fakir - It's Only You (Part II) /10

4. The Jesus & Mary Chain - Down On Me /10

5. Dinosaur Jr. - Almost Ready /10

6. Ramones - Any Way You Want It /10

7. The Rentals - Please Let That Be You /10

8. Colin Hay - Beautiful World /10

9. QotSA - .... Millionaire /10

10. The Subways - Obsession /10

11. Buckethead- Jordan /10

12. Buckethead - Big D's Touch /10

13. Pixies - Allison /10

14. John Frusciante - Omission /10

15. Willy Mason - Oxygen /10

16. Titus Andronicus - Titus Andronicus /10

Someone hurry up and do your review dagnabbit.

Shush, downloading it now and besides, got 2 reviews to do before yours :cry:

But as I already own these... (in fact, I've seen both live - Pixies my favourite gig EVER!)

13. Pixies - Allison 10/10 Not the greatest Pixies song ever, but still 10/10, which just shows the magnificence of Mr Black and co.

15. Willy Mason - Oxygen 9/10 - Fantastic song from an otherwise so-so album.

There. Well it's a start! :P

Shush, downloading it now and besides, got 2 reviews to do before yours :cry:

But as I already own these... (in fact, I've seen both live - Pixies my favourite gig EVER!)

13. Pixies - Allison 10/10 Not the greatest Pixies song ever, but still 10/10, which just shows the magnificence of Mr Black and co.

15. Willy Mason - Oxygen 9/10 - Fantastic song from and otherwise so-so album.

There. Well it's a start! :P

Haha, nice. :D

Just grabbed this, and this will be my 1st review in this section. I'll write my thoughts out tomorrow as im having a lazy day mopping about.

I've listened to the 1st couple of tunes afew times already and its started well enough.

Lib - can't download it until I've got my broadband sorted - my mobile internet won't cope - but I will.... looking forward to it, as much of it is new to me. And then I'll review it, I promise. You'll just have to be patient. :P

1. Silversun Pickups - There's no secrets this year.

Great start. Like this song, sort of thing I'd sing to. Easy to listen to and definately my kind of song. Copy, send to My Music. 9/10

2. Weezer - Tired of Sex

Has a really good tune to this, again the sort of thing I'd listen to. 8/10

3. Salem Al Fakir - Only You (Part II)

Yes! Yes! Yes! It's from that advert and instantly when I heard it wanted to download it, but always struggled to a) find the name of the song and b) get it. Thanks a lot for this. Brilliant song. Love it. This has made me quite happy actually :D. Definite 10/10.x

4. The Jesus and Mary Chain - Down on me

Not bad, but not as much of a brilliant stand out tune for me. Still worth a listen now and again though. 7/10.

5. Dinosaur Jr - Almost Ready

Again not bad, quite a lively tune and I quite enjoyed it. Like the use of guitar as well. 7/10

6. Ramones - Any way you want it

Short and sweet. Was quite nice. Couldn't help but tap my foot to this. 7/10

7. The Rentals - Please Let That Be You

The tune is absolute magic, especially during the chorus. Again, sort of thing I'd listen to normally and I quite enjoyed this. 9/10

8. Colin Hay - Beautiful World

Love this song, meaningful lyrics and songs like this have a sort of have an effect where they draw me to it and I can't help but listen really intently to it, whereas on some other songs it's sort of just on in the background. Pretty sure this made an appearance on Scrubs at some point (thinking 1st series) and most of the stuff that they use on Scrubs is fantastic anyway. 9/10

9. Queens of the Stone Age - You think I ain't worth a dollar, but I feel like a millionaire.

The 45 second Intro was a bit annoying, doesn't do anything for me at all. At times a bit screamo for me at times. I think I would have loved this song 2 years ago when I listened to MCR, POTD etc. regularly. At the moment though, not keen. 5/10

10. The Subways - Obsession

Again, a good song - easy to listen to and something I think would grow even more on me. Will check out some other subways stuff as well :)7/10

11. Buckethead- Jordan

Normally a lack of lyrics would annoy me, but I had to admire the brilliance of the music. Absolutely amazing at times. Vocals would have probably spoiled it. 8/10.

12. Buckethead - Big D's Touch

I think this song could have had vocals in truth and have been better because of it, really like the tune though, quite relaxing...although a bit dangerous when I'm partly tired and felt it could put me to sleep :P A bit entrancing even, still deserving of quite a high score. 8/10

13. Pixies - Allison

Woah, very short. Decent song but nothing spectacular, can be quite catchy when you listen again :)6/10

14. John Frusciante - Omission

Decent song this, but didn't do too much for me. Probably a grower. 6/10

15. Willy Mason - Oxygen

Like the lyrics of this, really good. The vocalist is good as well, I like his voice. 7/10

16. Titus Andronicus - Titus Andronicus

Think I'd find this a bit better if I wasn't listening to it tired at half 1...was a bit loud. :P Found the lyrics at the end a bit annoying:ermm: lol ...5/10

17. Flight of the Conchords - Robots Live

lol This was absolute craziness. Kind of like it though, a bit different, but probably wouldn't ever appear on my most played 5/10

Libertine, loved pretty much all of that, shown in none of the songs falling below 5/10. I really enjoyed listening to that. Think some of them will be growers as well.

Thankyou :).

1. Silversun Pickups - There's no secrets this year.

Yeah I quite like the fuzzy bass rolling through the track but as a song this really, really isn't my thing. The vocals do my head in, it doesn't go anywhere and it sounds like something off Dawson's Creek. 3

2. Weezer - Tired of Sex

Again not my thing but it's a better song than the first one. I used to get drunk when I was 15 and listen to Weezer. I'm not saying that's the target audience for this sort of music but it's kind of how associate this sound. 4

3. Salem Al Fakir - Only You (Part II)

I like this more. The vocals are a tad annoying but the song flows well. Ok. 6

4. The Jesus and Mary Chain - Down on me

If you ever did like me you probably won't by the end of this mix. I don't like this. It's just too generic sounding. Too much guitar. Ok, so it's listenable but it just doesn't strike a chord with me and again the vocals just bother me. 4

5. Dinosaur Jr - Almost Ready

Sorry. I didn't like this either. I just don't see what makes this stand out. I swear I've heard the same song sung by hundreds of other bands. 3

6. Ramones - Any way you want it

I may be wrong but to me this sounds very similar to the last track. Nothing to really distinguish it. Sounds like a million other songs and it grates. 3

7. The Rentals - Please Let That Be You

More interesting than the last two but not something I would ever listen to. 4

8. Colin Hay - Beautiful World

Thank fuck for that. I really enjoyed this tune. You know what, I'd happily listen to all the tunes before this again to get to this one. 7

9. Queens of the Stone Age - You think I ain't worth a dollar, but I feel like a millionaire.

My housemate at uni used to listen to these loads. Never really got it and still don't. It's that screamy type voice that does it. 4

10. The Subways - Obsession

Not my thing. 4

11. Buckethead- Jordan

Quite enjoyed this. Nice name as well. And no vocals which makes a pleasant change (!). 6

12. Buckethead - Big D's Touch

Liking this a lot as well. More than the last tune. Chilled, no vocals spoiling matters, nice beat - I will definitely listen to this again. Favourite one so far by a mile. Was gonna put an 8 but fck it. 9

13. Pixies - Allison

Was ok. I just want to listen to that last track again though. 5

14. John Frusciante - Omission

You know what, I'm learning about my own taste as I listen to this. When a song starts with a good, solid beat I'm drawn in. This is a good song, this mix has definitely taken a turn for the better. 7

15. Willy Mason - Oxygen

Skipped through this one a bit. Sorry chap. It was ok though. 5

16. Titus Andronicus - Titus Andronicus

Bit loud and invasive for me. Didn't like it. 4

17. Flight of the Conchords - Robots Live

Haha. 7

==========

Mate, you may have noticed from my posts in the Music Forum that this wasn't going to be my thing, and by and large it really wasn't. The start just sounded very generic to me. However, it was well worth listening to just to discover Colin Hay, Buckethead and John Frusciante. That second Buckethead tune is one of the best tunes I've heard from all 3 of the mixes I've reviewed this morning, so a special thanks for that one.

Overall 5/10.

Archived