Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Libertine's Thingy

1. Silversun Pickups - There's No Secrets This Year 8/10

Loved the angry opening riff. The vocals are a bit iffy for me though. Overall a good song, definatley a keeper.

2. Weezer - Tired of Sex 8/10

You know I'm a huge weezer fan, so I can only appluad you for including a weezer song!

3. Salem Al Fakir - It's Only You (Part II) 8/10

This sounded very much like something by Sigur-Ros. A beautiful song.

4. The Jesus & Mary Chain - Down On Me 6/10

It was catchy enough, but a very middle of the road track, neither good or bad really.

5. Dinosaur Jr. - Almost Ready 8/10

Cracking opening riff. The vocals seem to fit really well. Like this track a lot.

6. Ramones - Any Way You Want It 8/10

I love the ramones, good song choice.

7. The Rentals - Please Let That Be You 7/10

The vocals really did it for me in this one. A band I'll be looking out for more from.

8. Colin Hay - Beautiful World 9/10

I've heard some of his stuff. A beautiful song.

9. QotSA - .... Millionaire 4/10

Deary me. Screamathon! Disappointing.

10. The Subways - Obsession 6/10

I liked this a bit better, same angry music, but less screaming!

11. Buckethead- Jordan 8/10

My mate bums Buckethead, and now I can see why. What a talent. Insane.

12. Buckethead - Big D's Touch 9/10

What a beautiful piece of music. Stunning stuff. Best on this mix by far.

13. Pixies - Allison 7/10

I like it. Nothing special, but will listen to again.

14. John Frusciante - Omission 9/10

Love it. I love John's music, and will be including one of his on my own tape I think.

15. Willy Mason - Oxygen 3/10

Doesn't do anything for me at all. Just some bloke droning on to be honest.

16. Titus Andronicus - Titus Andronicus 8/10

Catchy, really catchy!

17. Flight of the Conchords - Robots Live 8/10

Love Fotc and love this song.

Overall verdict - Lots of quality songs on here, only a couple of duffers for me.

Overall rating - 8/10.

Thanks a lot Libertine.

Wicked daaaawg. :D Glad you enjoyed it.

Edit: Agree with the JAMC song really, originally I had Something Wrong there but changed it as I thought it'd be a bit hard to listen to for some. I wanted to do Just Like Honey instead but thought it was a bit too obvious.

Edit 2: The Rentals are led by Matt Sharp (original Weezer bassist as I'm sure you know) Granno. I'll send you some others by them if you like. Done a bit more punky stuff than that.

1. Silversun Pickups - There's No Secrets This Year 6/10

Decent enough opener, not sure about those vocals

2. Weezer - Tired of Sex 6/10

I don't mind Weezer, but the Blue Album Weezer. I found everything else has been hard to get into but it's alright.

3. Salem Al Fakir - It's Only You (Part II) 2/10

Not for me .Eh did someone say it sounded like a Sigur Ros song?!?! I well shouldn't have read that before hearing it lol

4. The Jesus & Mary Chain - Down On Me 6/10

A big fan of the band though they have alot better, anything from Psychocandy :P

5. Dinosaur Jr. - Almost Ready 5/10

Nice riffs throughout.

6. Ramones - Any Way You Want It 3/10

7. The Rentals - Please Let That Be You 3/10

Totally don't like this kind of thing, like a mix between Nerd Herder and Weezer here.

8. Colin Hay - Beautiful World 7/10

This was a pretty nice song.

9. QotSA - .... Millionaire 6/10

Well I never got into these when I didn't mind those vocals :P Not bad but I probably wouldn't listen again.

10. The Subways - Obsession 4/10

Do Not Like This Style Of Indie Music. :cry: Unexpected screaming towards the end.

11. Buckethead- Jordan 4/10

Not my kind of instrumental ;) He's not bad on the guitar though :P

12. Buckethead - Big D's Touch 7/10

Nice, alot better than previous.

13. Pixies - Allison 4/10

Love the Pixies, but is one of my least favourite songs by them! :o

14. John Frusciante - Omission 6/10

Never been a RHCP/John Frusciante fan but this is pretty good.

15. Willy Mason - Oxygen 3/10

Heard this before somewhere, doesn't do it for me

16. Titus Andronicus - Titus Andronicus 6/10

don't what to say about that, i quite liked it though :P

Bit too 'alternative rock' for me :P

1. Silversun Pickups - There's no secrets this year.

I liked this. Would be even better without an American accent.

2. Weezer - Tired of Sex

I liked the self-titled albums but this isn't a patch on anything from the blue album in particular. I think Weezer, like Oasis and Stereophonics, are one of those bands where nothing will ever live up to the debut - to me, that is. Only my opinion.

3. Salem Al Fakir - Only You (Part II)

Not a big fan. The vocals are too annoying and it doesn't really go anywhere or do anything.

4. The Jesus and Mary Chain - Down on me

I just missed out on JAMC age-wise and have never been able to see the attraction, although I've had phases of really liking bands they influenced (BRMC and BJM primarily)

5. Dinosaur Jr - Almost Ready

See above, kind of. It could almost be Dave Grohl singing - the influence on Foo Fighters is unquestionable. I always knew they were floating around as Pearl Jam were but I only ever listened to Nirvana. It's alright and I probably would have liked it 15 years ago but it doesn't really do enough for me now.

6. Ramones - Any way you want it

One thing I'm learning from this mix is how far detached I am from the vast majority of guitar music these days (obviously here, I mean me these days. I'm not suggesting the Ramones are a cutting-edge band that have just "broken" lol). I used to love it but I can't listen to it anymore without...

7. The Rentals - Please Let That Be You

...getting bored.

8. Colin Hay - Beautiful World

Really bored. lol

9. Queens of the Stone Age - You think I ain't worth a dollar, but I feel like a millionaire.

Queens of the Stone Age are on a different plane to most guitar bands. Bit of a strange pick and I can see why this has got a few slatings but the sound is so meaty and full, it's fantastic. In fact, putting this on here has probably had the opposite effect on me. In the context of the album, I always used to skip this as "just the shouty song" and didn't think there was much to it (in fact, when I saw it listed on this mix, I thought it was only about a minute long!) but listening to it now, especially compared with what's come before, it sounds brilliant.

10. The Subways - Obsession

I absolutely loved a couple of songs on the first Subways album, but the rest of it was a real disappointment to me. I was at uni when I first heard At 1AM and Oh Yeah, and they both excited me. That sort of thing was really what I was about at the time. I also liked No Goodbyes. The rest of the album paled in comparison, summed up by 'Mary' - first line "Mary is my best friend, she makes me my tea", reminded me of a really bad Oasis lyric and I remember reading an interview with them where they were banging on about Oasis. Really annoyed by these bands who write lazy, boring lyrics and pass themselves off as "storytellers". Sorry for the tangent but it got me angry remembering how disappointed I was by that album. lol This is a pleasant surprise. I never even bothered to find out what their second album was like after hearing the lead single which was terrible (I'm fairly certain it wasn't this, I remember it as being really bland and repetitive). This is good, I like it.

11. Buckethead- Jordan

Interesting, something a bit different. I wouldn't choose to listen to it but it's interesting.

12. Buckethead - Big D's Touch

See above, still not really my thing though. It's a shame that people have to put things like that, it always annoys me when other people do it, broaden your horizons! But if it isn't your thing, then it isn't your thing I suppose.

13. Pixies - Allison

I know I'm not allowed not to like the Pixies, as with the rest of the populace of the world, but this is just okay, I'm not spontaneously worshipping at anyone's feet. It's alright.

14. John Frusciante - Omission

I've never heard any of his solo stuff before. Have always admired his contribution to RHCP. It's interesting again and I wouldn't expect anything less than that from him. The variation just before the two-minute mark took me by surprise a bit which is good. Very interesting to hear.

15. Willy Mason - Oxygen

I really liked this when it came out. I preferred another song by him at the same time but I forget what it was called. This is going to take some research... So Long, it was called. I had that somewhere in a previous life. But they're both good. These days though, sooner or later any good songs, particularly catchy ones, are going to be swallowed up by global corporations for use in adverts and you end up hating them or at least becoming indifferent when you liked them first time you heard them (cf: Bohemian Like You, Jacques Your Body, Hoppipolla etc etc). Pretty sure this was used on an advert.

16. Titus Andronicus - Titus Andronicus

Never heard of them, which is quite rare for me. His voice reminds me a little bit of Joe Strummer, I'd say? I really like this. Just looked them up on Wikipedia, good stuff. KEY CHANGE! lol:D Quite vibrant. I liked this.

17. Flight of the Conchords - Robots Live

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

---------------

Hope that's alright mate. Don't listen to much in the way of guitar music these days so I was always going to struggle a bit to keep positive, but I still enjoyed it, if that makes sense. Cheers.

Right, here we go.

1. Silversun Pickups - There's No Secrets This Year 7/10

Yeah, I quite liked this actually. Sounds like a band I've heard before, but can't quite put my finger on who. Good start anyway.

2. Weezer - Tired of Sex 6/10

I do like a bit of Weezer, but I think they've done much better songs than this one personally. Saying that, I am by no means a Weezer expert, just that I've heard much better stuff from them before.

3. Salem Al Fakir - It's Only You (Part II) 7/10

Can't really argue with this one either, quite possibly something I'd look into a bit more. I've got a bit of music like this at the minute, and there's something similar on my own FT Mix.

4. The Jesus & Mary Chain - Down On Me 4/10

Nah, not my bag really. Nothing about it stands out; vocals are dull, and so are the guitars.

5. Dinosaur Jr. - Almost Ready 5/10

Again, it's just so plaaain. There's like three chords running throughout the whole thing, so it's not too adventurous. Gets a bit more interesting nearer the end though when the solo kicks in.

6. Ramones - Any Way You Want It 5/10

I'll admit, I've heard two Ramones song previous to this. But this doesn't give me inspriation to go any further. Don't get me wrong, it's not unlistenable by any means, but like the previous two songs it just doesn't really possess any kind of interestng factor to it.

7. The Rentals - Please Let That Be You 5.5/10

It's a little better than the last two tracks, but nothing I'd ever go out my way to choose to listen to again.

8. Colin Hay - Beautiful World 7.5/10

Overkill is one of my favourite songs around after hearing it on Scrubs once. I've definitely heard this one once before, but it's not in my itunes anymore for some reason. For the record, I like it a lot. It'd be criminal of me not to look into Colin Hay a bit more to be honest.

9. QotSA - .... Millionaire 6/10

A little bit disappointing really. I don't like the vocals at all, much prefer Josh Homme's singing voice to be honest. However, I like everything else about this song, so the vocals can be slightly overlooked here. Better than the other few songs earlier in this mix anyway.

10. The Subways - Obsession 9/10

I was never going to not like this really. Everything I've heard from the Subways previously has been brilliant, and seeing them live has made me appreciate their music even more.

11. Buckethead- Jordan 8/10

I am partial to an instrumental or two, and I can appreciate good guitar work when I hear it. I've never even heard of Buckethead though before you'd mentioned him before, but I might seek some more out sometime in the future. Very good.

12. Buckethead - Big D's Touch 7/10

Didn't enjoy it as much as the previous track, but it was still nice nevertheless. I said I might look out for more of his music in the future, but I definitely will after hearing this as well.

13. Pixies - Allison 4/10

Nah, back to the crap again. Not a fan of this.

14. John Frusciante - Omission 7/10

John Frusciante will always be a bit of hero after RHCP, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of his solo stuff from what I've already heard. It's decent easy listening, but it doesn't really show what he can really do in my opinion. Saying that, it gets much better as it goes on to be fair.

15. Willy Mason - Oxygen 9/10

Absolutely love this song. It's not a new one for me, first heard it about 3 or 4 years ago now probably, but it'll never tire. I remember listening to Colin Murray one night and Willy was playing a live set on there, absolutely brilliant.

16. Titus Andronicus - Titus Andronicus 3/10

Again, not really my thing to be honest. Probably the worst thing on this mix in my opinion.

17. Flight of The Conchords - Robots

I won't pretend I found this funny. :ph34r:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not bad this Lib. It's generally either really good or average-poor, bit hit and miss, which is much better than a whole mix full of average songs. It's certainly opened my eyes to Buckethead anyway, and prompted me to get into Colin Hay a bit more.

Jeez, I might as well go and kill myself right now.

You don't say that about Pixies around these parts and get away with it. lol I'll admit it's noway near their best track, but it was just placed there to link the two around it a bit better.

I'm going to be really insulting to Joe's now. :D

Just kidding. You could've worded some bits better though. :cry:

Do I have you on MSN? I'll make you a Intro to Buckethead .rar if you like, it's easier than downloading stuff seeing as he has 27 solo albums to choose from.

Christ, Joe's making friends aint he. lol

I'm only being honest! Some people claim to like every track going... Now watch mine get shot to pieces. :P

I'm going to be really insulting to Joe's now. :D

Just kidding. You could've worded some bits better though. :cry:

Do I have you on MSN? I'll make you a Intro to Buckethead .rar if you like, it's easier than downloading stuff seeing as he has 27 solo albums to choose from.

I don't even think I was being that harsh on yours was I?! Only about 5 or 6 songs I gave pretty poor songs too I think, which out of 17 'aint bad really. I liked most of it!

Have given this a few listens already, so have a general idea of what the review will be. It's probably my favourite mix so far, but that probably doesn't come as a surprise. Will post the review if I can be arsed tonight :P

1. Silversun Pickups - There's No Secrets This Year /10

It's ok kind of avoided these seems like they should stop knocking one out of the Smashing Pumpkins and try and be their own band would rather listen to The Pumpkins if I was in the mood to listen to something like this

2. Weezer - Tired of Sex /10

I like Weezer Pinkertons a monster of a record so this gets a thumbs up!!

3. Salem Al Fakir - It's Only You (Part II) /10

It's ok not sure I would ever want to own any though.

4. The Jesus & Mary Chain - Down On Me /10

Quite like Jesus and Mary Chain without actually owning any this is a good song though.

5. Dinosaur Jr. - Almost Ready /10

Beyond was an absolute monster of an album that came from out of nowhere from a band I had long since written off I love this song I actually put another song off this album This is all I came to do on on my first mix for this swap but have since totally changed it. The new album out in a few weeks judging from the tracks I have heard on myspace looks like being another brilliant record.

6. Ramones - Any Way You Want It /10

The Ramones classic band, Brilliant band, great song

7. The Rentals - Please Let That Be You /10

This is alright actually

8. Colin Hay - Beautiful World /10

I have a great difficulty listening to a song that contains the lyrics I" like drinking Irish tea

With a little bit of lapsang souchong I like making my own tea." well... this songs not for me

9. QotSA - .... Millionaire /10

QotSA have some monster songs the guitar hooks in this song are just brilliant

10. The Subways - Obsession /10

just leaves me a bit cold doesn't really do much for me.

11. Buckethead- Jordan /10

If I could name one thing that really annoys me in music it's diddly diddly wah wah diddly style guitar solos that go on for ages so I guess you can tell what I thing about this song!!

12. Buckethead - Big D's Touch /10

sounds like something from a Dawsons Creek style American teen drama not for me.

13. Pixies - Allison /10

Pixies eh... brilliant band, brilliant songs one of the all time greats in terms of changing the face of music.

14. John Frusciante - Omission /10

bit bland really nothing offensive and not much of an edge

15. Willy Mason - Oxygen /10

never heard of him before I think I will be looking into him a bit more

16. Titus Andronicus - Titus Andronicus /10

really like this one actually

17. The Conchords

Surely everyone loves the Conchords?

Jay's never heard of Willy Mason?! :o

I thought you were the music encyclopedia! :cry:

I KNOW!!!!

Tell me about it better start doing some more research!!

1. Silversun Pickups - There's no secrets this year.

Started like a newer era Placbo song and sort of went on the same way (until it got kinda Pumpkins towards the end), even down to the whiney, slightly-too-camp voice. I'm actually a big fan of Placebo and it was difficult to dislike this but I can't say his voice did much for me. It made me realise why people do dislike Brian Molko. Listenable, though, to be fair. I'd probably listen to it again. 7.

2. Weezer - Tired of Sex

Weezer can do no ill. Tired of Sex isn't one of my favourites but then neither is Pinkerton one of my favourite albums. Still a classic, though! 7.

3. Salem Al Fakir - Only You (Part II)

Fantastic start. The first few bars sounded like they should have been an O2 commercial with Sean Bean. =P. Not really something I'd listen to again beyond that but it was fantastically well aranged. Really comes together nicely, clearly well written. 6

4. The Jesus and Mary Chain - Down on me

Just a poor man's Black Rebel Motorocy... oh... wait. ;) Narh but really I do enjoy th Jesus and Mary Chain, you very much know what you're getting here - uncomplicated, it's either your thing or it isn't. 8.

5. Dinosaur Jr - Almost Ready

I'm just not a big fan. Passed up the opportunity to see them live a few times at Reading and never quite understand why they were getting the hype. Decent guitarist, mind!

6. Ramones - Any way you want it

Again, the Ramones aren't really ever going to surprise anyone. They're fun and I enjoy their music but I don't know what much more to say other than it's a solid Ramones track! Haha. As much as they're loveable, you really could mix-and-match a majority of their lyrics with a majority of their riffs and get them to match up. They were the Andrew WK of their time! =P. 7/10

7. The Rentals - Please Let That Be You

Pleasant but a little bland, Jack, sorry. I'm a real child when it comes to music - I generally like extremes. Very simple, very quiet, very fast, very loud. I don't really do bland which is why I've never really found myself much into indie. Like I said on Flynny's mix, I feel harsh giving things particularly low scores because most of what people put in is quality music in it's own right and I know you've clearly an intelligent and eclectic taste in music. This just did nothing for me, though.

8. Colin Hay - Beautiful World

Do you come from a land down under!? Where women grow and men plunderrrrrrrrrr! Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunderrr? You better run! You bet-... what? Sorry. I actually had to pause this and go and listen to Men at Work on Youtube to get that out of my system. Now I've got a really burning urge to pause it for the second time and go and listen to 10cc. lol

Seriously though, this is probably my favourite so far. I love his voice and it's just very nice. I doubt you're surprised I'm digging this given some of the music we mutually appreciate. I'll keep this and probably dig out some more of his solo stuff. 9/10.

9. Queens of the Stone Age - You think I ain't worth a dollar, but I feel like a millionaire.

Interesting turn of pace but another band you largely can't go wrong with. One of the better songs on Songs for the Deaf, in my opinion. Like with Tired of Sex, though, not really my favourite album by the band. I adoooooooooore Rated R. 9/10.

10. The Subways - Obsession

Did Smuts pay you to put this on? =P.

11. Buckethead- Jordan

:cool: You can basically wear what the fuck you want on your head when you're that good with an instrument. If you're going to wank on your strings for four minutes you generally need to do something unconventional to entertain me in the process and this wasn't just like listening to Kirk Hammett stroke his 'ego'. I'd love to hear Tom Morello and Buckethead jamming together with their guitars and a whole room of strange pedals. Make it happen! 10/10.

More to follow. I'm being dragged off of here.

Archived