Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

Libertine's Thingy

Big D's Touch

Wow, contrast. This is film montage music if ever I've heard it. The title character is going through some pretty rough times and as he goes through his day in the city, his life's just falling to pieces around him - nothing's going right. Quite relaxing as a piece of music, I enjoyed it - little bit surprised Mark wasn't more appreciative. 8.

Allison

I'm really not a Pixies fan. I'm told this makes me a philistine, I don't know, maybe. Pixies fans generally get on my tits for the same reason Radiohead fans do. :P

Omission

Sweet. Never heard any of his solo work before. Always thought he was seriously undervalued in the band, with everyone spuffing over the bass work. I enjoyed this, quite a lot, it was a little different and nicely mellow in a way. Will certainly keep this, might even be worth a 10.

Oxygen

^_^ tbh, that's all I need to say really isn't it? Just ^_^. Find me someone who's described this song better than ^_^ and I'll personally give them my ham sandwich. ^_^ 8.

Titus Andronicus

Hmmm. I think if this were on the soundtrack to something like Juno I'd grin and nod along to it and remark about how it was a decent song and how it fit the film but I don't think it's something I'd actually sit and listen to myself. It's fun but there's something I can't quite put my finger on that unsettles me a little about it. 6.5, seven maybe?

The Humans are Dead

lol 11.

Solid, some really nice stuff on there that I'd otherwise have not thought to listen to. If I enjoy Joe's as much as I enjoyed this I'll have a nice couple of days listening. I cringe everytime someone says "thanks!" or "thanks for the effort!" on these reviews, it sounds so dismissive and condescending. But actually thanks, sincerely, I enjoyed this.

After listening to this mix quite a lot over the last couple of days, both the Buckethead tracks would be at least a 9 for me now.

Really getting into music without lyrics now, as you'll see a bit in my mix.

Really good mix, Jack.

After listening to this mix quite a lot over the last couple of days, both the Buckethead tracks would be at least a 9 for me now.

Really getting into music without lyrics now, as you'll see a bit in my mix.

Really good mix, Jack.

Good shout son.

1. Silversun Pickups - There's No Secrets This Year

Well apart from the vocals, I found this quite decent. His voice reminds me of the guy from Wheatus… a bit too teenage-y for me. The sound is nothing new either, but it’s ok.

2. Weezer - Tired of Sex

The music is quite crude and simple, but that’s ok. Decent track, definitely better than average. There’s nothing here that excites me in any way though

3. Salem Al Fakir - It's Only You (Part II)

Different and I like it. Interesting composition, a bit too dreamy maybe, the voice is a bit iffy too. Simple and clean sounds that are very captivating. Will remember this one.

4. The Jesus & Mary Chain - Down On Me

Very straightforward, can’t really fault any of it, but it’s lacking some oomph!

5. Dinosaur Jr. - Almost Ready

I like the rough sound they have. This has got the oomph I was looking for! I can’t be bothered to listen to rock that’s so straightforward and been done umpteen times if it doesn’t have any energy of note. Good track this.

6. Ramones - Any Way You Want It

I’ve never gotten into the Ramones, despite all the media hype around them. The bits and pieces I heard didn’t really catch my imagination. This track is rather similar to the previous one, got plenty of energy and simple structure, almost singalong lyrics. It’s ok, but didn’t do as much for me as Dino Jr

7. The Rentals - Please Let That Be You

This sounds a bit too messy and amateurish. I guess that’s what many like about indie, but it does little for me.

8. Colin Hay - Beautiful World

I’m so used to somber or sincere music and lyrics that I've almost forgotten that these kind of songs can be great too :P Nice and uplifting even though the lyrics are nothing to brag about. Very good voice, might look into more of him just because of that!

9. QotSA - .... Millionaire

Well, possibly my favourite song on Songs for the Deaf. The guitar in this is droolingly good. I just made that word up, didn’t I? Top marks here.

10. The Subways - Obsession

Again some strong riffs in here. Don’t care much for the chorus though. In fact, at the end of this song I’ve come to the conclusion that the riffs are the only noticeable thing in this. The rest is a bit average.

11. Buckethead- Jordan

Good first minute and a half, but when the wanking starts I start to get a bit irritated. I’ve heard so many of those guys and it’s just not very interesting, even though I acknowledge they’re superb guitar players. It’s ok in small doses, but this is a bit much… Hey, I like the sounds he does around the 3-minute mark.

12. Buckethead - Big D's Touch

At least he’s got plenty of versatility! I keep hearing people saying guitarists like Satriani don’t have any soul when they play, but this puts them to shame. I read Buckethead does all sorts of things, which I respect greatly. There’s nothing more boring than one-trick ponies in my opinion (unless the trick is VERY good :P). This is a moving piece, and like Finners said, it wouldn’t be out of place in a movie soundtrack.

13. Pixies - Allison

Hmmm, meh. It left me quite cold, unfortunately…

14. John Frusciante - Omission

Chorus is slightly overdone, but the song’s a bit different. It’s difficult to dislike this. His guitar is quite recognisable, and maybe that brings my opinion of it slightly down (newer RHCP annoy me greatly), but a decent song nonetheless

15. Willy Mason - Oxygen

What a lovely piece this is. Sounds like he did this in his bedroom one night and just got some things off his chest. While singing it like a lullaby or something as soothing. Really like this, great stuff!

16. Titus Andronicus - Titus Andronicus

Can’t stand the vocals in this. Leaves me utterly cold.

17. FotC – Robots

Haha brilliant. Had my girlfriend in stitches too.

Just to confirm since Libertines mix I am know the owner of 2 Willy Mason albums to fill that gap in my musical knowledge!!

and they are both bloody good albums to be fair.

Didn't play in this order - but hey. Again, no scoring.

1. Silversun Pickups - There's No Secrets This Year /10

Smashing Pumpkins? It is isn't it? Except no Billy Corgan vocals, so it all falls apart - he's even trying to sing like Billy. Think it was Jay who said they should try to be their own band - that or be a proper tribute band. (Just wikied them and the band say they sound like MBV. Sod off do you! They can all die! Blasphemy I tell you!)

2. Weezer - Tired of Sex /10

First I heard this, without looking at the listing I thought, "this sounds like Weezer." Now, I'm not sure how good a thing that is - to be instantly recognisable... or is it the same old same old? But then I guess a lot of my favourite bands are instantly recognisable. It must just be that I'm not all that keen on Weezer. If I was given their stuff I'd keep it and even occasionally play it, but I don't think I'd ever buy an album - even though I'm aware they've done better stuff than this. Buddy Holly for instance.

3. Salem Al Fakir - It's Only You (Part II) /10

I love this. I love the sentiment of the song. It makes me really, really wish my wife wasn't deaf and we could both listen to this together (obviously, I really wish she wasn't anyway, but this drives the point home like a dagger to the heart.) Brings a tear to my eye. :cry:

4. The Jesus & Mary Chain - Down On Me /10

I used to have Darklands. I guess it must have been on tape and therefore been one of countless 100s that got stolen from my car (which police never seemed interested in following up... too busy chasing people doing 33 mph :angry: It should have been easy though, how many thieves had such an avant gardé tape collection?) Of course it's quality. The Reid brothers were great.

5. Dinosaur Jr. - Almost Ready /10

This serves to remind me of one thing. I need more Dinosaur Jr. I have Bug and Where You Been (when I live back at parents my bro had Green Mind too - we always tried to avoid duplicating each others albums to obtain a larger cross-selection), I need more!

6. Ramones - Any Way You Want It /10

The Ramones are the Ramones and nothing can change that. Not my favourite track though. On this mix it comes in low on the scale.

7. The Rentals - Please Let That Be You /10

Still undecided on this on. Got an interesting synth thing going on in it, it seems to work, but I feel I might ultimately get bored of it. Not bad though, I'll enjoy it whilst it lasts.

8. Colin Hay - Beautiful World /10

No. The nail in the coffin is the "or a woman if you are one" lyric. How dumb!

9. QotSA - .... Millionaire /10

Ah, Song for the Deaf. A great album which belongs to a collection of 30-something books/cds/dvd that I know I've lent out, but have no idea who to because I've haven't seen them for years. The Library of Trav would be fine if only I had 30 odd items from other people... but as it stands I'm probably 25+ in credit. :angry:

10. The Subways - Obsession /10

When the Subways came out I loved them (I saw them supporting Charlottle Hatherley at (appropriately) The Charlotte before they had a record deal and I bought a white disc of Oh Yeah and Rock and Roll Queen) however, I don't think they've lived up to their promise. I know there was a lot of criticism of Charlottes vocals when they started, but I liked their rawness. Their new stuff seems over produced, maybe as a result of this criticism.

11. Buckethead- Jordan /10

Nice, but sounds like it should be on the soundtrack for a FPS. Decent for driving too though (oooh, so maybe in a driving game then!)

12. Buckethead - Big D's Touch /10

Well, it's different to the other track... but this is muzak. They could have the call-waiting market cornered!

13. Pixies - Allison /10

I've reviewed this elsewhere :P

14. John Frusciante - Omission /10

This is okay - sounds a bit Coldplay in places. Can't say I'd buy it.

15. Willy Mason - Oxygen /10

I've reviewed this elsewhere :P

16. Titus Andronicus - Titus Andronicus /10

I've never had anytime for shantys, I think I've said that a few times in my review of Finner's mix. It's the chanting I think. Chanting is for football, not songs.

17. FotC - Robots

Quite funny, but humourous songs quickly grate for me. This isn't annoying yet though. Note: no binary numbers start with a 0 :P

********************************************************************************

Cheers, Mr Tine, I enjoyed that a lot - shame it's because much of the stuff is music I know I like already. :thumbup::whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

1. Silversun Pickups - There's No Secrets This Year 8/10 Liked it, always wondered what Coheed & Cambria playing Something Corparate would sound like.

2. Weezer - Tired of Sex 10/10 - *Makes Weezer 'W' sign* :worship

3. Salem Al Fakir - It's Only You (Part II) 7/10 - Bit James Blunt but ok.

4. The Jesus & Mary Chain - Down On Me 6/10 - Not bad.

5. Dinosaur Jr. - Almost Ready 6/10 - S'aite

6. Ramones - Any Way You Want It 6/10 - Bit tame for The Ramones but aint bad i spose.

7. The Rentals - Please Let That Be You 5/10 - Meh.

8. Colin Hay - Beautiful World 9/10 - Great song which was on a mix i used to seduce the missus. Oxygen was on it too.

9. QotSA - .... Millionaire 6/10 - Slowest starting song in the world. Got bored of waiting and skipped most of the intro. Dint get into it as muchas say 'No One Knows' but it was ok.

10. The Subways - Obsession 6/10 - Great live band but never really capture that on record. Ok song but they've not been as good since they split upand his voice got fooked up.

11. Buckethead- Jordan 4/10 - I can see why people like this but it has no words. Not for me.

12. Buckethead - Big D's Touch 4/10 - Better than the other one but still shit without words.

13. Pixies - Allison 6/10 - Meh s'ok. Never really got into Pixies and have based everything i know about them on Debaser. This is nothing like Debaser.

14. John Frusciante - Omission 6/10 The best thing about the Chilli Peppers other than Flea's Nihilist.

15. Willy Mason - Oxygen 10/10 - One of my favourite songs ever before i went to uni. Was also on a mix i made for he missus to seduce her.

16. Titus Andronicus - Titus Andronicus 8/10 Early Ash. I love early Ash. Good track.

Nothing on there that i hadn't already heard stood out except the last song. 6/10

• 2 weeks later...

1. Silversun Pickups - There's No Secrets This Year 8/10

I like this, alot Lib. Very nice, going to download buy an album :cool:

2. Weezer - Tired of Sex 7/10

I do like Weezer and I enjoyed this song, as I do with most.

3. Salem Al Fakir - It's Only You (Part II) 7/10

Now where have I heard this before? I'm really not sure but its good to hear the whole song which I liked.

4. The Jesus & Mary Chain - Down On Me 6/10

Not bad but nothing special.

5. Dinosaur Jr. - Almost Ready 6/10

I feel the same as the last song, its alright but it just feels samey. (not sure if that is a word)

6. Ramones - Any Way You Want It 5/10

I'm trying to think of things I like about this song, its alright but to me it sounds just like the previous 2 songs.

7. The Rentals - Please Let That Be You 7/10

Very nice , I like the vocals and the beat.

8. Colin Hay - Beautiful World 8/10

I love this, In a million years I wouldn't think of listening to Colin Hay but I guess this has broadened my musical taste. Very nice Lib.

9. QotSA - .... Millionaire 8/10

Ha like the intro.. and the song, love the screaming :D

10. The Subways - Obsession 7/10

Oh yes, where is my ipod.

11. Buckethead- Jordan 8/10

Ahh Buckethead, watched a few of his vids on youtube (after you mentioned him). I like this song, he has talent.

12. Buckethead - Big D's Touch 9/10

This is brilliant, even though its not my thing I appreciate good music when I hear it.

13. Pixies - Allison 5/10

Not really a fan I guess.

14. John Frusciante - Omission 7/10

Got better as the song went on, enjoyed it.

15. Willy Mason - Oxygen 5/10

Got bored of this but the lyrics were good.

16. Titus Andronicus - Titus Andronicus 5/10

It was alright? Probably wouldn't listen to it ever again though lol

17. Flight of the Conchords - Robots Live

lol

I enjoyed this Lib and I hope thats alright for you, I really liked Buckethead and Colin Hay :thumbup:

there's no secrets this year - silversun pickups

i liked this loads, sounded like the news FADs or some such

tired of sex - weezer

the better of the two weezer tracks i've heard today

it's only you (part ii) - salem al fakir

another irritating voice, which made me hit 'forward'

down on me - jesus and mary chain

not the best JaMC i've ever heard

almost ready - dinosaur jr

i never liked these much, due to their songs just sounding like a mess. 'kracked' is better IMO

anyway you want it - the ramones

like the man says 'it's alright'

please let that be you - the rentals

very good, i liked the keyboards and bass

beautiful world - colin hay

amusing. i liked this, sound's like the kind of thing i'd come up with, if i were any good.

you think i aint worth a dollar, but i feel like a millionaire - QotSA

what's not to like? (maybe the squawky voice)

obsession - the subways

i liked this a lot, but only the singing when the woman harmonised.

jordan - buckethead

i liked this, but it reminds me of listening to steve vai, which after stroking my chin for a bit, got dull

big d's touch - buckethead

easier on the ear, this one. but lacks a singer. guitar solo's get boring at the best of times.

allison - pixies

again, what's not to like. fanclub-tastic

omission - john frusciante

i liked this. it's better than 'the past recedes' if i heard this one first, i may've had a different opinion of 'the past recedes'

oxygen - willy mason

i liked this, for the colin hay reasons.

titus andronicus - titus andronicus

i loved this. very 70's

robots - Flight of the conchords

year 2000 isn't that funny the 4th time. too many dicks on the dance floor is my current favourite. although it was very funny

Archived