Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Jury Duty

Oh crap I have just got a court summons for jury duty!?!?!

108070[/snapback]

i hope you don't get one that lasts for years! luckily i've never been called up.

i have heard it said though, that its a piece of piss to get out of

I think you should do it- its one of the few civil duties you have.

108097[/snapback]

I would, but i work for a small company and they cannot really afford to lose me. Whether that is a good enough excuse for the court i don't know.

108097[/snapback]

Exactly - it's a small price we pay for living in a civilised and democratic country.

108097[/snapback]

Exactly - it's a small price we pay for living in a civilised and democratic country.

108100[/snapback]

Please don't go preaching about what i should and shouldn't do. You don't know my work circumstances, i work for a small company doing big and expensive projects. If i'm not there to deal with my accounts the customers could well walk!!!

108097[/snapback]

108100[/snapback]

Please don't go preaching about what i should and shouldn't do. You don't know my work circumstances, i work for a small company doing big and expensive projects. If i'm not there to deal with my accounts the customers could well walk!!!

108103[/snapback]

sorted

108097[/snapback]

108100[/snapback]

108103[/snapback]

Sorry, but I feel people owe something to the state, for all the things that we take for granted which are not available to many people across the world. How would you feel if you were a victim in a crime (or indeed an innocent person accused of an offence you didn't commit) and at your trial you didn't have a jury because they didn't want to do it/couldn't make it for whatever reason.

Besides, surely your company must have contingency plans for these sort of things? What if one of your staff was taken ill all of a sudden?

108097[/snapback]

108100[/snapback]

108103[/snapback]

i sympathise babylon if you explain the nature of your work i'm sure you will be ok the accountants i used to work at had people being called up all the time (about 5 in one year! hmm really random that!) and they all just said they were too busy and got out of it.

108097[/snapback]

108100[/snapback]

108103[/snapback]

Sorry, but I feel people owe something to the state, for all the things that we take for granted which are not available to many people across the world. How would you feel if you were a victim in a crime (or indeed an innocent person accused of an offence you didn't commit) and at your trial you didn't have a jury because they didn't want to do it/couldn't make it for whatever reason.

Besides, surely your company must have contingency plans for these sort of things? What if one of your staff was taken ill all of a sudden?

108114[/snapback]

Bull shit... I owe the state nothing!!! There are plenty of people who are jobless/retired or have less demanding work who can do it.

"Besides, surely your company must have contingency plans for these sort of things? What if one of your staff was taken ill all of a sudden?" Did you not see where i said it's a small company!!! I am the bloody staff. If i'm ill and we are busy I go to work!! If i'm dying then maybe they would do something about it!

You think a jury should only comprise people who are jobless/retired/have less demanding jobs? You obviously don't know much about how juries are meant to operate then.

Juries should be representative of society (class, creed, colour etc) and if you limit juries to those who are unemployed/retired/have less demanding jobs then the jury isn't going to reflect our makeup of society.

anyone else got any ideas how to get out of it... not sure i'll get away with not speaking english!

108093[/snapback]

You'll need to turn up on the first day

When you are asked any questions

EG: Name?

Respond by jumping up and shouting GUILTY - HANG HIM M'LORD

You think a jury should only comprise people who are jobless/retired/have less demanding jobs? You obviously don't know much about how juries are meant to operate then.

Juries should be representative of society (class, creed, colour etc) and if you limit juries to those who are unemployed/retired/have less demanding jobs then the jury isn't going to reflect our makeup of society.

108684[/snapback]

I know exactly how a jury operates thankyou very much. Do you think all retired people are white and 80. Do you think all jobless people are scum bag 18year olds? They can cover all spectrums of life.

It's easy for you to sit there spouting what people should and shouldn't do. As your not in the position of being relied upon as i am (and many others on here) I don't expect you to understand.

I tell you what though, as you are so intent on me doing it give me your mobile number and i will pass it onto my boss and let him know you are going to come and fill in for me when i'm on the jury. Don't worry you only have two 70 page brochures to design by the end of the month, I'm sure someone such yourself won't have any problem. Oh you will also have to be able to speak some German to deal with the agency.

I had thought of doing that deathside.... when i send the form back i'll write that on it.

anyone else got any ideas how to get out of it... not sure i'll get away with not speaking english!

108093[/snapback]

108687[/snapback]

Or when asked whether you know the defendant, say "ahhhhh, we go waaaaaaay back" :)

108093[/snapback]

108687[/snapback]

Or when asked whether you know the defendant, say "ahhhhh, we go waaaaaaay back" :)

108793[/snapback]

or "yes, we robbed banks together back in the 80's"

108684[/snapback]

I know exactly how a jury operates thankyou very much. Do you think all retired people are white and 80. Do you think all jobless people are scum bag 18year olds? They can cover all spectrums of life.

It's easy for you to sit there spouting what people should and shouldn't do. As your not in the position of being relied upon as i am (and many others on here) I don't expect you to understand.

I tell you what though, as you are so intent on me doing it give me your mobile number and i will pass it onto my boss and let him know you are going to come and fill in for me when i'm on the jury. Don't worry you only have two 70 page brochures to design by the end of the month, I'm sure someone such yourself won't have any problem. Oh you will also have to be able to speak some German to deal with the agency.

I had thought of doing that deathside.... when i send the form back i'll write that on it.

108787[/snapback]

I sympathise with you Babylon, but Jury duty is one of these duties that goes with the rights we have. Sometimes people base our civil liberties are all based on the idea that we are intrinsically 'due' them. Well unfortunately we're not. What would it be like if it was someone you knew who had been the victim of a crime and the prosecution said, sorry mate we cant do this trial because no-one can be bothered to turn up for jury duty?

And just for the record if I had a job and were called up for jury duty, I'd do it. Yes it might be a pain in the ass but it only happens once in your life, and I dont think its too much to ask to hold onto these civil liberties we so enjoy.

Glue your dick to your leg and that way mate you'll get out of both. Hospital for a few weeks after your bladder bursts. Sounds like you could do with a few weeks off if they work you that hard, do you ever get any holiday there?

It's a contentious issue that not everyone is going to agree on. I have never done jury service and id be quite nervous about it to be honest. I believe it is a lot easier to 'get out of' these days than it was, and I know you get expenses paid etc, it's worth a try trying to get out of it if you really have to.

er hello, me again, yeh i did jury duty last summer for two loooong weeks. you do have to sit about and do very little and then you get a case and it could be thrown out or not or there could be a legal issue andyou have to go sit back in the jury room which is lso depressing after a while.

But i did meet some ace people there, i havent seen them since but they keep you going. Indeed one of City's youth coaches was doing jury duty the two weeks i was doing it and we sat and chatted about football and leicester all day. my favourite story he told was neil lennon saying about taylor - that he never wants to play for that #### again...he used the C word! shocking. the youth coach guy got put on some 3month case for a riot at lincoln prison, i got out of it due to having to come back to manchester for uni but he had no excuse, apparently the club were annoyed and he was annoyed at losing his fitness and having to do something he hated rather than coaching which he loves..i cant even remember his name, thats pretty sad.

anyway, do it if you can because some of the other people there were just retarded idiots who didnt want to send anyone down even if they were clearly guilty. we had to sit and explain all the facts to this old lady over and over.

Archived