Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
danielpholt

The NHL Thread

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who's gonna win the cup?

• 1 month later...

I was just searching for Panthers info, and I see that they average about 5,000 fans per game. That's better attendance than even some of the major KHL teams get in Russia. It does seem like the atmosphere at their games is decent, too.

I was just searching for Panthers info, and I see that they average about 5,000 fans per game. That's better attendance than even some of the major KHL teams get in Russia. It does seem like the atmosphere at their games is decent, too.

Panthers are probably the biggest Ice Hockey team in England though to be fair.

In terms of pure entertainment from game action, there's nothing quite like watching a hockey game live at most professional levels. If I lived in Leicester, I would probably go to Nottingham a few times to get my hockey fix.

One bit of "culture shock" is the amount of advertising on uniforms in the Elite League and most other European leagues compared to the North American leagues. I would imagine that a lot of those teams don't have a wide range of revenue sources and thus have to be a bit more creative in selling sponsorships. Also, in Scandinavian and Central European countries, plastering sponsor logos all over uniforms seems to be the norm in most sports.

Hockey fans here tend to be more conservative/protective about their teams' respective images, particularly those of the "Original Six" teams. There have been suggestions that uniform sponsorship will eventually come to the NHL in some form, but if it does, it will be met with resistance. The Rangers jersey is an institution in itself. "Purists" like me are even upset with the bastardized version of a Rangers jersey that the team is wearing for its Stadium Series games. Fans in Montréal were upset when the Canadiens put a Subway sponsor logo on the team's practice jersey, so I cannot even imagine the outrage that would ensue if the team ever put sponsor logos on "La Sainte Flanelle." Then again, the Rangers have corporate sponsors for such things like sections of seating (the "Chase Bridges"), segments of the game (the "Foxwoods Final Five"), and nearly everything else one can think of.

Edited by Jordan

Yeh the thing with the elite league is that it needs to generate alternative income in order to keep the game going. Unlike other sports it cannot sustain itself with television deals and therefore generates its income through sponsorship and gate receipts.

I have to admit as a Panthers fan that I will not buy a jersey until the teams sponsor, GMB, is removed from it. However, that is more my political opinion/bias rather than taking offence to sponsorship.

I'm still waiting for the return of one particular hockey franchise:

Quebec_Nordiques58.png

It could happen sooner than many thought… I've been craving a new team in Québec City for so long.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2013/11/27/quebecs_nhl_dreams_boosted_by_rogers_deal.html

Edited by MC Prussian

• 2 months later...

Alright, the 2014 playoff matchups have been set (numbers in parenthesis denote final overall Conference position):

EAST

Boston Bruins (1) vs. Detroit Red Wings (8)

Tampa Bay Lightning (3) vs. Montréal Canadiens (4)

Pittsburgh Penguins (2) vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (7)

New York Rangers (5) vs. Philadelphia Flyers (6)

WEST

Colorado Avalanche (2) vs. Minnesota Wild (7)

St. Louis Blues (3) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (5)

Anaheim Mighty Ducks (1) vs. Dallas Stars (8)

San José Sharks (4) vs. L.A. Kings (6)

And Sidney Crosby wins the scoring title for the second time in his career, totaling 104 points (which is pretty low, I long the days of top scorers with 120+ points).

Edited by MC Prussian

Gentlemen, start growing those beards! I'm so psyched for this--sports don't get any better than playoff hockey.

A note about the playoffs: unlike previous years, the playoffs will go by division, not conference rankings, so the bracket is set through the finals and the teams will not reseed after each round. By the quirks of the new system and the wild card, the Dallas Stars could be the Pacific Division playoff champions.

I'd be up for a prediction contest. Would you want to do it the same way we did in the past, or set up a bracket challenge on NHL.com?

Alright, here's my prediction for the first round:

EAST

Boston Bruins (1) vs. Detroit Red Wings (8) in 5

Tampa Bay Lightning (3) vs. Montréal Canadiens (4) in 6

Pittsburgh Penguins (2) vs. Columbus Blue Jackets (7) in 6

New York Rangers (5) vs. Philadelphia Flyers (6) in 7

WEST

Colorado Avalanche (2) vs. Minnesota Wild (7) in 6

St. Louis Blues (3) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (5) in 6

Anaheim Mighty Ducks (1) vs. Dallas Stars (8) in 5

San José Sharks (4) vs. L.A. Kings (6) in 7

Edited by MC Prussian

And the Lightning are already out! 4-0 rout by the Canadiens. First big surprise of this year's playoffs.

I don't think it's that big of a surprise when you consider that Ben Bishop was injured for the whole series.

The playoffs have been awfully exciting so far. Rangers-Flyers has taken a predictably nasty turn but I'm happy with how things are going. The Jackets are giving the Penguins a series. The Blackhawks, Wild and Stars have all gotten back into the series after dropping the first two on the road, but the Kings are on life support--Jonathan Quick just isn't giving the playoff performances we've grown accustomed to.

I don't think it's that big of a surprise when you consider that Ben Bishop was injured for the whole series.

The playoffs have been awfully exciting so far. Rangers-Flyers has taken a predictably nasty turn but I'm happy with how things are going. The Jackets are giving the Penguins a series. The Blackhawks, Wild and Stars have all gotten back into the series after dropping the first two on the road, but the Kings are on life support--Jonathan Quick just isn't giving the playoff performances we've grown accustomed to.

But surely the puck doesn't stop with the goalkeeper being out injured?

Just had a look at the current playoff results and - boy - does it look like I'm lucky so far.

I've got the Bruins, Pens and Blackhawks series spot on. The Kings could do me a huge favour by winning game seven.

And I'll need the Rangers to go through a bit more nerve-racking scenes and a 4-3 overall series win - two more games remaining. :P

But surely the puck doesn't stop with the goalkeeper being out injured?

Just had a look at the current playoff results and - boy - does it look like I'm lucky so far.

I've got the Bruins, Pens and Blackhawks series spot on. The Kings could do me a huge favour by winning game seven.

And I'll need the Rangers to go through a bit more nerve-racking scenes and a 4-3 overall series win - two more games remaining. :P

You can't completely pin everything on goaltending, but as soon as Bishop went down, the Habs definitely had the advantage in that area. Carey Price has been very good all year. The Habs were relentless going after the puck in that series and the Lightning's defensemen just couldn't skate with the speedy Montreal forwards. Getting Vanek at the trade deadline was a perfect move by GM Marc Bergevin--his team needed a winger with a nose for the net in the worst way. I still think Boston will handle them in the next round.

As for the Rangers, they never make things easy, do they? I think they've lost 11 games in a row when they have had a chance to take a 2-game playoff series lead. They have been the better team in every game this series, though, and have enough to close the deal tonight.

The Jackets really pushed your Pens hard...

It's getting interesting out West, too... Let's see if my dark horse pick, the Wild, can squeeze this out.

Edit: Jesus ****ing Christ, Rangers... :(

Edited by Jordan

Do you know something I don't know about the Kings-Sharks game seven tonight? lol I'll be rooting for them to, as I have all three G7 picks on the line tonight.

I'm already nervous about the Rangers game...