Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
danielpholt

The NHL Thread

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who's gonna win the cup?

Do you know something I don't know about the Kings-Sharks game seven tonight? lol I'll be rooting for them to, as I have all three G7 picks on the line tonight.

I'm already nervous about the Rangers game...

Darn, I got too excited about the final score there and thus ahead of myself. lol

Kings and Rangers to win it and I've got six out of eight right. :fc:

Darn, I got too excited about the final score there and thus ahead of myself. lol

Kings and Rangers to win it and I've got six out of eight right. :fc:

That would be a hell of a job picking the winners.

Rangers-Flyers winner will have to be in Pittsburgh on Friday night following back-to-back games. No rest for the weary, thanks to the NBC networks... Although I suppose the Pens just get what they earned for winning the division and not needing the full 7 games in the first round.

Fantastic - that's all I can say!

Well done to the Kings and Rangers! :D

Jordan, we're on different sides on the ice in the next round. GO PENS!

My predictions:

Chicago - Minnesota: Chicago in 6

Anaheim - L.A. Kings: Anaheim in 7

Boston - Montreal: Boston in 7

Pittsburgh - N.Y. Rangers: Pittsburgh in 6

On a sidenote, the legend that is Jaromir Jagr has just re-signed with the Devils for another year.

Looking at his stats, he could actually overtake my childhood idol Super Mario in the all-time scoring table next season. If only Lemieux hadn't been plagued by all those injuries and that illness - he could've been right behind Gretzky.

Edited by MC Prussian

Nights like yesterday's are what the Stanley Cup playoffs were made for. Rangers hold on to defeat the rival Flyers, the Kings complete an improbable comeback from 3-0 down in the series... And how about El Niño stepping forward to be the hero for the Wild in what was truly an epic in Denver?

Pardon me for patting myself on the back, but although MCP nailed a few perfect picks, 'twas I that called all 8 series winners correctly lol. If we'll borrow the FIF system of 3 pts for the winner and 5 pts for calling the length of the series, it's:

Jordan 30

MC Prussian 28

Uncle Phil 16

There are still 35 points up for grabs here... Let's get our picks in today because Bruins vs Habs is tonight.

I'm going with:

Bruins in 6

Rangers in 6*

Wild in 7

Ducks in 6

*I know my Blueshirts are the underdog here, but there's just no way I can pick against them here! I think there's a good chance Rick Nash is going to break out this series... What I wouldn't give to see my boys send Crosby and Malkin to the golf course!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, well. There they go... Sad to see the Pens eliminated from the series, but when you lead 2-0 in the series and let it slide, you need to take a good hard look at yourself. Jordan's had his wish granted and I got the Blackhawks - Wild series right at least.

Off to the golf course. :)

Edited by MC Prussian

!!!!!!!!!

What a comeback by the Rangers! The Pens' lead was actually 3-1, and the Rangers looked like an exhausted team--a dead team, even. But the boys rallied together in spite of a horrible reception by the Garden "faithful" in games 3 and 4, and rallied harder after Martin St Louis returned to play Game 5 the day after his mother died. St. Louis' goal to open Game 6 on Mother's Day, in front of a revitalized Garden crowd that included his family, will be remembered as the signature moment of this series.

And oh yeah, Henrik Lundqvist was Henrik Lundqvist.

This is not only the first time the Rangers have ever come back from 3-1 down to win a series, but the first time they had ever beaten their nemesis Penguins in the playoffs (hey MCP, you gotta let us have it once). I'm really proud of this team.

For the Blueshirts, they get some much-needed rest after an insane early schedule before playing the winner of tonight's tasty Bruins-Habs Game 7. For the Pens, a shake-up may be in order. Crosby and Malkin, despite going missing for large portions of the two series, cannot be touched but there could be several other changes for a franchise that has been expecting a second Cup in the Crosby era, starting with management. Dan Bylsma's job appears to be in jeopardy, and Keith Jones of NBC said flat-out after the game that he expected Bylsma to be fired.

Give it up for the consistent Hawks, who finally figured out the way to beat the Wild at home, where they had been untouchable (hint: it involves great, great goaltending and a little "Showtime" from Patrick Kane). The Ducks can close it out vs the Kings tonight, but anything can happen in the SoCal series.

Looks like it's a two-horse race in the prediction "contest." Since Kings-Ducks Game 7 is tonight, and Rangers-Habs is an afternoon start tomorrow, let's pick now.

If Hawks vs Ducks, Hawks in 6

If Hawks vs Kings, Hawks in 6

Rangers in 6

Ducks are done.

Farewell, Teemu.

teemu-sl-fea.jpg?w=450

---

In the playoff prediction contest, it's USA 33-33 Switzerland after 2 rounds.

--

On a different subject, there are three ubiquitous sights in the Stanley Cup Playoffs: Bears, blood, and montage videos to open CBC's Hockey Night in Canada that will get you so pumped up, you'll just want to lace up your own skates and take a run at Zdeno Chara.

The first one this year--a general intro to the playoffs, featuring Metallica's "For Whom the Bell Tolls"--was an instant sensation, but Metallica being Metallica, all traces of the video disappeared online almost immediately after it was first uploaded. So, I'll give you last year's playoff intro (The Who - "Baba O'Reilly"):

With Boston and Montréal renewing their historic, nasty playoff rivalry, the montage possibilities were endless, and CBC's Tim Thompson made a few beauties.

The Game 1 intro, with Sam Roberts Band, is a brief history of the rivalry:

My favorite one of the series, though, was the intro to Game 5. Using Arcade Fire's "Rococo"  and Montréal's "The Illuminated Crowd" sculpture, it reviews Game 4 while depicting hockey and the Habs as religion in the city.

There are more (featuring Rush, Leonard Cohen, and of course Canada being Canada, one with The Tragically Hip). It's all very North American, but I just can't help but like it.

--

I am just so anxious for Rangers-Habs Game 1 to start this afternoon. I'm going to miss a beautiful sunny Saturday and the FA Cup Final, but I just don't give a ****--it's Rangers vs Canadiens in the goddamn Eastern Conference Final!

derek-stepan-martin-st.-louis-chris-krei

• 2 weeks later...

Jordan, are you still up, celebrating? :D

Congratulations to the Rangers for making it to the final for the first time in 20 years. Great job by Lundqvist in goal - blanking the Habs was always a tough ask, but he delivered.

Well done and get yourself the whole weekend for a proper piss-up!

Now wishing for a Rangers - Kings final.

Thanks, man! I was celebrating the series win well into Friday morning... I've got plenty more celebrating to do the rest of the weekend.

The Rangers may be a storied franchise, but also a franchise notorious for futility: their 4 Stanley Cup wins and 11 Final appearances are the fewest among the Original Six teams. Ten years ago, the Rangers finished outside the playoffs for the 7th consecutive season--a failure that's even more maddening when one considers the Rangers spent more money on their team's payroll during this time than any other team in the league. As much as I hated the NHL's recent labor strife, the league's salary cap has forced the Rangers to change their approach and culture--a change that has greatly improved the team's fortunes. Happy days like these don't come to the Garden often, so I'm really cherishing this playoff run. I remember 1994 like it was yesterday, but the 20 years since feel like 20 decades.

I feel like I've spent all season defending this team and telling pessimistic Rangers fans to get a grip. I pleaded with fans to give Alain Vigneault time to train the squad to believe in his philosophy, and the Rangers recovered from a poor start to finish the season strongly. I hate to bring this up again, but I was (and still am) angry at the way many fans booed the Rangers--who were exhausted following a grueling schedule--during and after that Game 4 loss to Pittsburgh. They've played great team hockey since and have shown great character. I'm really proud to be a fan of this team.

"AV," in his first season in New York, has learned from past setbacks to earn another chance at winning the Cup (meanwhile, ex-Rangers coach John Tortorella failed to even take Vigneault's former team, the Canucks, to the playoffs and was fired after one season in Vancouver). I'm happy for The King, Henrik Lundqvist; he is the bedrock of the team and more than worthy of a chance to win the Cup. When he eventually retires, his #30 will surely hang from the Garden rafters; I hope that banner will be joined by one commemorating a 2014 Stanley Cup win. Martin St. Louis has been one of my favorite players in the league for years, and I'm glad to see him wearing Rangers blue. He's had to answer doubters throughout his entire career--from coaches and scouts that always said he was too small, to Steve Yzerman, to Rangers fans following a slow start after his trade from Tampa Bay. The way he has composed himself since the death of his mother after Game 4 vs Pittsburgh has inspired his teammates. His goal on Mother's Day, his goal in Game 1 vs Montréal (the day before his mother's funeral in nearby Laval), and his Game 4 overtime winner on Sunday were like scenes from a Hollywood script.

I'm happy for Dominic Moore, the checking line center that originally had his debut in the league with the Rangers ten years ago. The last time Moore was in the playoffs (2012 with San Jose, his ninth team in as eight seasons), he left the team and walked away from hockey in the middle of a series when he learned his ailing wife had a rare and fatal form of liver cancer. She died just a few months later, and a grieving Moore did not play last season. This year, he returned to New York, was the unlikely goal-scoring hero to send the Blueshirts to the Cup Final, and is one of the three finalists for the Masterton Trophy.

Derek Stepan had his jaw broken by a dirty hit from his friend, ex-Ranger Brandon Prust, in Game 3 vs the Habs... but in typical hockey player fashion, he played 17 minutes afterwards, missed Game 4 to get jaw surgery, then scored two goals in Game 5 wearing a Bane-like shield. He will be on an all-liquid diet for the next five weeks.

We have "The Hobbit," Mats Zuccarello--from Norway and generously listed at 5'7", his success is perhaps the most unlikely of any NHLer's besides perhaps Anze Kopitar's. Zuccarello, Derick Brassard and Benoit Pouliot form the Rangers' third line, but they've been the team's most consistent forward unit, causing matchup headaches for the opposition. Marc Staal has recovered from past concussions and one of the scariest injuries I've ever seen (when he was struck in the eye by a puck in March 2013). He's lucky to even still be playing hockey, let alone playing for a Stanley Cup. There are Brad Richards and Rick Nash, two big names brought to the Garden to win, but two players that have often failed to live up to the fans' expectations. They have both played like veterans and done a lot to contribute to the team's success even when they haven't been scoring. Brian Boyle has a knack for raising his game in the spring. Chris Kreider and Carl Hagelin's breakneck speed, Brian Boyle winning draws... Derek Dorsett grinding... the Blueshirt's blue collar defense of McDonagh-Girardi, Staal-Stralman, and John Moore/Raphael Diaz-Kevin Klein... Oh and Dan "Carbomb" Carcillo putting a few past his old team, the Flyers (I'm so happy we beat those ****ers), now sitting out the rest of the playoffs after shoving a referee  lol . And GM Glen Sather, that ****... he spent years ruining this team, but he has made some shrewd, gutsy, and good trades over the past few seasons and has finally learned how to draft.

Unlike the 1994 team, which was a team of destiny, the 2014 Rangers will enter the Stanley Cup finals as the underdog vs the winner of Sunday's Blackhawks-Kings Game 7 (the quality of hockey in that series has been ridiculously great). But we've got a great group of guys wearing those blue sweaters, and I have faith they can bring the Holy Grail back to Broadway.

eastern-conference-champs.jpg

• 2 years later...

It's been a while since the last post in this thread, but I'd like to say farewell to the great Gordie Howe, the hockey maestro from Saskatoon, who yesterday passed away at the age of 88.

03_gordie_howe.jpg

Howe played his last NHL game in his fifties (!), his playing career spanned five (!) decades and he held the all-time scoring and all-time points record for a while until it was surpassed by Wayne Gretzky.

I'm sure the whole of Canada as well as the city of Detroit are in a state of mourning right now. R.I.P., legend.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-sport-nhl-howe-idUSKCN0YW1IF

Edited by MC Prussian

Nobody cares about the nhl when "canadian" teams arent in it other than the 2 us cities playing.

Congrats to pittsburgh though i'd rather they have won then the sharks so worked out i suppose.

No cdn teams in playoffs is not good for the nhl

Nobody cares about the nhl when "canadian" teams arent in it other than the 2 us cities playing.

Congrats to pittsburgh though i'd rather they have won then the sharks so worked out i suppose.

No cdn teams in playoffs is not good for the nhl

I dont know about that. Canada is watching the Stanley cup playoffs regardless of who is playing. Americans don't really care about Canadian teams challenging for the cup. We haven't had a team from Canada win the cup since what, 1993? We also haven't had a Canadian team in the final since Vancouver lost in 2011.

I think the TV ratings are bigger when you have original 6 teams in the cup final. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Cup_Finals_television_ratings

It's sad that Gordie Howe passed, but he definitely had a good run. I only wish our owner named the new stadium after Detroit's greatest hockey player, rather than a mediocre pizza franchise. 

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/why-were-2016-stanley-cup-playoff-ratings-so-disappointing-211112898.html

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/15306188/nhl-playoff-ratings-canada-nearly-60-percent-no-canadian-teams-left

http://spectorshockey.net/2016-nhl-playoffs-struggling-in-the-tv-ratings/

They were down overall across both countries.

Original 6 is absolutely required to keep ratings in both can and usa. About time candian teams pull someth8ng out of their rear ends lol

Edited by Jattdogg

• 1 year later...

Semi-finals are on right now.

Winnipeg - Las Vegas

Washington - Tampa Bay

Winnipeg - Washington for the final, then the Peg winning the trophy as the first Canadian team in 25 years would be a sweet success, especially after all the franchise had to go through and the city starved for hockey for 15 years in between 1996 and 2011.

WHITE NOISE!

• 4 weeks later...

The Washington Capitals have won the Stanley Cup for the very first time. Can't say I'm overly thrilled or eager to congratulate.

From a Pens fan perspective, it hurts to see your arch rival stem the trophy.

Was actually rooting for Las Vegas to win the title as the first newly-established team ever and with an eclectic roster made up of oldies, has-beens, third choices and newbies.

There's always next season... for Pittsburgh. :D