Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Don't Ever Love One Band Too Much

The second Sultans of Ping FC album was a massive letdown.

That's Forest fans for you

But they aren't; at the Granby Halls, the drummer proudly entered the stage wearing a City shirt, and the singer responded to the numpties who had spent the entire gig chanting Forest stuff by shouting "you Forest lot? You're just a bunch of wankers". Cue the chants of "Blue Army" from a section of the crowd.

Sultans of Ping FC played Granby Halls? Tell me it was a support slot.

Well, 'Give him a ball and a yard of grass' was supposedly about Nigel Clough, and they went on East Midlands today and said they were massive Forest fans, which is what made me think they were. That said, they're such a bunch of perverts that maybe they would happily make something like that up. They probably all support Cork, which would make more sense

I think 'Years of Refusal' is the best of the 3 post comeback albums, although it saddens me greatly that Alain Whyte doesn't play on it even though he still writes some of the tunes.

The opening track sounds like he's guesting on a Paramore song and I don't know what he's doing with his voice on it. Rest of the singles are okay, rest of the album is mediocre. I liked Ringleader quite a lot.

I enjoyed 'Ringleader' when it came out but to be honest I find it a little flat now, although I do really like 'Life is a Pigsty'. After a year of listening to YOR I definitely like it a lot more - there's just a lot more energy and drama to it. I think the drummer and bass player are both brilliant, it's just a shame that Jesse Tobias' guitar playing is so crushingly unsubtle. If there was that little bit more finesse to that side of it I think it would be a brilliant album, rather than just a good one.

I'm not expecting him to ever come out with anything as good as 'Vauxhall and I' again, but that's a very hard album to top, I think

Shouldnt every band disapoint you at some stage?

If they are consistently producing stuff i like... either they, or i, am not growing. :dunno: just a thought :)

hehe i just googled the Vengaboys looking for an amusing band to throw into the mix... and found with some laughter that...

their first album... " Up & Down - The Party Album! " was released in April 1998 and went gold across the world.

Their second album was released in Novemebr 1998 and was called... "Greatest Hits! Part 1" :crylaugh::crylaugh: which by the way.. did not go gold ANYWHERE :crylaugh:

That is classic Oz . :giggle:

Also a valid point.

Shouldnt every band disapoint you at some stage?

If they are consistently producing stuff i like... either they, or i, am not growing. :dunno: just a thought :)

no, not necessarily, that only applies if the band aren't developing either.

take blur for example, if they were still knocking out parklife soundalikes, then you'd be right, but they aren't they developed and changed.

whether or not you grow in a compatible fashion isn't guaranteed, so i suppose your point is valid in the sense that perhaps its not always about the band disappointing, sometimes it's down to the listeners taste changing...which i guess is the theory behind trav's new thread.

no, not necessarily, that only applies if the band aren't developing either.

take blur for example, if they were still knocking out parklife soundalikes, then you'd be right, but they aren't they developed and changed.

whether or not you grow in a compatible fashion isn't guaranteed, so i suppose your point is valid in the sense that perhaps its not always about the band disappointing, sometimes it's down to the listeners taste changing...which i guess is the theory behind trav's new thread.

Yeah, but Blur sort of reversed into being a good band. I don't rate their early stuff at all.

Portishead have always been very good. Massive Attack have faultered but I still enjoy them, maybe I 'loved' them too much. Tricky was brilliant, then poor, then good, then excellent, then back to good again.

Steve Albini has always been an excellent producer but not so good with his own stuff.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds were excellent, fooking excellent, then good and disappeared up his own a hole.

Spiritualized have always been good too.

Oasis have let me down, DBTT wasn't a great album. Lyla really did my head in, where it got to the point of not listening to it for a year. Its awesome live though. Standing on the shoulders of giants was not as bad as everyone made out it to be. Be Here Now was a awesome album in its own little way.

The Stone Roses are the biggest let downs in history, yes for our second album we'll get really fooking heavy and it sounded fooking awful.

Oasis have let me down, DBTT wasn't a great album. Lyla really did my head in, where it got to the point of not listening to it for a year. Its awesome live though. Standing on the shoulders of giants was not as bad as everyone made out it to be. Be Here Now was a awesome album in its own little way.

The Stone Roses are the biggest let downs in history, yes for our second album we'll get really fooking heavy and it sounded fooking awful.

I really like The Second Coming.

Yeah, but Blur sort of reversed into being a good band. I don't rate their early stuff at all.

i grew out of blur, when i grew out of indie-pop - i went into a phase of pretty much just listening to easy music like captain and tenille: coxon and late blur jarred with that... :unsure:

the point was tho, that blur developed as a band, so it was possible to like them from start to finish without stagnating.

I've been a massive Ash fan for years and they're currently putting out new tunes like there's no tomorrow. I'm absolutely loving it. a single every 2 weeks with a free bonus track every month at least. Has included some of their best ever work, no doubt.

P.S whilst you meant Zane Lowe, Alex Zane IS one of the most annoying humans on the planet

i grew out of blur, when i grew out of indie-pop - i went into a phase of pretty much just listening to easy music like captain and tenille: coxon and late blur jarred with that... :unsure:

the point was tho, that blur developed as a band, so it was possible to like them from start to finish without stagnating.

Fair point and I see where you're coming from.

I've been a massive Ash fan for years and they're currently putting out new tunes like there's no tomorrow. I'm absolutely loving it. a single every 2 weeks with a free bonus track every month at least. Has included some of their best ever work, no doubt.

P.S whilst you meant Zane Lowe, Alex Zane IS one of the most annoying humans on the planet

I love Ash and I really need to get their new download A-Z stuff.

I think being annoying is part of the job remit for being a Radio 1 DJ nowadays (or maybe I'm just getting old) Zane, Bowman, Whiley, Moyles, Cotton, Mills all annoy the tits off me! About the only ones I can stand are Greg James, Sarah Cox (who is just a hunny!) and Vernon Kay. Nick Grimshaw annoys me just for having a lisp. Putting a person with a lisp on radio is just cruel!

And when I say stand, I mean stand, wouldn't say I'm really keen on any of them.

yeah get involved, it's £13 for 26 singles (you'll be able to download the 14 already released instantly) and there's lots of bonus material.

all the singles stream on ash-official.com so check them out perhaps. Arcadia and Dionysian Urge my personal picks

Archived