Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

Don't Ever Love One Band Too Much

"Don't ever love one band too much, they will always let you down."

The words of Alex Zane on the Chris Moyles show that I caught this morning. Now most of what comes out of the annoying New Zealander's mouth is drivel, but, you know, he has a point. I can only think of a couple of bands that haven't let me down (usually to the end of their careers) and done something that I really can't stand. It's probably why I hate it when people ask, "what's your favourite band?"

The only bands I can think of who never let me down are The Pixies (and they only did 4 studio albums) and Radiohead. Of course there are a few bands that did one or two albums and then imploded, but you can't really count them. Can you really love a band that only did one album anyway? Love the album perhaps, but the band as such... I don't think so, cos they never went on to prove themselves.

Just thought I'd share this concept with you.

I take it you mean Zane Lowe and not Alex Zane... :whistle:

In terms of my favourite artists, I'd perhaps say Oasis have gone downhill since the 90s. The last album was a pretty dismal effort in relation to the mid-90s material, and for that reason I was barely fussed that they split up when they did. I think the time was right. They still remain one of my favourite artists, but I won't hesitate to skip through their newer works.

On the other end of the scale I'd probably say that Arctic Monkeys are my favourite artist and have not let me down in three albums yet. Not by a long way. Everything they've produced so far has been different, and not the same churned out recycled stuff you get from other bands. The fourth album will be the biggest test for them- where do they go from here now?

The Smiths haven't let me down, mainly because there's so much blind hatred between some of them now that the chances of a half arsed comeback are virtually nil, hurray.

Has Morrissey let me down? Yes and no...I learned to love even 'Kill Uncle' in the end, but I'm hard pressed to derive any enjoyment from some of the B sides of the last few years, when once upon a time every single track was essential

stereolab have been consistently good and have evolved over a long long career - mind you, what they do seems pretty easy for them and will never change the musical world...

i still enjoy the newer output of super furry animals, again because they have developed and changed their sound, having said that, they do appear to be on a downward trend.

From about 1996-2003 SFA didn't put a foot wrong as far as I was concerned, but I was less impressed with the stuff since until the last album, which I really enjoyed. Went to a couple of gigs a few years back that didn't excite me too much either, but The Somerset House show last summer, my first for AGES helped rekindle my love for them - I was surprised how much fun I had

Life would be so much easier if I was more one dimensional with my music taste and my bank balance would be loads healthier as well but I just can't do it!!

It makes you appreciate other music, other styles,so much to sample would have loved to have been more involved in the music business and really regret not going down that route.

Loving one band means you are missing out on so much

Life would be so much easier if I was more one dimensional with my music taste and my bank balance would be loads healthier as well but I just can't do it!!

It makes you appreciate other music, other styles,so much to sample would have loved to have been more involved in the music business and really regret not going down that route.

Here here.

I even own some Jazz albums.

mmmmm Jazz.

I didn't read it as only loving one band in total, more that have you ever loved a band/s with unabiding loyalty that inevitably they will eventually let you down.

On the other end of the scale I'd probably say that Arctic Monkeys are my favourite artist and have not let me down in three albums yet. Not by a long way. Everything they've produced so far has been different, and not the same churned out recycled stuff you get from other bands. The fourth album will be the biggest test for them- where do they go from here now?

My favourite artist aswell, but when do you reckon the next album will be out?

I didn't read it as only loving one band in total, more that have you ever loved a band/s with unabiding loyalty that inevitably they will eventually let you down.

That is what I meant :thumbup:

Radiohead - without question for me.

Possibly the Stereophonics - I don't always like every song on every album but they have a degree of consistency

Nirvana didn't let me down, though I did have tickets for Reading so shooting the back of his head off came at an inconvenient time for me.

Of all the other artists I like I struggle to think of any that have not produced dross..... James Taylor though is one I could chuck into the mix and maybe Van Morrisson - Dylan I love too but some of his stuff has been weak.

Metallica may have to be there or there abouts too...... hmm lots to ponder.

Radiohead - without question for me.

Possibly the Stereophonics - I don't always like every song on every album but they have a degree of consistency

Nirvana didn't let me down, though I did have tickets for Reading so shooting the back of his head off came at an inconvenient time for me.

Of all the other artists I like I struggle to think of any that have not produced dross..... James Taylor though is one I could chuck into the mix and maybe Van Morrisson - Dylan I love too but some of his stuff has been weak.

Metallica may have to be there or there abouts too...... hmm lots to ponder.

Metallica let me down after the Black album but Death Magnetic got me back into them again,I really dont know where they pulled that one out from after the 3 peices of shit they released previously.

Metallica let me down after the Black album but Death Magnetic got me back into them again,I really dont know where they pulled that one out from after the 3 peices of shit they released previously.

Yep, I liked the black album but then was it 'loaded and re-loaded' wasn't excellent.

Of course there are a few bands that did one or two albums and then imploded, but you can't really count them. Can you really love a band that only did one album anyway? Love the album perhaps, but the band as such... I don't think so, cos they never went on to prove themselves.

Nirvana don't come into the equation as they didn't get far enough down the road.

i still enjoy the newer output of super furry animals, again because they have developed and changed their sound, having said that, they do appear to be on a downward trend.

Forgotten all about them... I am now re discovering "Rings Around The World", god I loved that album. 9 bloody years ago?!?!?!?!?!?!

The Smiths haven't let me down, mainly because there's so much blind hatred between some of them now that the chances of a half arsed comeback are virtually nil, hurray.

Has Morrissey let me down? Yes and no...I learned to love even 'Kill Uncle' in the end, but I'm hard pressed to derive any enjoyment from some of the B sides of the last few years, when once upon a time every single track was essential

Only been into Morrissey for a year and I've got them all except the two between Vauxhall and I and his 'comeback'. The new album is actually terrible. He's lost the line between yearning and moaning.

Cobain - inconsiderate cunt

Only been into Morrissey for a year and I've got them all except the two between Vauxhall and I and his 'comeback'. The new album is actually terrible. He's lost the line between yearning and moaning.[/size]

I think 'Years of Refusal' is the best of the 3 post comeback albums, although it saddens me greatly that Alain Whyte doesn't play on it even though he still writes some of the tunes.

'Southpaw Grammar' and 'Maladjusted' are alright, the abuse the latter gets in particular being a a bit harsh. I'm not sure that the messing about with track listings and running order that the re-releases involved was worth it, but Morrissey obviously thought it was. I'm probably the only person in the world that likes the previously unreleased tracks that were included on the messed about Southpaw

Shouldnt every band disapoint you at some stage?

If they are consistently producing stuff i like... either they, or i, am not growing. :dunno: just a thought :)

hehe i just googled the Vengaboys looking for an amusing band to throw into the mix... and found with some laughter that...

their first album... " Up & Down - The Party Album! " was released in April 1998 and went gold across the world.

Their second album was released in Novemebr 1998 and was called... "Greatest Hits! Part 1" :crylaugh::crylaugh: which by the way.. did not go gold ANYWHERE :crylaugh:

Archived