Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Gerrin A New Laptop

No worries, I'll keep a look out... Another website to try is e-buyer.

I appreciate your help though fella - it just seems that John Lewis is one of the few places that automatically gives a 2 year warranty. I've owned 2 laptops previously and they have both broken down over a year later but before theyre two years old, so i dont wanna make the same mistake. And if it is in warranty from an online outlet, its sending it off, being without it for weeks etc thats the issue.

If you could nudge me in the right direction with regards to the two i've pointed out (processors really, i know sod all) or maybe somethign similar on John Lewis that would be superb.

Cheers.

I appreciate your help though fella - it just seems that John Lewis is one of the few places that automatically gives a 2 year warranty. I've owned 2 laptops previously and they have both broken down over a year later but before theyre two years old, so i dont wanna make the same mistake. And if it is in warranty from an online outlet, its sending it off, being without it for weeks etc thats the issue.

If you could nudge me in the right direction with regards to the two i've pointed out (processors really, i know sod all) or maybe somethign similar on John Lewis that would be superb.

Cheers.

Tough call, processor on the HP is alright but on the Acer it's really good... BUT the Acer is integrated graphics and a smaller screen... I'll have a good luck on my lunchbreak at what else they have, what's your ideal budget?

Tough call, processor on the HP is alright but on the Acer it's really good... BUT the Acer is integrated graphics and a smaller screen... I'll have a good luck on my lunchbreak at what else they have, what's your ideal budget?

What does the integrated graphics mean? I dont think i'll be playing many games on it if thats its major thing. Also I do like the smaller screen of the Acer - 15.6" always seems a bit big to be sat on your lap for me but I dont wanna pay over the odds for a smaller screen, will get a 15.6" if need be.

I wouldnt really wanna spend more than £600 budget wise.

Ta mate.

Integrated graphics cards are just basic, is it just the likes of FM your going to run on it? If that's the case it should be fine as they aren't demanding games but the processor and RAM should cope really well.

I think the integrated graphics card will struggle with most games, I'll have a look at what they have and will let you know bud.

Integrated graphics cards are just basic, is it just the likes of FM your going to run on it? If that's the case it should be fine as they aren't demanding games but the processor and RAM should cope really well.

I think the integrated graphics card will struggle with most games, I'll have a look at what they have and will let you know bud.

Yeah wont be anything more than FM really, if that to be honest. For what I want to do on it, i'm probably well over-specced but it just want one with a good warranty and one where the processor/ram etc wont be well outdated in 6-12 months, sort of future proof for a few years (as much as you can with laptops anyway).

Get the second one - already sounds like you've made you're mind up. It sounds ace®.

lol

Not made my mind up yet, but definitely edging towards the Acer. It just seems to represent better value for money. Hard drives are relatively cheap, processors are not from what I understand, and although the HP has more GB, the Acer has a much better processor and is the size I want for the same price.

The HP is cool though. Has good sound (has the beats by dre speakers or something like that) and has cool little features like backlit keyboard, backlit trackpad etc...its just the processor.

I'll be honest though, if the Acer was a bit better looking I doubt id be on here. Not keen on the blue finish really.

Right bud I went into the store and found a HP Pavillion DV6 3044SA and your specs are:

Processor: i5 450

Ram: 3GB

Hard Drive: 320GB

Graphics card: ATI Mobility Radeon hd

15.6" screen

All this for £480 but it is reduced to clear... Get down pronto :)

Right bud I went into the store and found a HP Pavillion DV6 3044SA and your specs are:

Processor: i5 450

Ram: 3GB

Hard Drive: 320GB

Graphics card: ATI Mobility Radeon hd

15.6" screen

All this for £480 but it is reduced to clear... Get down pronto :)

Just been down and had a look - i must not of noticed this one this morning.

Checked it out and its nice actually, but i think i'm gona plump to pay a bit more money for a brand new one with a bit better spec - if i'm gona have this for over a couple of years I dont mind payin a bit extra.

Thanks so much for your help though, legend

:thumbup:

Integrated graphics for FM will be pushing it, if not redundant on most machines (for 3D, maybe not 2D), especially as each year the demands on the machine seem to be increasing.

Just been down and had a look - i must not of noticed this one this morning.

Checked it out and its nice actually, but i think i'm gona plump to pay a bit more money for a brand new one with a bit better spec - if i'm gona have this for over a couple of years I dont mind payin a bit extra.

Thanks so much for your help though, legend

:thumbup:

No worries, sorry I couldn't have been more help but I'll have a proper look later for you.

Integrated graphics for FM will be pushing it, if not redundant on most machines (for 3D, maybe not 2D), especially as each year the demands on the machine seem to be increasing.

I agree with this.

Becaus, my machine a Compaq Presario which I have had for 5 years now. I can't afford a new PC, so I keep upgrading it, plus its been loyal to me and its fantastic. Anyway, all previous versions of Football manager ran great, but this years 2011 version didn't run and lagged very bad even on 2D which I always use.

It was because my graphics were integrated and weren't good enough for the demands of the game which increase every year. I had to buy a new graphics card but football manager 2011 now runs fast and smooth again.

In other words, take note of DB11's post.

Right, I need to sort out a laptop for Uni.

Basic internet, word processing & running FM is all I want, budget of £330.

Some decent Acer laptops going cheap atm, i'll try dig out the website .. picked one up myself for 299.99 .. that included insurance, works like a dream. :thumbup:

FM isn't a demanding game if ran basic.. I.e. No 3D gameplay and database sizes being quite small but that was my set up on my old laptop and it was terrible.

Pretty much anything will do those items you ask but if you want to know what's best for your money than let me know and I'll see what I can do.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

looking at getting either the acer aspire 5750g or lenovo ideapad z570 anyone have one of these?

I've got an Acer Aspire 5740 and would recommend it as long as you don't want to play top end games. Obviously the model you've mentioned might have completely different spec but my Aspire has been great for the year or so I've had it.

• 8 months later...

Well I need a new one as mine is being taken away from me. Any advances in Laptop technology in the last year that I need to look out for? Or am I looking along the same lines again?

Anyone got any cheap and cheerful websites to look into?

Well I need a new one as mine is being taken away from me. Any advances in Laptop technology in the last year that I need to look out for? Or am I looking along the same lines again?

Anyone got any cheap and cheerful websites to look into?

Forget cheap - sell your soul and get a Mac. Join us cool kids in the coffee shop and relax in an air of smug self-congratulation.

Four years - not one virus, not one op sys reinstall and seamless integration with other Apple products.

Ein volk, ein reich, ein MäcbookPro!

Archived