Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Any protein shake drinkers on here?

I ended up buying some Impact Whey and them BCAA things cos they are apparently awesome.

If I start looking into the best brand and which one has the most bad things in it I'll be here all week and I just can't be arsed, so I just went for it. Like I say I've been meaning to get on the stuff for ages and keep putting it off because of different things everyone keeps saying.

We'll see it how it goes.

Different brands are all a lot of noise. Whey is just powdered milk. If you're buying a brand then you are paying for the marketing and the packaging, so buy the cheapest powder possible in bulk.

Likewise weight gainers are almost always some simple sugary carbs like maltodextrin and/or dextrose which you can buy in bulk (on myprotein and elsewhere).

There is no best time or method to take a shake. It is recommended that you consume protein soon after a workout so a lot of people take a shake in the changing rooms or on their way home. Other than that shakes are fully interchangeable with real meals.

Work out your maintenence calorie intake (use an online calculator), aim for that +500 cals each day without too much (ideally without any) of it coming from sugar, stack carbs towards the front end of the day and keep your protein intake up above at least 100g per day, and that's all you really need to know.

Likewise weight gainers are almost always some simple sugary carbs like maltodextrin and/or dextrose which you can buy in bulk (on myprotein and elsewhere).

Would you suggest doing this? What are they, tablet type things or something?

Different brands are all a lot of noise. Whey is just powdered milk. If you're buying a brand then you are paying for the marketing and the packaging, so buy the cheapest powder possible in bulk.

There is no best time or method to take a shake. It is recommended that you consume protein soon after a workout so a lot of people take a shake in the changing rooms or on their way home. Other than that shakes are fully interchangeable with real meals.

Work out your maintenence calorie intake (use an online calculator), aim for that +500 cals each day without too much (ideally without any) of it coming from sugar, stack carbs towards the front end of the day and keep your protein intake up above at least 100g per day, and that's all you really need to know.

That's not necessarily true, some brands still add Aspartame to their whey as a sweetner (avoid) but then some also add L-Glutamine.

I wouldn't get a weight gainer as they're filled with suger/filler like someone else said. You're better off just eating more. Then buying seperate things and putting them in your shake. If you get BCAA's be prepared, they taste like utter shit--best to take them with water, because no matter what you put them with they will overpower the taste.

I know sh*t about protein shake drinks, would never touch them with a ten-foot pole. Work of the devil.

On a sidenote, I haven't listened to my Harlem Shakes album for quite a while now.

I shall overcome that deficit shortly.

Would you suggest doing this? What are they, tablet type things or something?

From myprotein they come in powder form, looks like a fine sugar and tastes sweet too. I'm not an expert, but from what I gather both malto and dextrose are more or less empty calories, they have no nutrients or anything, they are just pure carbohydrate. They are good to consume with your post workout shake as will help to replenish depleted glycogen stores quickly which should aid recovery and thus growth. Carbs also spike insulin which I think is generally considered to be a good thing immediately post workout.

But in terms of just general weight gain, much like whey protein the main benefit of these carbs is convenience. If you struggle to reach your target calorie intake, you can use them to easily mix up and consume a high calorie drink. Good for early in the day and pre-workout imo, I wouldn't consume any late at night as that would probably lead to fat gain

My advise is get a whole lot of self motivation and try not to worry abotu drinking x amount of protein and doing x amount of work. Aim for the long term, so make sure you always go 3 times a week and your eating plenty of food. You will be fine. Good breakfast is 4/5 eggs on 2 pieces of toast.

Archived