Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bryn

Pearson's record signings

Was chatting to another team's supporter a bit ago and we were talking about how Pearson is unlikely to splash cash like Sven. It got me onto thinking about what is the most he would spend. I'm under the impression he probably hasn't spent more than a million on a player in his career?

As far as I can think, we've got players like Marshall, Morgan, Gallagher, Wellens who all cost about a million. Big Steve was about £1.5m but was before Pearson, and Waghorn and those who followed under the Thais were after Pearson. Am I wrong? Can anyone list, say, Pearson's top 5/10 most expensive transfers? At any of his clubs.

I think Pearson would spend £3million + on Chester

You see, I don't. I think he'd chance his arm at finding another James Chester, rather than buy the same guy he's already bought once for a bigger fee.

Anyone remember when we broke our transfer record by signing Mark Blake for £360 000? This beat our long-standing record of £350 000 for Tommy Wright.

My point is, £1 million seems almost like the minimum figure we would pay on a player these days. Fees below this seem like small change.

Now I don't think it is progress necessarily in football in general, but it definitely is better supporting a club which spends money rather than one which doesn't.

There is a big difference between spending what is needed, being tight-arsed and splashing a wad on anything with two feet.

I think Pearson will do the former.

Archived