Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Voll Blau

Fair Play to Derby - Standing Up!

No charge. All I expect you guys to do is (a) provide two or three strong helpers to help unload / load up the gear and (b) to get as many influential people as possible to attend (e.g. club officials, councillors, police, MPs, media, fans' representatives).

Any volunteers?

I'm sure they'll be plenty of fans around on the day to help out, it's more important to get some of those influential people there, that is the difficult task.

Get the Merc and RL involved to publicise it.

I think that even with it being proven safe on the continent, the outdated stigma attatched to terracing here following Hillsborough will (unfairly) hinder any attempts to introduce it.

It was a tragedy, yes, but it's pretty much established now that it was terrible policing, draconian cage fences and poor crowd control that led to the overcrowding that then led to Hillsborough, not terracing itself. Call me controversial, but I'd say many of the Liverpool fans that showed up in Sheffield and flooded the stands that day without presenting a ticket or attempting to buy one were just as to blame for the ensuing chaos as the set-up itself. But because they're "such a big club" with "so much historeeee" it's become taboo to question their behaviour that day.

And it's their refusal to accept partial blame for Hillsborough, and that resultant taboo, that has made real, balanced discussion about safe standing in British football nigh-on impossible. But as we've seen so many times, Liverpool will never accept they're in the wrong about anything - proven again with the Suarez scandal - and they continue to be a negative thorn in the side of modernising the game.

:appl:

The immense irony of the fact they all stand away from home too.

Great work Stu. :thumbup:

Would have loved to help out, but sadly don't think I'll be anywhere near Leicester when it comes to town.

My bit of advice would be to make sure you contact the news desk at the Mercury rather than sports desk by the way.

No charge. All I expect you guys to do is (a) provide two or three strong helpers to help unload / load up the gear and (b) to get as many influential people as possible to attend (e.g. club officials, councillors, police, MPs, media, fans' representatives).

Any volunteers?

I live in Leicester South, so I'll get on to Jonathan Ashworth and my local councillors. Could do with turning around some Tories from the county if anyone in those constituencies wants to write.

Any volunteers?

The mayor, Sir Peter Soulsby, has apparently discussed the issue of standing with LCFC and supported the Ten Minute Motion put forward by Don Foster regarding his Safe Standing Bill. He'd be an excellent man to get on board, may write to him again.

Other than that, you're talking club officials and MPs who are supportive. I daresay the representatives of Safe Standing Roadshow will put to bed all of the myths that surround standing in grounds.

The mayor, Sir Peter Soulsby, has apparently discussed the issue of standing with LCFC and supported the Ten Minute Motion put forward by Don Foster regarding his Safe Standing Bill. He'd be an excellent man to get on board, may write to him again.

Other than that, you're talking club officials and MPs who are supportive. I daresay the representatives of Safe Standing Roadshow will put to bed all of the myths that surround standing in grounds.

Once its confirmed then, will you write to him again? I know Andrew bridgen was interested too so ill email him.

Great news, Sarah from the Counting House is a top girl and very supportive of local sport in general.

Stu if you want any cops to attend let me know as I have access to them so could easily ask them.

Once its confirmed then, will you write to him again? I know Andrew bridgen was interested too so ill email him.

Shouldn't be a problem, six week holidays start on Wednesday so I'll have time on my hands. :whistle:

Great news, Sarah from the Counting House is a top girl and very supportive of local sport in general.

Stu if you want any cops to attend let me know as I have access to them so could easily ask them.

Of course. Any influence or support whether it be official or otherwise will be fantastic. Ideally we'd want anyone with any influence whatsoever to attend. No need to ask, get them down! :)

We just need as many fans as possible down. John from the roadshow has given me a contact from the FSF who has a petition sheet that can be printed off and filled in by fans to be then added to his list to be sent to the government. As long as we get the fans down then things will run smoothly

Archived