Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Voll Blau

Fair Play to Derby - Standing Up!

Now officially in support of safe standing. Would require a lot more fan pressure to get LCFC (and one bloke in particular) to finally stop acting like whiny little bitches and realise this is something the fans want - choice in how they watch the game.

Nick has also spoken to Derby County manager Nigel Clough about his visit. Clough

confirmed that the club had seen a demonstration of rail seats and supported the

concept: “As a club that places great importance on customer care, we recognise that

a not insignificant number of our fans prefer to watch football standing up, but we

currently do not have the opportunity to satisfy this customer preference,” he said.

“However, having seen a demonstration of rail seats, we believe that the concept has

merit and could provide us with a safe and well-managed means of doing so. We

therefore request that the relevant authorities take a close look at the rail seat system

with a view to defining appropriate criteria under which it could be introduced in

future at grounds such as ours.”

With Derby County thus echoing the interest in safe standing expressed in January by

Aston Villa and with trials of areas fitted with rail seats sanctioned by the Scottish

Premier League last December, Nick is now hoping that he won’t have to wait too

long until he attends the official opening of a safe standing area at Pride Park!

http://www.bristolcityst.org.uk/pdf/Nick%20Webster%20press%20release.pdf

There has never been an excuse to deny us the chance to stand at football matches given the roaring success of safe standing on the continent.

One would hope that the approval of it in principle at a modern stadium in our division less than an hour down the road would spark something.

Rail seating is perhaps the most realistic method available. Minimal conversion needed for UEFA games as the seat is always in the frame, no need for the area to have more capacity than the exits and concourses than they were designed to deal with and a rail on each row to prevent any instances of crowd surging. I'm no engineer, but I would imagine there'd also be little to no issue with the gradient of the stand being too steep; a problem that has been noted with converting a seated area to older style terracing in the past.

If anything, rail seating in L1 and K1 in particular would be safer than the status quo for the reason of crowd surge especially. Having had a season ticket there, I've lost count of the number of times I've tripped over seats in front of me during particularly messy goal celebrations. Rail seating would be the best thing this club ever did for its fans and is the closest we will ever get to terracing again at the KP.

For many reasons, it's clearly a common sense solution. L1, in spite of a certain individual's grandiose promises, will never be made to sit en masse. A few rows on the front perhaps but towards the back? Not a chance. It's apparent that the overwhelming majority of fans in L and K want to stand now, so surely supporting rail seating is not only taking into account what the club's supporters want; but also takes into account their safety.

Nevertheless, we would have to hope that this positive development becomes a flood of clubs rather than a trickle before it's considered here though. We don't exactly have the right man in charge of crowd management to be even remotely pioneering. As positive as Derby's statement is, I won't be expecting to see progress on this front when I make my way down to the KP next season.

Guest MattP

Some people will look absolutely ridiculous in 10-15 years when this has been implemented with complete success virtually everywhere.

The crowd surges, swaying and movement from a packed Kop were part of the 'standing experience' and atmosphere back in the day, though i would be in favour of this and it would be great to stand again i feel it may be a bit stale in comparison and not improve the atmosphere as some people hope. I know we are never going to go back to how it used to be however.

Also would this increase capacity, e.g if we took 5000 seats out and put the rail seating in would we then having 7500 standing spaces?

The crowd surges, swaying and movement from a packed Kop were part of the 'standing experience' and atmosphere back in the day, though i would be in favour of this and it would be great to stand again i feel it may be a bit stale in comparison and not improve the atmosphere as some people hope. I know we are never going to go back to how it used to be however.

Also would this increase capacity, e.g if we took 5000 seats out and put the rail seating in would we then having 7500 standing spaces?

In all probability no.

The exits and concourses at the KP and all modern British stadia have been designed with the seated capacity in mind, so any increase in capacity without expanding these elements would be quickly nipped in the bud. Therefore, the KP would still have a capacity of 32,500ish even with rail seating in place without extremely costly structural work.

However, what it would do is officially sanction standing in certain areas and make the experience a whole lot safer as surging and falling over seats at shin level would be eradicated.

Furthermore, a lot of the stands and stadia built in the immediate wake of the Taylor Report are more than 20 years old by now and many will need replacing or renovating within the next decade. If safe standing is a reality by then, we may well move closer to German style safe standing that allows for safer surging and swaying as seen in places like Dortmund.

So we'd more than likely start with something like this as a feasible conversion of all-seater areas.

EheimHoff602.jpg

Then we'd see purpose built safe standing areas as old all-seaters are replaced like this.

kombi.jpg

I said I would before and I will try and get that safestanding roadshow down to the kazkizini bar (joined onto the holiday inn) so fans coming to the game can look in on the way past. Im gonna aim for the first game of the season

If you do arrange this, let us know and we will publicise it on the Trust website.

The topic did crop up at the last FCC meeting, and the club did not see it as a priority, feeling they would want to focus on other stadium improvements, such as in the Family Stand ahead of looking at Safe Standing, so while worth getting greater fan awareness of what the seating would be like, currently we don't think our club would lead the way in making changes.

The club also said it was actually easier to retro fit these new seats in older grounds, where the step levels may have already been set for standing, in comparison to new ones, where more expensive modifications would be necessary.

If you do arrange this, let us know and we will publicise it on the Trust website.

The topic did crop up at the last FCC meeting, and the club did not see it as a priority, feeling they would want to focus on other stadium improvements, such as in the Family Stand ahead of looking at Safe Standing, so while worth getting greater fan awareness of what the seating would be like, currently we don't think our club would lead the way in making changes.

The club also said it was actually easier to retro fit these new seats in older grounds, where the step levels may have already been set for standing, in comparison to new ones, where more expensive modifications would be necessary.

They surprise us.

Would love to get safe standing at Hillsborough but never going to happen

I'd have thought your Kop would be a prime candidate for it.

It'd be pretty damned spectacular as well.

I dont know why Im surprised at the club but I am surprised that they're not interested in being one of the first to give safe standing a go. Theyve got a perfect area to trial it, it must be safer than standing in seated areas, and a group of fans who want to create an atmosphere. Id have thought the owners would want to be at the forefront of something different especially as it would aid their mantra of improving the matchday experience. I hope they reconsider this year and hopefully a group of our fans can push them into trialling it.

Im also surprised with Peterborough developing their ground, that they haven't been asked to trial it, that seems the perfect oppurtunity to me

Hi Foxes Trust,

May see you on Saturday, if you're at the FSF/SD do in London. The club is wrong about retrofitting to a newish ground - it's probably easier than in an old ground, as the concrete is better and the risers of each step higher. However, the only way to find out for sure is to have them take a proper look at rail seats and get the existing stands measured up. I'm happy to bring the roadshow up to Leicester whenever you can arrange it with the club - in public or behind closed doors. Let me know: safe.standing @ gmx.com

Cheers! And well done to Nick at Derby!

This suggestion and implementation for "safe standing" is already about a decade overdue in my opinion - as a decade ago in 2002 (pinch myself that is actually the case already!), Hillsborough's Liverpool v Forest FA Cup semi tragedy was already n the history books by 13 years!! I hope common sense prevails and realises that even back in 1989, Hillsborough was virtually a "one off", not an accident waiting to happen. Though I suppose the families/friends of the 96 who perished in 1989 will be more cautious about this notion of re-introducing safe standing, it would surely bring back more ,uch needed atmosphere to largely sterile and staid atmospheres in grounds throughout the land.

Having been at two games where I was genuinely in fear of being crushed to death following City - Charlton away at Upton Park and Man City away in the cup, I am not a big fan of the concept - it seems OK now because the fans are separated by the seating but it doesn't work for me....

Bilo for safe standing spokesman.

He definitely has the knowledge. Maybe in light of Derby's official support of the concept it'd be worth asking the club again. It'd be more beneficial to us if it was on the grounds premises as then employees of the club would be able to take an official interest. For example I could hardly see NP sneaking off to the kazkazini car park for a look.

Archived