Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ricey

Lovell Stays at Dundee

It's official, the guy obviously wanted to stay in Scotland...
Aberdeen have signed Steve Lovell from Dundee for a fee believed to be about £250,000 and the striker will be unveiled at a Thursday news conference. The Dons contacted relegated Dundee after the 24-year-old rejected a transfer to Leicester City.

Lovell said: "Everything has been agreed. I always wanted to stay in Scotland if I could."

But trialist striker Piotr Wlodarczyk's hopes of a move could be hampered by problems at home club Legia Warsaw.

Wlodarczyk is expected to play in Thursday's friendly against Highland League outfit Fraserburgh having already scored in the 2-0 win away to Montrose on Tuesday.

Aberdeen manager Jimmy Calderwood is anxious to improve his striking options after some lean spells last season and hopes that his long pursuit of Lovell is coming to a conclusion.

We thought he was going to Leicester

Dundee manager Jim Duffy

"I'm delighted because he is a player we have been tracking for well over a year now," he said.

Dundee manager Jim Duffy had expected Lovell to return to his English homeland.

"We thought he was going to Leicester, but we respect his choice," said Duffy.

"He seemed happy with what their manager, Craig Levein, had to say and the terms being offered."

Lovell spent a few days mulling over the offer from Championship club Leicester before choosing to stay with Dundee for the time being.

Levein told his club's website of Lovell's reasoning for not moving south.

"After discussing the issue with his family back in Scotland, Steve felt that it wasn't the right move for him at this moment in time," he said.

Meanwhile, trialist Henry McStay, the Republic of Ireland Under-21 international, also played against Montrose and will find out soon if he is to be offered a contract.

137859[/snapback]

Thanks for wasting our time and money chum!!!!

Hello,

Yet another Aberdeen FC fan here.

Regards Lovell, i believe the reason he never joined Leciester was because his Girlfriend didnt want to leave Scotland. He was actually pretty much forced out as i believe he had a Clause in his contract that meant he would get a pay rise every year he was at Dundee. Now that Dundee have been relegated the club asked him to take a drop in wages.

Moving to Aberdeen (as was confirmed today) means he is likely to have taken a drop in wages but he will still be playing in the top flight football and pleasing his girlfriend as the journey from Dundee and Aberdeen is about 1 hour so its still possible for them to remain where they are in Dundee while he commutes to Aberdeen.

It seemed like the best decision for him.

Hello,

Regards Lovell, i believe the reason he never joined Leciester was because his Girlfriend didnt want to leave Scotland.  He was actually pretty much forced out as i believe he had a Clause in his contract that meant he would get a pay rise every year he was at Dundee.  Now that Dundee have been relegated the club asked him to take a drop in wages.

Moving to Aberdeen (as was confirmed today) means he is likely to have taken a drop in wages but he will still be playing in the top flight football and pleasing his girlfriend as the journey from Dundee and Aberdeen is about 1 hour so its still possible for them to remain where they are in Dundee while he commutes to Aberdeen.

137945[/snapback]

Oh well. Good luck to Aberdeen. ;)

Hello,

Regards Lovell, i believe the reason he never joined Leciester was because his Girlfriend didnt want to leave Scotland.  He was actually pretty much forced out as i believe he had a Clause in his contract that meant he would get a pay rise every year he was at Dundee.  Now that Dundee have been relegated the club asked him to take a drop in wages.

137945[/snapback]

seems that way and to be fair it is a long way to come down to play football....good luck next season Aberdeen, hope Lovells goals get you far :)

Hello,

137945[/snapback]

seems that way and to be fair it is a long way to come down to play football....good luck next season Aberdeen, hope Lovells goals get you far :)

137954[/snapback]

Thank you, and i am sure they will be great for Aberdeen next season.

Just for the record, i am a Leciester fan and i have been trying to keep tabs on how Levein is doing ever since he left Hearts in Scotland.

I might just hang around for a bit and see if i can catch onto more thats happening at Leciester.

Lovell explains foxes snub 14/07/05

New Aberdeen striker Steve Lovell admits the prospect of staying in his adopted homeland convinced him to reject Leicester.

The 24-year-old has signed a three-year contract at Pittodrie to complete his move from Dundee in a deal worth around £250,000. But the Amersham-born forward rejected the opportunity to move to the Walkers Stadium earlier this week, preferring to remain north of the border.

Lovell said: "It didn't feel right and I am not going to do something when I don't feel 100% about it."

He added: "I have enjoyed my time in Scotland. I have had three up and down years at Dundee, but I see Scotland as my home and I am quite content to stay here.

"I went down to Leicester and got offered a better financial deal, but it's not always about the money. I feel this is the right move for me."

Aberdeen boss Jimmy Calderwood has finally got his man after a lengthy pursuit of the ex-Portsmouth striker.

But Lovell concedes leaving Dens Park after three seasons was not an easy decision.

He added: "I love Dundee and it was hard to leave, but there are times when you have to move on.

"Dundee needed the money and it was a good time for me to further my career. It has worked out well in that respect".

Im pleased we didnt sign him as he seems to lack ambition. if he puts his girlfriend before succeeding as a footballer then he wouldnt have fit the bill at the Walkers stadium. If he would rather stay in Scotland instead of coming and tryin to better himself and test himslef at a higher level then he for me doesnt show the passion required rto succeed at LCFC.

Im pleased we didnt sign him as he seems to lack ambition. if he puts his girlfriend before succeeding as a footballer then he wouldnt have fit the bill at the Walkers stadium. If he would rather stay in Scotland instead of coming and tryin to better himself and test himslef at a higher level then he for me doesnt show the passion required rto succeed at LCFC.

138011[/snapback]

I cannot believe this is the attitude some people have towards Scottish football. I suppose you would be one of the people that thinks that there are only 2 good clubs in Scotland (that being the Old Firm)?

Something wrong here.

If this is the case, then you all must have been worrying when you heard that Levein was being appointed as your boss last year? i mean afterall he was the manager of a crappy team :rolleyes:

138011[/snapback]

I cannot believe this is the attitude some people have towards Scottish football. I suppose you would be one of the people that thinks that there are only 2 good clubs in Scotland (that being the Old Firm)?

Something wrong here.

If this is the case, then you all must have been worrying when you heard that Levein was being appointed as your boss last year? i mean afterall he was the manager of a crappy team :rolleyes:

138035[/snapback]

Yes Rangers + Celtic are the only decent clubs in Scotland, that is why they have dominated 4 the last 100 years. No,i didnt personally worry because we were getting a manager from Scotland because I feel that managers can make the step-up, for example if we were getting a manager from League 2, he would probably do the same job just with better qaulity players and on a bigger stage. Just look at Sir Alex Ferguson he started in Scotland, i think for Stirling? I am not sure. Also Wenger was in Japan, Mourinho was a translator, O'Neill was at Wycombe. They all have to start somewhere.

Yes Rangers + Celtic are the only decent clubs in Scotland, that is why they have dominated 4 the last 100 years.

What a muppet. If you would actually expand your pea-size UK football knowledge a little, you'd know that Aberdeen won the European Cup Winners Cup in 1983, AND the Super cup.

Two European trophies on one season?

And you say Rangers and Celtic have dominated Scotland for the past 100 years.

Get a grip.

Aberdeen are the most successul Scottish team who have played in europe. FACT.

And if Celtic and Rangers are so hard to beat, how did we beat Celtic last season, draw with Rangers, Dundee United beat Rangers, Motherwell beat Celtic, Hibs beat Celtic.

Exactly.

MUPPET.

Yes Rangers + Celtic are the only decent clubs in Scotland, that is why they have dominated 4 the last 100 years.

What a muppet. If you would actually expand your pea-size UK football knowledge a little, you'd know that Aberdeen won the European Cup Winners Cup in 1983, AND the Super cup.

Get a grip.

And if Celtic and Rangers are so hard to beat, how did we beat Celtic last season, draw with Rangers, Dundee United beat Rangers, Motherwell beat Celtic, Hibs beat Celtic.

Exactly.

MUPPET.

138088[/snapback]

That's better some facts and a worthwhile response, I happen to agree with you, so much more intelligent than your first post.

Welcome to Foxestalk the home of intelligent football conversation and banter, well most of it is! ;)

Get a grip.

Exactly.

MUPPET.

138088[/snapback]

How come they finished about 30 points ahead of you then? And how many league titles have they got compared 2 you? I do believe that rangers have reached 50 and Celtic are closing in on the 50 mark, so how there isn't many years left.

Yeah, there's always some that can't see further than their own back yards.

I can't believe the abuse Lovell has got either. It's not as if his signing was going to be crucial to our chances of promotion.

Good luck to him. I'm 100% not arsed about any of this.

I can't believe the abuse Lovell has got either.  It's not as if his signing was going to be crucial to our chances of promotion.

Good luck to him.  I'm 100% not arsed about any of this.

138098[/snapback]

He hasnt got that much abuse, well i havnt given him any.

Get a grip.

Exactly.

MUPPET.

138088[/snapback]

How come they finished about 30 points ahead of you then? And how many league titles have they got compared 2 you? I do believe that rangers have reached 50 and Celtic are closing in on the 50 mark, so how there isn't many years left.

138096[/snapback]

Yes, but then, you probobly wouldn't know that the population of Glasgow is about 800,000. That's near enough to 4 times the size of Aberdeen.

Rangers and Celtic pull in crowds of 50k + every week. They get more publicity, more ticket sales money, they get near enough to ALL the TV money from Setanta. Whilst the rest of the SPL clubs have to rely on ticket sales and merch, sponsors etc.

If you knew anything about Scottish football you would understand, but obviously not.

I might stick around.

I hate that Jambo tink Levein after all.  :D

What's the general opinion of him on here?

I think most people believe him to be an intelligent (unusual for a Scot  ;) ) manager who knows what he wants and is determined to get it. He obviously can't stand posers and mercenaries.

Do you rate him at all? What do you make of him looking to Scotland for new signing targets :mellow:

We're pretty hopeful that he can turn the club around after the disaster that was Peter Taylor, the limited ability of Micky Adams and the dinasaur that was Bassett. I have no problem with him looking towards Scotland anymore than anywhere else, I think all footy fans would like to see more local lads in their team but that takes time and most club management (directors)  have a short term view much like politicians. Most of his Scottish signings haven't actually been Scots. We're all pretty happy with Hughes, the juries out on Douglas who doesn't come with a strong recommendation.

138094[/snapback]

I can't believe the abuse Lovell has got either.  It's not as if his signing was going to be crucial to our chances of promotion.

138098[/snapback]

138103[/snapback]

Generally, he has though. I wasn't pointing the finger. ;)

I just feel that we've lost a bit of perspective here. Perhaps it's just an indication of where we are (as a club, and in terms of pre-season hype) that we've got a four page thread on an average striker, who doesn't score many and didn't want to sign for us.

I think that what we can all learn from this is that Scotland is a very nice place.

Get a grip.

Exactly.

MUPPET.

138088[/snapback]

138096[/snapback]

I think you're on a sticky wicket here Prior, after all the English Premier League is hardly a good role model. How many different teams have won the title since it was formed, you might also look at the points total of teams finishihg outside the top positions they where mostly nearer to relegation than the top.

Kettle and Pot springs to mind ;)

138098[/snapback]

138103[/snapback]

Generally, he has though. I wasn't pointing the finger. ;)

I just feel that we've lost a bit of perspective here. Perhaps it's just an indication of where we are (as a club, and in terms of pre-season hype) that we've got a four page thread on an average striker, who doesn't score many and didn't want to sign for us.

I think that what we can all learn from this is that Scotland is a very nice place.

138111[/snapback]

Yeah scotland is bloody good 4 golf, thats why i go there everyyear 2 play. And where my Leicester and England shirts with pride. But it isnt 4 watching football, leave that 2 England, they can watch us in the World Cup.

Archived