Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Christophe Berra

He hasn't because he didn't have the money first time here or at Hull.

Has he know who knows. But in a time of FFP, us being massively in debt, with one of the biggest wage bills already... I would say its unlikely.

It's a pointless argument.

It certainly is on 2 fronts ....

NP won't spend £3m on a player because that would mean they would be expected to be in the team, and NP wants to have all the power and be able to drop anyone without being questioned by fans or media.... he wants a squad of young and hungry and scared of big Nigey .....

And Babylon will not accept any observation that may be taken as any type of criticism of Big Nigey either.

It certainly is on 2 fronts ....

NP won't spend £3m on a player because that would mean they would be expected to be in the team, and NP wants to have all the power and be able to drop anyone without being questioned by fans or media.... he wants a squad of young and hungry and scared of big Nigey .....

And Babylon will not accept any observation that may be taken as any type of criticism of Big Nigey either.

That's not criticism, glad he doesn't go throwing money about

That's not criticism, glad he doesn't go throwing money about

Why??

I wish he'd go and buy the best players he can and use all the money at his disposal to do so. He's been given resources to achieve promotion, any that he doesn't use is just a waste and risks achieving the objective for the sake of saving money .... which as far as we are led to believe is not the brief.

Why??

I wish he'd go and buy the best players he can and use all the money at his disposal to do so. He's been given resources to achieve promotion, any that he doesn't use is just a waste and risks achieving the objective for the sake of saving money .... which as far as we are led to believe is not the brief.

Yeah Sven did a great job of that. Just under £15m spent to finish 9th, value for money!

It's not NP's style to spend big on individual players. He's building a balanced squad which is something we never had under Sven

Can I say here I think Waller and Foxfanazer are both right.

Pearson doesn't seen to be interested in signing expensive signings (Waller) but I think that's the right thing to do because Nige seems to want everybody on relative parity, in terms of reputation and salary (FoxFanazer)..

There, I've sorted out that brief debate.

lol

...Is that not his job? :S

...Is that not his job? :S

Yep..... and if he had more confidence in his own ability he'd be able to do it surrounding himself with proven talent .... not just kids that are bound to look up to him and need him for their career.

So he should sign players who aren't going to look up to him and don't need him for their careers?

That's the proven route to success that is, having a squad full of players who don't look up to the manager and don't need the club to do well to enhance their careers. Just ask Sousa and Sven. :wave:

Yeah Sven did a great job of that. Just under £15m spent to finish 9th, value for money!

It's not NP's style to spend big on individual players. He's building a balanced squad which is something we never had under Sven

When will people stop quoting that Sven finished 9th so any manager that spends money on players is a fool??

And where did value for money become a barometer of success?? I was under the impression it was points. Not spending money = not getting the best players = risk of not achieving enough points for promotion = the sack.

Who's the daft one? Sven spending the money, giving it a great shot and not quite nailing it ..... or NIgel not spending it?

Not spending the money doesn't equal success. Getting a side for peanuts is not the objective, promotion is.

Yep..... and if he had more confidence in his own ability he'd be able to do it surrounding himself with proven talent .... not just kids that are bound to look up to him and need him for their career.

How do u know he has the resources to get in this "proven talent"? And who are these players?

When will people stop quoting that Sven finished 9th so any manager that spends money on players is a fool??

And where did value for money become a barometer of success?? I was under the impression it was points. Not spending money = not getting the best players = risk of not achieving enough points for promotion = the sack.

Who's the daft one? Sven spending the money, giving it a great shot and not quite nailing it ..... or NIgel not spending it?

Not spending the money doesn't equal success. Getting a side for peanuts is not the objective, promotion is.

Which one came closest again? I've been reading your posts and have come to the conclusion that I must be getting their points tallies mixed up.

So he should sign players who aren't going to look up to him and don't need him for their careers?

That's the proven route to success that is, having a squad full of players who don't look up to the manager and don't need the club to do well to enhance their careers. Just ask Sousa and Sven. :wave:

Sousa spent lots of money??? You may want to think that one through.

A manager's job is to assemble the best team he can .... Nige thinks he can do that by taking it slow and building for the long term with kids .....

Good luck to him - i genuinely hope it succeeds ..... but i also doubt it will as he'll run out of time to build that team. The patience os the owners to achieve promotion will run out before that team becomes successful and we'll be back to square one.

Great managers sign great players, sometimes for lots of money and sometimes not young kids .... that's because they can command the respect of all types of player .... Nige just doesn't have the confidence to do this - it's why he can't take criticism from the press or senior players - he sees that as a threat to his ego.

I'm literally speechless lol

Maybe you don't understand.

You're given a job - get us promoted, here's £30m (ish) but if you need more just ask - get us promoted and we really won't care.

Sven goes out and spends the money on the players he thinks will achieve the objective- the best he can attract to the club.

Nige goes and gets players he thinks will fit into a team that he feels comfortable managing.

Sven fails and gets sacked with no budget left and having no regrets.

If Nige fails and gets sacked there'll be £25m left. Same result - but a pile of what ifs and regrets.

Sousa spent lots of money??? You may want to think that one through.

A manager's job is to assemble the best team he can .... Nige thinks he can do that by taking it slow and building for the long term with kids .....

Good luck to him - i genuinely hope it succeeds ..... but i also doubt it will as he'll run out of time to build that team. The patience os the owners to achieve promotion will run out before that team becomes successful and we'll be back to square one.

Great managers sign great players, sometimes for lots of money and sometimes not young kids .... that's because they can command the respect of all types of player .... Nige just doesn't have the confidence to do this - it's why he can't take criticism from the press or senior players - he sees that as a threat to his ego.

Which clearly wasn't my point, what Sousa did have was a squad full of players who didn't look up to him (and you clearly stated that one of Nigel's failings is that he only signs players who do look up to him?) and look where it got him, or indeed where it gets any manager.

Which is it, does Nigel lack confidence or does he have a big ego?

You're given a job - get us promoted, here's £30m (ish) but if you need more just ask - get us promoted and we really won't care.

Sven goes out and spends the money on the players he thinks will achieve the objective- the best he can attract to the club.

Nige goes and gets players he thinks will fit into a team that he feels comfortable managing.

If Nige fails and gets sacked there'll be £25m left. Same result - but a pile of what ifs and regrets.

Yeah I'd much rather we risked the financial future of the club while we're failing, and I mean it isn't like Nigel's prudent style has got a club into the top six before right?

Not spending the money doesn't equal success. Getting a side for peanuts is not the objective, promotion is............

How do u no how much we have spent already if all but the free transfers where undisclosed??

I fully understand and you put your point across well however I disagree massively.

Sven collected players as if he was trying to fill a sticker album. How many cm's did he sign without offloading the ones that were already here.

The squad he assembled was horrendously unbalanced imo. Look mate I'm not one of these that blindly supports NP no matter what he does but he's got us in the play offs before with average players and I'm excited to see the young ones fighting for us. COYB

Which one came closest again? I've been reading your posts and have come to the conclusion that I must be getting their points tallies mixed up.

You seem to be confused with a much simpler point .... I am saying that not spending the resources at his disposal will be Nige's downfall .... you seem to think that means I am promoting the return of Sven!!! I'm simply advocating NP to spend some resources and not regret being so tight in the transfer market when he could be going out and getting proven players to add strength to a promotion push.

Does it have to be that every point on here has to be reduced to a sven v nigel argument.

You seem to be confused with a much simpler point .... I am saying that not spending the resources at his disposal will be Nige's downfall .... you seem to think that means I am promoting the return of Sven!!! I'm simply advocating NP to spend some resources and not regret being so tight in the transfer market when he could be going out and getting proven players to add strength to a promotion push.

Does it have to be that every point on here has to be reduced to a sven v nigel argument.

Because it was a response to you turning this into a Sven v Nigel argument when you asked which was the more sensible manager...

You also don't really know how much Nigel has been given to spend so you might want to be a little less quick to criticize him for not wasting the clubs money.

I fully understand and you put your point across well however I disagree massively.

Sven collected players as if he was trying to fill a sticker album. How many cm's did he sign without offloading the ones that were already here.

The squad he assembled was horrendously unbalanced imo. Look mate I'm not one of these that blindly supports NP no matter what he does but he's got us in the play offs before with average players and I'm excited to see the young ones fighting for us. COYB

I agree with most of what you're saying .... he has achieved alot with average players .... and he's now signing young and hungry players and I don't disagree with that either ..... but i don't want him to have missed out on some really good additions to the squad by ONLY doing that.

There must have been players like Berra, that would have improved our squad enormously and yeah would have cost £3m .... so what .... just pay the money sometimes and strengthen, he doesn't have to always be looking at one type of player and hunting the bargains .... It's like he's won the lottery but still shops in Asda, visit M&S sometimes and get some decent flavour!!!!

a couple of months ago every one was banging on about NP and wait to see who he buys now he has got money and backing yet he still dont seem to have gone and bought big.. but no doubt the excuse will now be he hasnt had the backing still.. ( and before anyone jumps in with look how it went for sven spending big it still dont mean you can splash out on the odd player..)

I agree with most of what you're saying .... he has achieved alot with average players .... and he's now signing young and hungry players and I don't disagree with that either ..... but i don't want him to have missed out on some really good additions to the squad by ONLY doing that.

There must have been players like Berra, that would have improved our squad enormously and yeah would have cost £3m .... so what .... just pay the money sometimes and strengthen, he doesn't have to always be looking at one type of player and hunting the bargains .... It's like he's won the lottery but still shops in Asda, visit M&S sometimes and get some decent flavour!!!!

Well if it doesn't work he will be out before Christmas imo so we'll see what happens. Should've signed Danny murphy!

How do you know that the owners are still willing to spend the money?

How can you say we've only signed in young players not proven at this level when we've signed the player Premier League Norwich considered their best defender and expected to go to Villa?

How can you claim you have no problem with him signing hungry young players when you poster this...

?

a couple of months ago every one was banging on about NP and wait to see who he buys now he has got money and backing yet he still dont seem to have gone and bought big.. but no doubt the excuse will now be he hasnt had the backing still.. ( and before anyone jumps in with look how it went for sven spending big it still dont mean you can splash out on the odd player..)

Because in the past Nigel couldn't have paid the wages for people like Whitbread, couldn't have brought Marshall just like that, couldn't have attracted a player like Knockaert who was linked to Newcastle, couldn't have beaten our Championship rivals to a non-league record signing. So shall we have a look at how these players do before we dismiss them because they didn't threaten the future of the club by asking for £30,000 a week or costing us £5,000,000.

Sven's signings were very exciting during June, July and August, not so great for the rest of the season and I fear as a result of their wages in the long term.

Archived