Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Babylon

Christophe Berra

How do you know that the owners are still willing to spend the money?

How can you say we've only signed in young players not proven at this level when we've signed the player Premier League Norwich considered their best defender and expected to go to Villa?

How can you claim you have no problem with him signing hungry young players when you poster this...

?

Because in the past Nigel couldn't have paid the wages for people like Whitbread, couldn't have brought Marshall just like that, couldn't have attracted a player like Knockaert who was linked to Newcastle, couldn't have beaten our Championship rivals to a non-league record signing. So shall we have a look at how these players do before we dismiss them because they didn't threaten the future of the club by asking for £30,000 a week or costing us £5,000,000.

Sven's signings were very exciting during June, July and August, not so great for the rest of the season and I fear as a result of their wages in the long term.

so you saying whitbread is on high wages?? and why couldnt he bought marshall ? players are linked with other clubs all the time, half of it is agent talk, paper talk, etc. so "linked with other clubs" does not really stand for much, unless again were paying over the top wages for them?? like wise vardy, maybe no one else as prepared to pay 1m for a non league player..

you keep throwing "future of the club" in but thats just a lame excuse tbh..

im not slaggin of his signings, im not writing them off either, just find it funny that people was banging on about you watch NP go with money yet he dont really seem to be splashing the cash so to speak

Sorry I'd got it all wrong..... Nigel is God. He can do no wrong.

Young and hungry players are the only ones we should ever sign ever. Unless NP decides otherwise in the future, at which point i shall change my mind too and blindly back him without question.

The players like Danny Murphy and Berra that some think we should have signed - me included until I saw the light a few moments ago would not have added anything to our squad.

Spending money is a capitalist evil and will not taint our beloved club.

If Nigel fails it's Sven's fault.

Can we just delete all threads in case anyone says anything that may be seen as critical of Nigel in anyway .... I'm all for one thread entitled "Big Nigey is The One Truth" in which the only posts allowed are those giving your personal reasons why Nigel is above all other and how he has made your life complete.

Maybe we should have more rules too - like a Picture of Nigey must be in every room in your house and every meeting room or public area.

I hope that i can be forgiven by the sect of Nigey for my previous disbelieve. I did not know the error of my ways.

so you saying whitbread is on high wages?? and why couldnt he bought marshall ? players are linked with other clubs all the time, half of it is agent talk, paper talk, etc. so "linked with other clubs" does not really stand for much, unless again were paying over the top wages for them?? like wise vardy, maybe no one else as prepared to pay 1m for a non league player..

you keep throwing "future of the club" in but thats just a lame excuse tbh..

im not slaggin of his signings, im not writing them off either, just find it funny that people was banging on about you watch NP go with money yet he dont really seem to be splashing the cash so to speak

Yeah, why should we be worrying about that... I despair, I really do.

I think you'll find also that when people were 'banging on' about Nigel having money we referenced his eye for talent as we saw with the loans of players like Mark Davies, Jay Spearing and Tom Cleverly. The main point was next time a player like that comes along he might be able to make it permanent, not "Yes he's going to go and spend millions of pounds on the best the Championship has to offer" because we all know that isn't how he works, and I think that is taking more of a risk than Sven did, because he is confident it will work, and based on his track record I'm confident it'll work, the league isn't determined by who spends the most money, we saw that last year.

Young and hungry players are the only ones we should ever sign ever. Unless NP decides otherwise in the future, at which point i shall change my mind too and blindly back him without question.

Someone needs to go and tell Wes Morgan and Zak Whitbread that they're young right away.

Well if it doesn't work he will be out before Christmas imo so we'll see what happens. Should've signed Danny murphy!

And that has been my only fear with his signing strategy - it's all seems too focussed on the future and not the now - and he won't get to the future because Christmas will come very quickly. At which point we'll regret not signing the one or two excellent players that would cost £3-5m but would have added all the difference right now.

I'm sure Sven's only regret was not spending more money - on a striker. If he'd have gone for it and signed the Rangers guy, Maynard, or the Yak, would we be having this debate???? I don't think so.

Sorry I'd got it all wrong..... Nigel is God. He can do no wrong.

The players like Danny Murphy and Berra that some think we should have signed - me included until I saw the light a few moments ago would not have added anything to our squad.

Spending money is a capitalist evil and will not taint our beloved club.

If Nigel fails it's Sven's fault.

Can we just delete all threads in case anyone says anything that may be seen as critical of Nigel in anyway .... I'm all for one thread entitled "Big Nigey is The One Truth" in which the only posts allowed are those giving your personal reasons why Nigel is above all other and how he has made your life complete.

Maybe we should have more rules too - like a Picture of Nigey must be in every room in your house and every meeting room or public area.

I hope that i can be forgiven by the sect of Nigey for my previous disbelieve. I did not know the error of my ways.

Surely you aren't directing this post at me. If so then you truly haven't understood/read anything I posted

And that has been my only fear with his signing strategy - it's all seems too focussed on the future and not the now - and he won't get to the future because Christmas will come very quickly. At which point we'll regret not signing the one or two excellent players that would cost £3-5m but would have added all the difference right now.

I'm sure Sven's only regret was not spending more money - on a striker. If he'd have gone for it and signed the Rangers guy, Maynard, or the Yak, would we be having this debate???? I don't think so.

Forgot to mention that I don't think Berra is worth £3m anyway lol

if i'm honest i tend to agree! He wasn't actually the best example of my point!!

If Beckford is sold (which I don't think he will be) I'd be happy for NP to go out and spend big to replace him. There just needs to balance. Anyway let's hope we have a good season

If Beckford is sold (which I don't think he will be) I'd be happy for NP to go out and spend big to replace him. There just needs to balance. Anyway let's hope we have a good season

I really hope we keep hold of JB .... I think he could be really important for us. Yep - fingers crossed!!

When the guy said if Nigel had the budget he would spend three million on one player - there is not a manager in the world who wouldn't. Perhaps you thought by 'budget of £3m' he meant £3m to spend altogether.

I hope you can work that out now.

So you think if someone said you have £20m to spend, he would just stick to people under £3m? What's your reasoning?

Pearson has never been given a budget big enough to go and blow that kind of money. So I don't know how you come to that conclusion.

He likes players where he can see value. He won't over pay like we did for mills. He likes players with the right attitude as well. You can still purchase players who give you value with a good attitude for over £3m.

My reasoning is that attitude to Pearson is everything. He does NOT like players with big egos... My reasoning is also that we tried it with Sven and look where it got us.

Pearson just likes young and hungry players with a point to prove. You dont have much to prove if you are costing 3m for a championship team ( Mills, Beckford,...) you have alot to gain.. ( prem football) but thats different to having something to prove,

Now should we get to the prem then he might change his style... but until then Pearson will NEVER spend 3m on one player.

Put that in your sig. :thumbup:

:kissing:

My reasoning is that attitude to Pearson is everything. He does NOT like players with big egos... My reasoning is also that we tried it with Sven and look where it got us.

Pearson just likes young and hungry players with a point to prove. You dont have much to prove if you are costing 3m for a championship team ( Mills, Beckford,...) you have alot to gain.. ( prem football) but thats different to having something to prove,

Now should we get to the prem then he might change his style... but until then Pearson will NEVER spend 3m on one player.

This seems to be a general thought amongst most of us but where is the actualy truth in it?

We've only seen it twice really and was it because of the players ego or the way they reacted to a certain situation meaning their ego may have been deemed bigger than the club?

The 2 occassions I'm referring to are Gradel and Mills. With Gradel, Nigel got it wrong. It seemed, from an outsiders point of view, that Gradel wanted to be playing every week, Nigel didn't see it that way and to give him game time sent him out on loan. Gradel didn't like it, Nigel got rid.

With Mills, I heard a couple of interviews, the infamous 'delusions of grandeur' interview and one that stuck out in which Pearson made a comment about dressing room talk and how he didn't want to hear players saying the season was over, not long after Mills was out of the team. Matt swore he did nothing wrong, Pearson has rightly kept it all in house.

St Ledger got transfer listed, obviously trained harder, worked harder, reacted better and got himself back in the team and is part of our plans for this season. Beckford has a big ego, Gally has a big ego, Nugent has a big ego, they're footballers most of them will have big egos. Maybe Pearson just doens't like players thinking that they're bigger than him, they're not, he's the boss.

I think we have smart owners. They went all out for promotion. Big name manager + lots of money = big name players = promotion, right? Except they were naive and it went massively wrong.

Rather than stubbornly throw tons of cash at it again (we were linked with some very high name managers when Sven was sacked) they decided a different approach was best. They appointed a guy who knows the club, knows the league, and has an eye for a good player without blowing all your money. In times of looming FFP, NP is a great choice.

Don't know how people can criticise his spending either. He has spent, he's just not been silly with it. Do you really need a £5m player to get out of The Championship? This might all be moot anyway, the owners may have said, as has been suggested by 'itk's, that he has to clear some high earners before he can spend.

I think a major point is being missed.

It's not about spending money that was wrong for the club, it was about who spent it and then didn't appear to manage what came thereafter.

Another manager could have come in, spent 15 million quid on really good players, managed them properly and we COULD have been promoted at a canter.

Sven was the problem, not whether money was spent or not. Pearson wants to do things differently and doesn't seem to have the luxury that Sven had in terms of the money.

Sven had a cracking chance at gettin things right, the legacy he left was of a disorganised squad.

Pearson has had to undo some of the wrongs, can enjoy some of the rights and lets crack on.

When will people realise that we can't spend mega money like we did under sven. We have to get the money balanced in the club for when the ffp kicks in. Players with high fees also have high wages which we can't afford hence why Mills, bamba and peltier were all sold. If there was no ffp I'm sure np would love a spending spree but he can't! Young players on low wages is the way forward mixed with the experience we have with nuge, Morgan, konchesky etc. Having a balanced squad is what's important, not spending millions of pounds on overrated players like Mills!

So only cheap players have something to prove and anyone over £3m has an ego.

You seem to be confused with a much simpler point .... I am saying that not spending the resources at his disposal will be Nige's downfall .... you seem to think that means I am promoting the return of Sven!!! I'm simply advocating NP to spend some resources and not regret being so tight in the transfer market when he could be going out and getting proven players to add strength to a promotion push.

Does it have to be that every point on here has to be reduced to a sven v nigel argument.

And if the money isn't there how do you suggest he spends money?

It certainly is on 2 fronts ....

NP won't spend £3m on a player because that would mean they would be expected to be in the team, and NP wants to have all the power and be able to drop anyone without being questioned by fans or media.... he wants a squad of young and hungry and scared of big Nigey .....

And Babylon will not accept any observation that may be taken as any type of criticism of Big Nigey either.

Yeah I'm sure Wes Morgan, Wayne Brown, Zak Whitbread are really scared.

I'll accept genuine criticism, but I'll defend any manager against any made up bullshit used to beat them with.

Prove to me the budget he has and we'll talk again. Until then you are just making stuff up.

Yep..... and if he had more confidence in his own ability he'd be able to do it surrounding himself with proven talent .... not just kids that are bound to look up to him and need him for their career.

Proven talent like Beckford (no more than 9 league goals above leave one at the age of 29) and Mills (a losing playoff captain).

Well Nugent, Whitbread, Koren and Morgan have better career stats and he seems to manage them just fine. Or do they not count?

More confidence in his own ability, sorry but that's laughable. Perhaps he's actually confident in his scouting system which means he's able to pick up talent at a fraction of the price buying "proven" players does.

Get backing to the OP, from what I saw yesterday, it maybe that NP saw enough in Moore to save money on another centre half. Personally I think Morgan, Whitbread, SSL+ Moore/Parkes is enough cover and for a short period of time he'll run with Morgan and Moore. There is no way Berra would come to us, he wants to play Prem to enhance his international career.

I think we have smart owners. They went all out for promotion. Big name manager + lots of money = big name players = promotion, right? Except they were naive and it went massively wrong.

Rather than stubbornly throw tons of cash at it again (we were linked with some very high name managers when Sven was sacked) they decided a different approach was best. They appointed a guy who knows the club, knows the league, and has an eye for a good player without blowing all your money. In times of looming FFP, NP is a great choice.

Don't know how people can criticise his spending either. He has spent, he's just not been silly with it. Do you really need a £5m player to get out of The Championship? This might all be moot anyway, the owners may have said, as has been suggested by 'itk's, that he has to clear some high earners before he can spend.

More to the point FFP say's he can't spend it.

Also wish people would stop saying we are a rich club as we are not.

We have rich owners that have lent us a lot of money the clue is in the word lent.

We are on paper probably the poorest club in the division atm.

NP has no real mony to spend and will have to deal his way out the division.

More to the point FFP say's he can't spend it.

Also wish people would stop saying we are a rich club as we are not.

We have rich owners that have lent us a lot of money the clue is in the word lent.

We are on paper probably the poorest club in the division atm.

NP has no real mony to spend and will have to deal his way out the division.

Which way out of the division? lol

Archived