Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DanTheMan

A statistical look at the 2012-13 Season

Following on from my popular thread last season, I have re-vamped my spreadsheet and got it ready for the 2012-13 season!

Last season I tried to get an informed look at ours and other teams' "pace" (i.e. extrapolating points per game at a given point in the season to a predicted end of season total) and comparing it to historical points required for both promotion, and the play-offs!

This time round it is no different, except I've re-done the spreadsheet to track ALL of the results for ALL of the teams, and you can then pick out the Automatic and/or Play-off contenders after each game. Updating is much easier and quicker than my last spreadsheet, simply put in the results of each game by typing the winner's team name, or "Draw" in the case of a draw (e.g. if we beat Forest, type "Leicester" in the relevant box)

Sorting the top teams to show Automatic/Play-off contenders on the graphs is simply a case of typing the game number to show the top teams up to that point, and then hitting the update button.

Hope this helps! Last season, I emailed the spreadsheet out to only a few because it was difficult to use, but find this new one linked below... I will still periodically update this thread to discuss thoughts on our own progress as the season progresses!

Download the Spreadsheet Here!

So how accurate was it last season? How early can you predict something? :P

Haha, it's less about prediction, and more about keeping track of all the teams respective forms, and how close that form is to the historical performances required for promotion or play-off places.

I'm in pant spaffing excel heaven....it's beautiful Dan, beautiful!

There was a fair bit of Googling involved to get it to work out each team's points after each result, and put them in order - the rest wasn't too bad... the perils of being a PhD student that is better at finding creative ways of avoiding work rather than DOING it ;)

• 1 month later...

So... 8 games in and what might be the start of a decent run (first 3 game win streak in 18+ months as people have already said). We've had some unluckiness and a bit of a lack of ruthlessness in the first 3 away games, but despite Pearson having used a lot of players so far, the team seems to be picking itself and working well. Knockaert looks like he could be an especially important player this season!

It is interesting to note from the spreadsheet, that us, Wolves & Cardiff are the only teams in the top six that have recently improved our form (in the top nine, Leeds are the only addition to this). All the other teams' forms have dipped. The result of this is that our current form extended over the season would have us finish on 86pts - just one point shy of the 10-season average for points required to finish in the Automatic spots!

I'm keeping the public copy of the spreadsheet up-to-date with the previous results from all the matches, but you can download your own copy and fill it in here

FDgnu.png

Thanks for the info, I can't get the link to work though.

Isn't us and Wolves that are the only ones's to have improved?

Also I read in Foxblogger's stats that we've got the 2nd lowest number of player usage so I don't think in comparison we have used a lot of players..

Thanks for the info, I can't get the link to work though.

Isn't us and Wolves that are the only ones's to have improved?

Also I read in Foxblogger's stats that we've got the 2nd lowest number of player usage so I don't think in comparison we have used a lot of players..

Don't know why it's not working, it should link directly to the file and download it, I've just tried it again myself.

I'd left off Wolves by mistake, but Cardiff have done the same as Wolves, it's just impossible to see on that graph since they overlap!

Don't know why it's not working, it should link directly to the file and download it, I've just tried it again myself.

I'd left off Wolves by mistake, but Cardiff have done the same as Wolves, it's just impossible to see on that graph since they overlap!

Seems to be working now thanks.

It's a long time since i used excel for anything other than simple table so how do you view it as a graph?

Bear in mind that after each week's fixtures, the graphs will only update properly (i.e. show the correct teams) if you select the right number of games played and hit the update button. That then sorts the teams based on their points per game for the graphs, etc.

That's at the right side of the graph is it?

If you try and update it tjhere's a message about macros not being available.

I just put results in as a trial and then clicked on the auto graph tab and they all changed. A macro not available message popped up initially but I cancelled it and it's working fine.

EDIT- Ignore that I can't get the top six to change.

I just put results in as a trial and then clicked on the auto graph tab and they all changed. A macro not available message popped up initially but I cancelled it and it's working fine.

EDIT- Ignore that I can't get the top six to change.

As has been said, you need to make sure macros are enabled when you first open it - in any case, I'll periodically update this thread with screenshots and comments as I did last season!

• 2 weeks later...

I've just found this.... It covers the first 10 games of the new season and features a page of analysis for each Football League club.

Apparently so far were...

1) The masters of shutting teams down facing 5 fewer shots on our goal than the average,

2) Were only 1 of 3 Championship sides to have scored in every game so far,

3) Were only 1 of 2 Championship sides to have not conceded a goal down the right side during open play,

4) We concede the 2nd highest proportion of goals in the 1st half in the Football League.

Check it out.....http://experimental361.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/experimental-361-the-first-10-games1.pdf

I've just found this.... It covers the first 10 games of the new season and features a page of analysis for each Football League club.

Apparently so far were...

1) The masters of shutting teams down facing 5 fewer shots on our goal than the average,

2) Were only 1 of 3 Championship sides to have scored in every game so far,

3) Were only 1 of 2 Championship sides to have not conceded a goal down the right side during open play,

4) We concede the 2nd highest proportion of goals in the 1st half in the Football League.

Check it out.....http://experimental3...t-10-games1.pdf

Did you find it here - http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/84100-some-stats-and-analysis-ten-games-in/ :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I've added a LCFC stats page to the spreadsheet, so you can get a bit more info just on our performance - the new page updates automatically as you enter match results, but the current graph is as follows:

X6eYj.png

Predicted Total: As per the rest of the spreadsheet - our predicted points total for the season based on our current pts-per-game

Max Pts Available: The absolute maximum number of points we can get if we won every other game for the rest of the season (A totally unreasonable assumption, but helps give an idea of "breathing space" between our current total and the points needed to guarantee promotion, see below).

Worst Case, Average, Best Case: The number of pts we still need to get to guarantee promotion (1st or 2nd finish) based on stats for the previous 10 seasons

Anyway, as you'd expect with our current form, the upshot is that we still have plenty of breathing room on the max points line, and the points needed for an autos finish are quickly plummeting lol

Lets hope we can keep the run going for as long as possible - my dream end to the season would be going to Forest on the last day needing a draw to secure promotion, and then hammering them 4 or 5-0!

Hey guys,

I've added a LCFC stats page to the spreadsheet, so you can get a bit more info just on our performance - the new page updates automatically as you enter match results, but the current graph is as follows:

X6eYj.png

Predicted Total: As per the rest of the spreadsheet - our predicted points total for the season based on our current pts-per-game

Max Pts Available: The absolute maximum number of points we can get if we won every other game for the rest of the season (A totally unreasonable assumption, but helps give an idea of "breathing space" between our current total and the points needed to guarantee promotion, see below).

Worst Case, Average, Best Case: The number of pts we still need to get to guarantee promotion (1st or 2nd finish) based on stats for the previous 10 seasons

Anyway, as you'd expect with our current form, the upshot is that we still have plenty of breathing room on the max points line, and the points needed for an autos finish are quickly plummeting lol

Lets hope we can keep the run going for as long as possible - my dream end to the season would be going to Forest on the last day needing a draw to secure the title having secured promotion already, and then hammering them 4 or 5-0!

• 2 months later...

Archived