Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
EnderbyFox

Fan Confidence

Fan Confidence  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Are you more confident of achieving promotion this year, than this time last season?

• More confident than last season
    • Less confident than last season
    • Same confidence

Another top post.

REALLY think about it... 15 million quid... That was 5 more than West Ham and God knows how much more than The Saints and Reading?

Yes, Sven got sacked before the end of the season, but that was after an utterly dismal display against Millwall at home, one of the worst games of football I've ever seen a City team produce in recent times.

Money is important... Especially moreso with FFP looming. Last season was a complete disaster in so many ways. I'm so glad it's all been put to bed and we can start afresh.

Whether Pearson himself will be the answer.. Who knows?

But I'm more confident now.

We'll never see eye to eye - the fact that Nige has hung on to a lot of those 'big names' that we wasted so much money on probably says that at least he isn't dumb enough to buy into the 'all players Sven bought were crap and a waste of money' school of thought. I am happy that he has bought some new (but still relatively expensive) blood in and hope he will prove me wrong (genuinely) but his 'direct' style of play relies on having the right players for that style and nothing in his signings suggest he is going to play this way - luckily, our fans are very tolerant of direct hoof ball (as seen in the resounding support for Mills et al when they did it last year) so unless we are top 2 by probably tonight but certainly after 4 or 5 games, expect massive dissent if hoof ball direct football is being played.

So this is why I am less confident - Nige's record (and no one found anything to suggest that he has in fact only achieved a third tier promotion in his management career - the rest of his near misses are exactly that) suggests we will miss out on promotion, let's hope he can improve, but he really needs to

We'll never see eye to eye - the fact that Nige has hung on to a lot of those 'big names' that we wasted so much money on probably says that at least he isn't dumb enough to buy into the 'all players Sven bought were crap and a waste of money' school of thought. I am happy that he has bought some new (but still relatively expensive) blood in and hope he will prove me wrong (genuinely) but his 'direct' style of play relies on having the right players for that style and nothing in his signings suggest he is going to play this way - luckily, our fans are very tolerant of direct hoof ball (as seen in the resounding support for Mills et al when they did it last year) so unless we are top 2 by probably tonight but certainly after 4 or 5 games, expect massive dissent if hoof ball direct football is being played.

So this is why I am less confident - Nige's record (and no one found anything to suggest that he has in fact only achieved a third tier promotion in his management career - the rest of his near misses are exactly that) suggests we will miss out on promotion, let's hope he can improve, but he really needs to

East is East West is West seenitall and all views are exactly that..........time will tell COYB :chant:

Your first comment is spot on...

We could go round and round in circles regarding when Sven actually won something with anybody, so I won't do that.

The difference is that I believe in Pearson in a way I never did Sven. I think Pearson is tougher, more disciplined, wants to build a team, considers players for positions, doesn't spend money as though he's playing monopoly, demands respect from his players, gets it most of the time, doesn't pussy foot around the media, and is a much better man manager. Sven was a nice guy, but well past his sell by date when he was with us. IMO.

I've got far more belief this season that we will be a more solid, together squad than we ever were under Sven.

You're still wearing your 'Sven tinted glasses' even after all this time? Sven missed the best chance of promotion that City have had in recent times. Get over it and get behind the bloke in charge.

This :thumbup:

I totally agree Col.

He kept Carlisle in the league, and also kept Southampton in the league. He won promotion at the first attempt from League One (other big clubs, such as; Leeds, Huddersfield, Swindon, Southampton, Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United all didn't do that). He then made us the fifth best team in this division, and we made the play offs. Went to Hull and did amazing background work, which you don't seem to notice; he turned Hull around in terms of finances and got rid of their debt to start again. Built a new team and probably would have made the play offs last season if he would have stayed (thankfully he came back here). Guess what, they were above us.

You might not like his direct style, but name me a team that has won promotion from this division playing fantastic football, because I can think of Swansea and Blackpool, that's all. Most teams play the direct way, look at West Ham, Reading and even Southampton at times. Sven and Sousa both tried real football and where did we end up? Nowhere man. Thing is, Pearson's former Leicester teams all looked like a unit, together, a force and we were consistent. That's something we need back, and I believe we'll see this year.

'Cannot man manage'? Where's that come from? Just because big-headed Mills seemed to fall out with Pearson, and ok St Ledger did, but St Ledger worked hard to get back in the side. Massive names :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure that's something made up, so you hope to fall back on it. All manager's have their favourites, by the way. There is no doubt Pearson is a better manager, at this level, than Sven. I have more confidence in Nigel Pearson, than I ever did in the over-spending Sven.

I find it funny how all the Pearson haters say 'he needs to get promoted with all the money he has spent'. Hang on a minute, Sven spent £15million and failed.

Agree with almost everything you've put here mate, except this bit in bold. Whilst Sven played free flowing attacking football in the season he took over (, he completely abandoned this last season for a negative (and at times clueless hoofball) approach, which was one of the reasons we didn't do well. And Sousa, well we played beautiful football in our own half, it's just when we crossed the halfway line we fell apart ;) Whilst being solid at the back is vitally important in this league, it's become obvious to me that teams who play pacey attacking football are more successful these days. I'd argue West Ham had the best squad by quite some way last season but their Big Sam style hindered them, hence why they only finished 3rd. I'd also say that the likes of Norwich, Southampton, West Brom and Newcastle were leaning more towards a passing and positive attacking style than solid, one-dimensional football. Even QPR played with pace and flair on the counter attack.

Of course not every team can play fantastic football, a more direct style suited us first time under Pearson because we didn't have the pace in the team. However, even with that team Pearson developed a better passing game towards the end of the season, resulting in some great scorelines and impressive performances. He didn't stay but I don't think we would have moved forward too far if we stuck to some of the football we played early in that season

I completely understand what you're saying, but I just think, if possible, we would be much better off playing with a bit of flair and pace, as well as a passing style that retains possession, as most defences are not built to cope. If we play as we did in most games last season (under both Sven and Nigel) with few ideas and hopeful long balls, I think we'll struggle again.

But other than that point great post :thumbup:

Archived