Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Larry_LCFC

Competition for Places

Evening fellow foxes

I was just thinking how pleasing our performance was yesterday (despite the loss) and how well we actually played across pretty much the whole field. It got me wondering whether the players who are currently injured or not featuring even have a part time play this season.

Richie Wellens - Been a loyal servant to the club and does actually play some good stuff sometimes. I think he particularly plays his part in away games when our backs are to the wall. But looking at the past few games, Drinkwater has more than filled his place and bossed the midfield and I cant see him ever breaking back into the team.

Paul Gallagher - Again moments of class that can sometimes be the difference between 3 points and a draw/loss. Set pieces and passing leave something to be desired and to me a league 1 player at most. Again I struggle to see him ever breaking back into the team. We have too many better alternatives.

Waghorn - Young and exciting but nowhere near the standard we require. As someone mentioned the other day, his shooting is way off the mark. When Nugent is sat on the bench, that is telling you something. Vardy, Beckford, Nugent and Futacs will always start ahead of him.

Schlupp - Same as Waghorn really. Exciting one for the future but will he be content with not playing?

Players like Sean St Ledger and Futacs I think will have a much better chance on their return because IMO are simply better players and fit in with NP's vision. The others I have mentioned im just not sure about. Do we still need to clearout some deadwood or maybe send them out on loan? Or maybe Im barking up the wrong tree altogether.

Thoughts?

(and please dont turn this into a gallagher/wellens hate thread)

I think we have too many forwards and should loan one out but other than that we are about right in terms of numbers. A squad can look a lot smaller if it is unlucky with injuries in a particular area in a short space of time.

I think we should loan out Schlupp and Waghorn with an option of recalling. Still leaves us with 4 forwards.

Gallagher I think still has a part to play and is better than Dyer. If Dyer had Gallys pace Dyer would be nothing. Gallagher offers more.

Wellens will be here until the end of the season I imagine. He plays some good football sometimes but is not more than back up.

St Ledger and Whitbread, Whitbread as soon as he is fit will be in to replace Moore. St Ledger will be used as backup and will not be happy with that. Can see him wanting to leave and being sold in January.

I agree. Get Jeffrey some game time in league 1 and waggy in the championship. We still have 4 good strikers.

Liking the optimism

Although Schluppy hasn't convinced yet as being quite ready at this level, I seem to remember that one of his qualities is clinical finishing. As that's what we're lacking at the moment (apart from Kingy), I wonder if he might be thrown on for 30 mins if we continue having problems converting the chances we're making.

It's called competition for places for a reason, you have a squad and back up players for a reason.

Competition

Injuries

Options

Combinations

Formations

International call ups

Thats the point though. I cant ever see the likes of Gallagher or Wellens being picked ahead of Marshall, Drinkwater, Dyer Konckaert or even Danns. They are a totally different level of player. I cant see them being content sitting around all season waiting to be thrown a scrap of football if someone is injured or on international duty. They arent bad players, just not as good as we need.

Thats the point though. I cant ever see the likes of Gallagher or Wellens being picked ahead of Marshall, Drinkwater, Dyer Konckaert or even Danns. They are a totally different level of player. I cant see them being content sitting around all season waiting to be thrown a scrap of football if someone is injured or on international duty. They arent bad players, just not as good as we need.

Rubbish.

We need strength in depth.. Any team in the Championship does. Any team in any league for that matter.

Regarding Gally and Wellens not being good enough, well Ben Marshall hasn't exactly been pulling up trees the past two games, or so reports would indicate. And Dyer continues to be ridiculed. Finally, where's James? Is he not gonna be picked in the first 11 now,

We will get injuries, suspensions, out of form players etc etc.

As Pearson himself has said on more than one occassion already, any success will be a squad effort.

We need everybody we have IMO.

Surely the fact that they are different gives them value as it offers Pearson options depending on the opposition and if wins don't materialise. Someone needs to be sat on the bench if they are prepared to accept that and wait for their chance then it's not a problem, if they want out then we still have to find someone that 'aren't bad players' to replace them.

I doubt Moore will maintain his 1st team place in the face of competition from St L and Whitbread but I'm sure he'll be happy to sit on the bench either here or at Man U :P

Surely the fact that they are different gives them value as it offers Pearson options depending on the opposition and if wins don't materialise. Someone needs to be sat on the bench if they are prepared to accept that and wait for their chance then it's not a problem, if they want out then we still have to find someone that 'aren't bad players' to replace them.

I doubt Moore will maintain his 1st team place in the face of competition from St L and Whitbread but I'm sure he'll be happy to sit on the bench either here or at Man U :P

Fair point. Just depends on their mentality really. They either accept they wont be first choice or they ship out. Any player with sense will realise this club is going places and now is not the time to abandon ship.

Archived