Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Col city fan

Away From Home

I know, it's in the blood...... :P

Our lack of midfield 'heavyweights' (attacking or defending) has been obvious for a long time, without such players, trying to play 4-4-2 in this division was never going to work.

Since the return of NFP, 4-2-3-1 has been such an obvious choice for us that I became genuinely angry that no one could see that, continuing to play 4-4-2 was so pointless that I actually gave up going earlier this year.

Even without the options we have now we could have put together a very passable front 6, though the loss of King was a real problem. This gives you an idea of what I mean....

King/Danns--Drinkwater

Marshall--Gallagher/Danns--Dyer/Nugent

Nugent/Beckford

NFP simply seemed to be marking time and the way we started this season gave me little reason to believe we would do much better, it is all well and good sending out an eager young side to play attacking football but fairly pointless to do so if you do not set them up in a way that will be effective..... :(

Maybe, just maybe we are starting to move forward....... :thumbup:

Shouldn't we be trying to win matches from the start?

why can Leicester fans not understand the concept of counter attacking football where you keep it tight for an hour or so trying to catch them out before bringing on fresh legs with an hour or so to and really going for it. Its not that hard a concept to grasp ffs.

we've tried attack from the off for the past 18 months and our away record is shit, MAYBE its time to do it differently.

why can Leicester fans not understand the concept of counter attacking football where you keep it tight for an hour or so trying to catch them out before bringing on fresh legs with an hour or so to and really going for it. Its not that hard a concept to grasp ffs.

we've tried attack from the off for the past 18 months and our away record is shit, MAYBE its time to do it differently.

No we haven't, I've seen countless games away from home where we've come out slowly and in our cages and have paid the price. At Wolves for example, and most times under Sven and we were mostly shite under him away.

It's not that I don't grasp it, it's just I don't agree it's a great idea. If we can play teams off the park at home why shouldn't we do it away? Why should we surrender the advantage and let them get the momentum? Why should we give their fans a chance to get up for it instead of silencing them?

Just because you play with attacking players and try to create chances doesn't mean you can't keep it tight at the back. It doesn't mean you can't defend set pieces either.

We don't have throw 11 men into their half and flood the penalty area but there's no justifying dropping your best creative (and perhaps best all round) player.

Leaving Knockaert out of the picture until late seems daft in that scenario, then. He's one of the few players we have who looks capable of unlocking defences when a game is tight and congested. Somebody like Dyer would be much more useful to bring on later when our opponents are leaving gaps.

No we haven't, I've seen countless games away from home where we've come out slowly and in our cages and have paid the price. At Wolves for example, and most times under Sven and we were mostly shite under him away.

It's not that I don't grasp it, it's just I don't agree it's a great idea. If we can play teams off the park at home why shouldn't we do it away? Why should we surrender the advantage and let them get the momentum? Why should we give their fans a chance to get up for it instead of silencing them?

Just because you play with attacking players and try to create chances doesn't mean you can't keep it tight at the back. It doesn't mean you can't defend set pieces either.

We don't have throw 11 men into their half and flood the penalty area but there's no justifying dropping your best creative (and perhaps best all round) player.

because it doesn't work away we are too open and concede sloppy goals game after game

Leaving Knockaert out of the picture until late seems daft in that scenario, then. He's one of the few players we have who looks capable of unlocking defences when a game is tight and congested. Somebody like Dyer would be much more useful to bring on later when our opponents are leaving gaps.

Dyer is much better at defending and tracking runners though and Knockaert coming on against tiring players away would be much more dangerous

because it doesn't work away we are too open and concede sloppy goals game after game

Yes we concede sloppy goals but there's little proof to say that's because we've been positive and tried to win the game. The two against Wolves were from set pieces and in a half where we gave them the initiative and played shockingly. Conceding the throw in against Charlton was more poor basic defending. Our positivity at Blackburn should have had us well in control but we missed sitters and were robbed by two poor offside decisions. I can think of plenty of goals caused by our negativity and inviting pressure.

In the second half of away games we've been positive and battered the opposition, we've just wasted chances, we won the second halves at Charlton and Wolves 1-0 - and drew the other 1-1, so there's plenty of evidence to say being positive is good for us.

Dyer is much better at defending and tracking runners though and Knockaert coming on against tiring players away would be much more dangerous

Dyer is much better to bring on against tiring players, he's much faster than most of them and they'll struggle to keep up with them when they're knackered, whereas Knockaert is more about his quality and guile in possession. Plus he's clearly a shitter player than Knockaert and more often than not has no positive impact on a game.

I still think its been the formation we've played away from home that's been our undoing.

Jimmy's right, our away record stinks and is a polar opposite to our home form.

People that don't see this can't read stats.

Something has to change away from home. I'm not advocating we don't try to impose our play onto the opposition, but evidence firmly suggests we leave ourselves too exposed to quick attacks from the opposition.

Saturday will be interesting. I'm waiting to see what team Nige puts out and, as importantly, how he sets them up.

I still think its been the formation we've played away from home that's been our undoing.

Jimmy's right, our away record stinks and is a polar opposite to our home form.

People that don't see this can't read stats.

Something has to change away from home. I'm not advocating we don't try to impose our play onto the opposition, but evidence firmly suggests we leave ourselves too exposed to quick attacks from the opposition.

Saturday will be interesting. I'm waiting to see what team Nige puts out and, as importantly, how he sets them up.

Maybe, just maybe it won't be 4-4-fooking-2........ ;)

I did suggest back in http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/83821-away-from-home/#entry2359776 how I think we should go about it but it will probably be too different for NFP.

How have you never made it as a manager Dave? You seem to have all the answers!

Of course I have all the answers....... :thumbup:

What I don't have is a family to support (made my money years ago), a board of directors to keep happy, a football club to get promoted, 20,000 ish fans to keep happy and 20 - 30 overpaid, overgrown children to look after....... :dunno:

Of course I have all the answers....... :thumbup:

What I don't have is a family to support (made my money years ago), a board of directors to keep happy, a football club to get promoted, 20,000 ish fans to keep happy and 20 - 30 overpaid, overgrown children to look after....... :dunno:

Become a moderator on Foxes Talk :thumbup:

Archived