Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Deucalion

Random post of the night.

I know the son of the Mr Jolly referred to in the article.

That's a bit of a coincidence!

It doesn't say in the article that it was armed during WWII and used for anti-submarine warfare.

HMS Leicester I could understand but HMS Leicester City is a bit unusual. Are their any other RN ships with football connections?

That's a bit of a coincidence!

It doesn't say in the article that it was armed during WWII and used for anti-submarine warfare.

HMS Leicester I could understand but HMS Leicester City is a bit unusual. Are their any other RN ships with football connections?

I think it's named after the City, not the club. It's a pretty common practice.

I think it's named after the City, not the club. It's a pretty common practice.

You are probably right but...while very bored last night I was looking through all the names of Royal Navy ships.

I didn't see any other ships with 'City' or 'Town' or the like attached. As it was a civilian trawler impressed into service during WWII I wondered whether it was named 'Leicester City' by a fan of the club and the name was kept by the Royal Navy?

????

You are probably right but...while very bored last night I was looking through all the names of Royal Navy ships.

I didn't see any other ships with 'City' or 'Town' or the like attached. As it was a civilian trawler impressed into service during WWII I wondered whether it was named 'Leicester City' by a fan of the club and the name was kept by the Royal Navy?

????

Fair enough, my assumption was that it was to differentiate Leicester the City from Leicester the shorthand for the county. Your suggestion makes sense too. WHO KNOWS???

Fair enough, my assumption was that it was to differentiate Leicester the City from Leicester the shorthand for the county. Your suggestion makes sense too. WHO KNOWS???

I want to believe it is named after the club.

How many football clubs have a navy ship named after them?*

We are MASSIVE!!

* (even a crappy armed trawler?)

Archived