Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Since When Was The Attendance Counted?

I know they always used to just announce attendance as tickets sold but surely they've always had some means of head-counting on the way in?

In this world of health and safety gone allegedly mad you'd think it would be fairly essential to keep track of who's in your stadium to a fairly accurate level?

Nice theory which isn't actually supported by the figures.

Ignore our first season in the ground and attendances have remained resolutely static at this level. There is no difference between mid table mediocrity and relegation/playoff drama.

I'm aware of the inherent irony of my reply too.

Mike - the irony of your reply has not been lost on me ;)

I wasn't offering a theory to the trend of our attendances over the last ten seasons, but I was providing an explanation as to why people care about the attendance at football matches.

There are obviously lots of other factors to take into account when analysing attendance figures and trying to establish why they fluctuate as they do or as you are suggesting remain static.

One thing that would certainly have to be taken into consideration would be peoples financial situation which obviously took a massive turn in 2008 during the global crash in the financial markets. Our drop into the third tier of English football would be also be another contributory factor too.

Probably needs a bit of research to discuss in any great detail but it's Sunday and I'm not sure I can be arsed but I am sure you get the gist of what I am saying

Mike - the irony of your reply has not been lost on me ;)

I wasn't offering a theory to the trend of our attendances over the last ten seasons, but I was providing an explanation as to why people care about the attendance at football matches.

There are obviously lots of other factors to take into account when analysing attendance figures and trying to establish why they fluctuate as they do or as you are suggesting remain static.

One thing that would certainly have to be taken into consideration would be peoples financial situation which obviously took a massive turn in 2008 during the global crash in the financial markets. Our drop into the third tier of English football would be also be another contributory factor too.

Probably needs a bit of research to discuss in any great detail but it's Sunday and I'm not sure I can be arsed but I am sure you get the gist of what I am saying

Every season at this level (excluding our first season) has seen less than a 1.5k movement in av attendance. We get between 22.5k and 24k approx.

You can study it all you wish and all you'll learn is a useless fact about how many people went to the footy one year.

I think. Have explained it before but here we go.

There is a screen in t control room that shows the totals for each section of people coming through the turnstiles and in the middle of the screen is the total for the ground. As you can imagine at the busiest periods these totals go up quickly.

Once the turnstiles are closed the figure in the middle of the screen is the actual attendance.

This figure is adjusted to include season ticket holders who have not turned up to give the official attendance, this can add up to 2000 extra.

As others have said the adjustment on Friday night would have been ridiculous so we probably got the actual attendance as the official figure.

Archived