Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Since When Was The Attendance Counted?

So Friday night saw an official attendance of 8k or whatever it was. I along with many others expected it to at least have shown STHs and possibly many others who'd bought tickets in the actual attendance.

Obviously the club only counted people who'd actually passed through the turnstile, so I've been wondering how long the club have been doing this for?

Was it for one night only as they couldn't possibly pull the wool over our eyes and pretend there was 20k+ there on Friday? Have they always had the ability to count fans passing through turnstiles and then always applied that method of counting the attendance or do they usually always count STHs for every game regardless of when the ticket has been used or not?

I wonder if since we've had the bar code things they've always announced our attendance by counting the numbers using the turnstiles? (surely a much better andaccurate way)?

I'm sure the club has said before that they count on the turnstyle anyway. Friday night would suggest that's the case but then again it's equally possible that they decided they would look a bit like Comical Ali if they tried that one.

On a related note; was the attendance announced at the ground? If not I reckon there's a threshold below which they don't announce the numbers to the fans in attendance. There was a game earlier this season, about the time a lot of us were concerned about low attendances, at which they didn't announce it and I got home to find only 18,000 had turned up.

The attendance they claim will never be 100% accurate. Forgive the slur but all clubs adjust the slightly for tax purpose. But with it live on tv and so empty a week after fitting 14k was it into 2 stands they had to declare it properly.

And no it wasnt announced at the game.

The attendance they claim will never be 100% accurate. Forgive the slur but all clubs adjust the slightly for tax purpose. But with it live on tv and so empty a week after fitting 14k was it into 2 stands they had to declare it properly.

And no it wasnt announced at the game.

I thought it was announced? Could've sworn my mate told me the figure during the 2nd half, unless he had a text off someone watching it on the tv

There was more than 8500 in there on friday.

sitting there every home game I suppose you get an idea of how many there are roughly through experience.

I'm certain is was over 10,000 and closer to 13-15.

On a related note; was the attendance announced at the ground? If not I reckon there's a threshold below which they don't announce the numbers to the fans in attendance. There was a game earlier this season, about the time a lot of us were concerned about low attendances, at which they didn't announce it and I got home to find only 18,000 had turned up.

No the attendance wasn't announced, a couple of times this season they haven't announced it when the figure had been a low.

Not sure why grounds announce attendance anyway, it doesn't alter the game in play.

There was more than 8500 in there on friday.

sitting there every home game I suppose you get an idea of how many there are roughly through experience.

I'm certain is was over 10,000 and closer to 13-15.

Not a chance was there anywhere near 13k. 10k max and nearer 8 as i said at the time.

Why do people care?

You don't get an announcement half way through a play at the theatre announcing the attendance, nor at a concert or at the cinema.

Come to think of it I'd like to see the announcing of attendances rolled out to every aspect of life, bus drivers using the tannoy to state how many are on the bus, meal times livened up by Mums announcing "tonight's attendance for the chicken and chips is 4. Thank you for your continued support" etc they could announce your departure from the table like they do substitutions "leaving the table is ..."

Why do people care?

You don't get an announcement half way through a play at the theatre announcing the attendance, nor at a concert or at the cinema.

Come to think of it I'd like to see the announcing of attendances rolled out to every aspect of life, bus drivers using the tannoy to state how many are on the bus, meal times livened up by Mums announcing "tonight's attendance for the chicken and chips is 4. Thank you for your continued support" etc they could announce your departure from the table like they do substitutions "leaving the table is ..."

Does your mum still cook for you then?

Not a chance was there anywhere near 13k. 10k max and nearer 8 as i said at the time.

Agree with this,I only saw it on tv,but if our capacity is a tad over 32 k that meant a person ever 2.5 seats.This certainly Didnt look the case.

We won that's all that matters and well done to those that made it.

Agree with this,I only saw it on tv,but if our capacity is a tad over 32 k that meant a person ever 2.5 seats.This certainly Didnt look the case.

We won that's all that matters and well done to those that made it.

I'm not trying to turn this into one of those threads.

Pretty much everyone on here has always assumed STHs were always counted regardless of whether they were used or not. I just want to discuss it!

I'm not trying to turn this into one of those threads.

Pretty much everyone on here has always assumed STHs were always counted regardless of whether they were used or not. I just want to discuss it!

didnt mean it like that,yes I assumed it always counted season tickets.

What I was getting at was ,and I should hav e multi quoted said there was 13-15 k as some of it was packed,to me it didn't look that packed.i accept your grovelling apology in due course!

Why do people care?

I think most people share an interest in the attendance - I like to see how many we take to away games, how many away fans come to the KP etc. etc.

It's another pre-match/post match topic of conversation which always takes place within my circle of City fans and I would suspect that most fans do the same.

"Why do people Care?" - the attendance of any given match can be used to gauge where fans believe the Club to be at any given time. If we are playing attractive football, as we are now, then you would anticipate more fans being in attendance. If we have promotion in our sights, as we have now, again you would expect to see more home fans through the turnstyles. A dip in form and a few results against us and expectations will drop and attendances also.

I think most people share an interest in the attendance - I like to see how many we take to away games, how many away fans come to the KP etc. etc.

It's another pre-match/post match topic of conversation which always takes place within my circle of City fans and I would suspect that most fans do the same.

"Why do people Care?" - the attendance of any given match can be used to gauge where fans believe the Club to be at any given time. If we are playing attractive football, as we are now, then you would anticipate more fans being in attendance. If we have promotion in our sights, as we have now, again you would expect to see more home fans through the turnstyles. A dip in form and a few results against us and expectations will drop and attendances also.

Nice theory which isn't actually supported by the figures.

Ignore our first season in the ground and attendances have remained resolutely static at this level. There is no difference between mid table mediocrity and relegation/playoff drama.

I'm aware of the inherent irony of my reply too.

Archived