Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ScoutMan

The curse of Peter Beagrie...

"As painful as it may be, the essence of what he's saying is right."

--------------------------------------------------

It's not painful to me. As I said earlier any measure of "bigness" is almost entirely subjective. What I do like to see, however, is that anyone who tries to answer the question is consistent with his rational and displays an understanding of the facts used to make his case.

If it's past success then Forest and Leeds would probably be in the equation, but so would teams like Huddersfield who won the league 3 times in a row in the 1920s. That's why "recent" success has to come in to it as otherwise the Royal Engineers would claim to be a big club as they won the FA Cup in the 19th century.

If you're looking at recent success then you have to include teams with recent PL experience, or teams that have recently won something. Teams like Wigan, Reading and QPR might suddenly come into the equation.

If it's fanbase then Leeds, Derby and Leicester might feature, but what about Brighton who currently average more than anyone in the 2nd tier?

Sometimes it's better to answer the question purely from your own perception if you are going to answer it at all. Otherwise you may have to rely on facts that simply don't stack up under scrutiny.

That's a very fair point.

I agree he's being completely inconsistent. However, if the size of a club is measured on these three criteria:

a. Past success.

b. Recent success.

c. Current fanbase.

Then Leicester would beat Brighton on (a) and, depending on how far back 'recent success' extends, (b), but not ©.

We'd beat Derby, Sheffield Wednesday and Forest on (b) - if we stipulate a period of, say, 15 years rather than 5, 10, 20 or 25 years - but not on (a) or ©.

We'd beat Blackburn on © but not (a) or (b).

Therefore, when up against past FA Cup winners, League winners, Champions League winners who still draw bigger crowds than us, I'm not how we can possibly fix it so that Leicester are a 'bigger' club. He was right in what he said, just wrong in how he went about saying it.

As a Leicester fan I prefer to think of where we're going to be, rather than where we are or have been (save, of course, for a smattering of years under O'Neill). If we don't want to give Beagrie or Forest and Leeds fans any further satisfaction then I suggest this as the way forward.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/DivisionalAttendance/0,,10794~20077,00.html

That's a good measure to an extent. The fact that we were 3rd the season we went down shows you how big a club we are really. Plus, our attendences have been on the decline for the last few years yet if you factor in the Middlesborough game (takes away about 500 from the average) and just how many games we had on TV, we'd still be right up there. The problem is, what makes a club big is so subjective. Personally, I think we're as big/bigger than a lot of teams in the Premier League so if we lose out to a smaller club again this year, I don't think I'll be able to take it!

Hate the big club argument.

How do you measure it? I mean Newcastle haven't won anything in 50 years yet I'm guessing most people here call them a big club.

There are many big clubs in our division, and I count all three East Midlands Clubs in that. 

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/DivisionalAttendance/0,,10794~20077,00.html

That's a good measure to an extent. The fact that we were 3rd the season we went down shows you how big a club we are really. Plus, our attendences have been on the decline for the last few years yet if you factor in the Middlesborough game (takes away about 500 from the average) and just how many games we had on TV, we'd still be right up there. The problem is, what makes a club big is so subjective. Personally, I think we're as big/bigger than a lot of teams in the Premier League so if we lose out to a smaller club again this year, I don't think I'll be able to take it!

Lets not forget we have the biggest Rugby Union club in the world in the City. Its virtually impossible to sell out in the Championship because of this. No other club has a big Rugby team around them. Maybe Leeds but not on the scale as Tigers.

For once Beagrie is pretty much spot on, which is slightly worrying as he's a complete nause. What is everyone so upset about? That he doesn't think we'll piss the league? He's right, we've had a fairly easy first 13 games and our away record has always been a concern. The next few months is a big test and if we get through it then we can tell a few people we told them so.

As regard to the biggest clubs in the championship reference, it's easy for us to not be considered as we are an unfashionable club over the years. I don't know why people get so riled up. Forest and Leeds cannot be questioned in their history and Derby get bigger attendances than us on the whole. Sheffield Wednesday are a bigger club than us. We're about the same as Middlesborough.

That's a very fair point.

I agree he's being completely inconsistent. However, if the size of a club is measured on these three criteria:

a. Past success.

b. Recent success.

c. Current fanbase.

Then Leicester would beat Brighton on (a) and, depending on how far back 'recent success' extends, (b), but not ©.

We'd beat Derby, Sheffield Wednesday and Forest on (b) - if we stipulate a period of, say, 15 years rather than 5, 10, 20 or 25 years - but not on (a) or ©.

We'd beat Blackburn on © but not (a) or (b).

Therefore, when up against past FA Cup winners, League winners, Champions League winners who still draw bigger crowds than us, I'm not how we can possibly fix it so that Leicester are a 'bigger' club. He was right in what he said, just wrong in how he went about saying it.

As a Leicester fan I prefer to think of where we're going to be, rather than where we are or have been (save, of course, for a smattering of years under O'Neill). If we don't want to give Beagrie or Forest and Leeds fans any further satisfaction then I suggest this as the way forward.

You're getting fanbase confused with average attendance.

Fan base is all Leicester fans whether they attend games or not, average attendance is how many can either be bothered, are able to or can afford to go to the games each week. Brighton may be ahead on average attendance but have they got more fans than us? No

Archived