Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC_6410

Nigel in for the long term?!

A Director of Football you are kidding me NFP wouldn't allow that sort of thing he would see it as a direct competition for his job when he goes through a bad spell.

What are your suggestions Marbella Kevin Keegan?

Think he was suggesting without Pearson

you dirty bastard!! lol

To be fair that is a decent point

I know it is not the English way and I am struggling to think of any clubs that actually do this, Crewe with Dario Grady perhaps.

The idea is to break the 'cycle' and bring continuity to the club without getting stuck with a manager who is never going to achieve anything worth while without simply moving the problem 'upstairs' and having to sack the director every season....... :P

Ok guys, I'm going to swear at you all......... :o

Ready, here it comes, Director of Football.

Before I go and wash my mouth out, let me expand on this thought.

A lot of the people who think it best to keep NFP, do so because, quite understandably, they want to avoid the continual cycle;

New manager > clear out old manager's players > bring in new players > call for time for the new team to 'gel' > fail to achieve set objectives > sacked > new manager.................. :dunno:

So, go continental, a director charged with building a coherent style throughout the club, bringing through young players and acquiring new ones and employ a first team coach to work with the players already at the club.

Sure the coach works with the director to bring in players and improve the squad, but within the parameters set by the club and implemented by the director. Sure this system rules out the like of Harry or Jose as managers but they are not going to come here anyway.

For a club in our position it makes perfect sense....... :thumbup::whistle:

Generally hate the idea of directors of football but you make some valid points. I think what is more important is to have a clear image for your football club. Look at Swansea and WBA as examples. Both have had success through being patient and sensible, but also making very sound thought out managerial appointments. Not always the big names, but the names that fit. Martinez, Sousa, Rodgers, Laudrup have all been in charge of the Swans in the not too distant past, but all were hired because their football philosophy made the managerial upheaval minimal.

Generally hate the idea of directors of football but you make some valid points. I think what is more important is to have a clear image for your football club. Look at Swansea and WBA as examples. Both have had success through being patient and sensible, but also making very sound thought out managerial appointments. Not always the big names, but the names that fit. Martinez, Sousa, Rodgers, Laudrup have all been in charge of the Swans in the not too distant past, but all were hired because they're football philosophy made the managerial upheaval minimal.

Totally agree that we should have a clear vision and image for the club. Seems like we just wing it every year and see what happens. You don't have to splash the cash to get out of this league, it's been proven time and time again

Generally hate the idea of directors of football but you make some valid points. I think what is more important is to have a clear image for your football club. Look at Swansea and WBA as examples. Both have had success through being patient and sensible, but also making very sound thought out managerial appointments. Not always the big names, but the names that fit. Martinez, Sousa, Rodgers, Laudrup have all been in charge of the Swans in the not too distant past, but all were hired because their football philosophy made the managerial upheaval minimal.

Absolutely..... :thumbup:

The 'agenda' is set by the club, whether they have a named Director of Football or not. Clearly the right coach/manager has to be appointed but it has to be clear that he is primarily a coach and that his 'management' input, while valuable can not go against the direction that the club has chosen for the longer term.

Difficult I know, British football managers are, by and large, ego driven and very much my way or the high way. They like total control whether it is to bring success or disaster but in my view the game, particularly the games financial side, has gone way beyond the capability of all but a handful of 'do it all' managers.

Time to break the mold I think.... :thumbup:

Pearson is not cheap at all, he's on £800,000 a year I believe.

F**k me and people think he does everything on the cheap including a £1m bonus for him should we get promotion! for the position we are in the league the amount of money he is on is not justifiable imo.

Imagine Nige got us promoted (I know but go with it....) and then we finish 8th in the Prem next year!!! He then gets an offer from Celtic, or Villa or Everton - would he still be in it for the long term with us or would he go where the grass is greener?

You all know the answer, he is as mercenary as anyone else in the football business and the only mugs are those that feel sorry for him if he gets pushed out for being atrocious at his job (which he currently is)

So he is only here for the long term while he is average - we deserve better and then we can attract decent managers like Swansea did (who's managers all left them for greener grass, as will Laudrup next year)

Think about Leicester City, be loyal to Leicester City - not the fvcking manager......

Imagine Nige got us promoted (I know but go with it....) and then we finish 8th in the Prem next year!!! He then gets an offer from Celtic, or Villa or Everton - would he still be in it for the long term with us or would he go where the grass is greener?

You all know the answer, he is as mercenary as anyone else in the football business and the only mugs are those that feel sorry for him if he gets pushed out for being atrocious at his job (which he currently is)

So he is only here for the long term while he is average - we deserve better and then we can attract decent managers like Swansea did (who's managers all left them for greener grass, as will Laudrup next year)

Think about Leicester City, be loyal to Leicester City - not the fvcking manager......

Ok so which other mercenary shall we employ?

Doesn't matter as long as they can do a job for us - we pay a million a year so we should be able to get someone decent .........we don't have that now. And the stability argument looks a bit weak when you throw Swansea into the mix - the only stable thing is they keep appointing decent managers = having a board who know something about football, which it seems we had while Martin George was here

There is actually an answer to this...... :thumbup:

It involves bringing in a decent (preferably young) coach/manager on a realistic contract that acknowledges that this is a temporary situation for both parties, an ambitious manager can serve the club well, for a season or two, by being professional, doing a good job and if successful moving on to bigger and better things.

It's not difficult, it's just a business plan that takes full account of the aspirations of both the club and it's employee but requires solid professional behaviour on both sides........ :o

NP himself may not be in it for the long term, as suggested if something better comes along, he'll leave, as would most.

However the current situation with the owners failing to act on this dismal run, looks to me, like they have decided to back the guy and he will be here until at least next season, he has brought you players with room for development, what we still clearly lack is consistancy.

using the swansea example the chairman decided he wanted a side that was good to watch in the lower leagues and that every appointment since has had to have that philosophy. Our owners don't have the football background to decide on things like this so make appointments and give free reign to the manager.

As mentioned above maybe a statement of intent from the owners would help the situation.

As for managers that hang around for a while, I think unless you have a player who understands the club and the area, they all move on as soon as they can.

I know walshy always fancies a go but for me it's a no go, taggart was here coaching the kids but moved on, dickov has had a crack at oldham and failed.

For me it's a real shame Muzzy never had the aspirations to become a boss, I think he understands the club, the fans and has stayed around the area, for me that is the only way a boss is ever going to stay with us for any real length of time, just look at little, mcghee, o'neill they all had different reasons to move on as they had no real connection to our club.

Archived