Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC_6410

Nigel in for the long term?!

May be looking into this too much, but is Nigel the owners long term plan this is because Pearson has bought the second youngest team in the league (posh have the youngest), he is a cheap manager who spends responsibly and he would be almost perfect for the new FFP rules coming in which makes me think have the owners hired him for the long term with FFP?

I honestly hope so because success is almost impossible to buy but give a manager long enough and he will get the team he wants and improve it season by a season until it is successful and sacking the manager leaves at square one with a new manager wanting a new team which costs a lot!

Does anyone know the length of his contract?

Why do people assume that a new manager coming in will mean a revamp of the squad I can understand one or two changes but it isn't as if he is going to get rid of the whole 11 and buy a new team FFS.

Well i assumed the new manager will have different views to Pearson therefore want different players

Well i assumed the new manager will have different views to Pearson therefore want different players

That is a given but it isn't as if he isn't going to give those players a chance which he will,just like NP did to Sven's signings evaulating the good ones and getting rid of the bad ones, the players we have imo are very good just the current manager isn't getting the best out of them imo, in answer to your question is NP in it for the long term? No the owners objective is to get promotion from this league.

May be looking into this too much, but is Nigel the owners long term plan this is because Pearson has bought the second youngest team in the league (posh have the youngest), he is a cheap manager who spends responsibly and he would be almost perfect for the new FFP rules coming in which makes me think have the owners hired him for the long term with FFP?

I honestly hope so because success is almost impossible to buy but give a manager long enough and he will get the team he wants and improve it season by a season until it is successful and sacking the manager leaves at square one with a new manager wanting a new team which cost a lot!

Good point. I remember when Crewe won the Premier League and FA Cup double under Dario Gradi.

I honestly hope so because success is almost impossible to buy but give a manager long enough and he will get the team he wants and improve it season by a season until it is successful and sacking the manager leaves at square one with a new manager wanting a new team which costs a lot!

I think that depends on the manager in question.

I doubt many fans would feel we'd have 'got there in the end' had we stuck with Taylor or Levein. On the other hand firing Taylor in summer 2001, Adams in summer 2004 and Sven in summer 2011 could well have saved us going into administration, sinking into League One and failing to go up last season.

I really hope so but I wonder how quickly the owners "need" promotion. They've spent a lot, clearly. So how soon do they need to see money coming in?

I'll be very impressed if they stick with Pearson, it'll really demonstrate their commitment to building a club. They'll certainly have my approval if they do.

Promotion takes time give over pal lol teams have got promoted in one season you cannot discount that.

Fair enough but most those teams aren't sustained in the PL they just slide back down through lack of quality and lack of team cohesion which if you give a manager enough time (3 years at least) they can get a decent squad that wants to play together a compliments each other rather than a transfer season rush as they a new to a club and want new players.

I think that depends on the manager in question.

I doubt many fans would feel we'd have 'got there in the end' had we stuck with Taylor or Levein. On the other hand firing Taylor in summer 2001, Adams in summer 2004 and Sven in summer 2011 could well have saved us going into administration, sinking into League One and failing to go up last season.

I agree but we have seen what the team that Nigel has got and it is capable of promotion with a few years of tweaking.

Do you also remember Alex Ferguson not winning anything in his first six years as Man United manager?

Except for the FA Cup, the UEFA Super Cup, the UEFA Cup Winners Cup and the Charity Shield.

Oh, and this is the same Alex Ferguson who had - prior to that - won five cups and three leagues in Scotland, the UEFA Cup and the Super Cup, and managed the national team. And he finished second with Manchester United in his first season. So there were very good reasons for believing he would come good, and in the recent past rather than - as in our case with, say, Sven - the distant.

Fair enough but most those teams aren't sustained in the PL they just slide back down through lack of quality and lack of team cohesion which if you give a manager enough time (3 years at least) they can get a decent squad that wants to play together a compliments each other rather than a transfer season rush as they a new to a club and want new players.

Norwich (Lambert) Sunderland ( Roy Keane), West Brom ( Di Matteo) for example all under there respective management who had one season at this level got promotion and those clubs are sustainable in the prem.

Except for the FA Cup, the UEFA Super Cup, the UEFA Cup Winners Cup and the Charity Shield.

Oh, and this is the same Alex Ferguson who had - prior to that - won five cups and three leagues in Scotland, the UEFA Cup and the Super Cup, and managed the national team. And he finished second with Manchester United in his first season. So there were very good reasons for believing he would come good, and in the recent past rather than - as in our case with, say, Sven - the distant.

Fair, was just the title rather than anything at all then. Still he survived a long barren spell complete with widespread calls for him to go....

Norwich (Lambert) Sunderland ( Roy Keane), West Brom ( Di Matteo) for example all under there respective management who had one season at this level got promotion and those clubs are sustainable in the prem.

3 out of maybe hundreds.... and the chance of getting the right manager for this are very slim and is an very expensive process to sack a a manger who doesn't achieve promotion at the end of the year

2 of those were newly relagated from the Premier league.. Very different scenario.

Nigel Worthington had a few years with Norwich, McDermott a couple with Reading and both of those came down. Little had three seasons with us and we came straight back down. On the other hand Keegan, O'Neill, Di Matteo, Rodgers, Jewell, Allardyce, Hughton and Keane are among the managers who have won promotions after just a year with a club which has, subsequently, remained in the Premier League.

Nigel Worthington had a few years with Norwich, McDermott a couple with Reading and both of those came down. Little had three seasons with us and we came straight back down. On the other hand Keegan, O'Neill, Di Matteo, Rodgers, Jewell, Allardyce, Hughton and Keane are among the managers who have won promotions after just a year with a club which has, subsequently, remained in the Premier League.

Yes but most of those were newly relegated sides with PL quality already in the team

Quote from The Guardian '

The 48-year-old returns to the Foxes having signed a contract that lasts until the end of the 2013‑2014 season, replacing the sacked Sven-Goran Eriksson, after a compensation package was agreed with Championship rivals Hull City, who swiftly announced the appointment of Nick Barmby as caretaker manager. '

Do you also remember Alex Ferguson not winning anything in his first six years as Man United manager?

Was that when Manchester United had the highest playing budget in the division (like us) and had stated their aim to win the league and anything else would be failure (as we have about promotion?)

Ask me a sensible question and you might get a serious response, eh?

Was that when Manchester United had the highest playing budget in the division (like us) and had stated their aim to win the league and anything else would be failure (as we have about promotion?)

Ask me a sensible question and you might get a serious response, eh?

You can spend millions and still be rubbish e.g Sven, it takes time and good managing to get to the top

Archived